Register now to get rid of these ads!

Desoto Hemi roller cam and blower intake...pix inside

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rat bastad, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Well Hemi guys after much research, many emails and mucho annoyance of Bored & Stroked here on the HAMB, my hyd roller blower cam turned up the other day from Herbert Cams/Donny in CA.

Looks great and well turned out. I had a nice std dist drive gear grafted on the cam by Donny so that I wouldnt have to use a bronze gear and incur all the issues that bronze particles in the oil bring. Super sano work too !!

Specs:

Single pattern hyd roller grind
    255 @ dur @ .050 intake
    255 @ dur @ .050" exhaust
    .550" lift in/exh
    110 Lobe centers (Hemis dont really like the wider LC normally used on other blown engines)

The price was fair and although it took a while longer, it seems Donny has had his hands full and was also away at bonneville and a few other places during that time. paitence was the key here hehe right Dale?

A HUUUGE thank you to Dale (Bored & Stroked) for all his help and patience on this deal, without him it would have been a LOT more difficult to get this piece made for my project.

So Dale, MUCHO thanx to you, i owe ya brother !!

Rat

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  2. drfreeze

drfreeze

oooooo I'm next ! can't wait to see it together...............

3. Doc...the 6-71 lung arrives tomorrow...will have to out up some pix of how it looks with the Williamson blower intake.

I promised Pete I would !!

Rat

4. SEE!!! I TOLD everybody that he makes NEW DeSoto cams! Wait till you hear that puppy fire up :D. His work is absolutely immpecable...and worth the wait. Good job, RAT!...

5. Should thump and haul in a light car !!

Rat

6. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Were did you find a desoto blower intake?

7. drfreeze

drfreeze

williamson speed equipmet Hamb id (38 mopar_fan )
    The wait is well worth it!!!! i'll run out in the garage and snap some pics for you......

Attached Files:

8. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Man that's the lick there :D I gotta get one of those.

9. No problem . . . most of us Yanks consider our hotrod friends in OZ as brothers (and if you don't, just take a trip over and meet up with a few). I'm looking forward to hearing Rat's Hemi bark, snarl and shake a bit :D

Update on Donnie Johansen: He is the son of Howard Johansen (Howard's
    Cams and Rods). He sold the original cam business and name to the outfit in Oshkosh, WI. He kept all the older CAM masters, machines, etc.. He was linked to Herbert cams for quite awhile - he made all the "weird stuff" - older Hemi, DeSoto, etc.. Just recently he sold his specialty cam business to a very good machinist (I think something like Contraras???) - and Donnie will still be working with him for at least a year (maybe longer if he continues to like it!). He seems very jazzed about the new relationship, more resources, etc.. I think it will be much easier to get special cams out of him now -- hopefully, as I have a 392 roller that I have on the order books! Donnie is hard to get in touch with - he is very busy, if anybody needs something from him, let me know and I'll ask him how he wants to be contacted with the new company/setup.

10. Well, Donny saved my bacon with MY DeSoto roller...and he is the one that turned me on to the Mopar LA retro rollers that slip into the DeSoto engines...some more easily than others. If the word gets out on a GOOD source for new Desoto flat and roller cams, and the sources now becoming availible for all sorts of new DeSoto intakes...watch out. All those DeSoto engines that people have been using for boat anchors (because of the LACK of these parts) should now see new life. The DeSoto's have engineering that is right on par with the Chryslers. As a matter of fact, rumor has it that the LA engines were based on the DeSoto's. RAT - I hope your "Start-Up" video is better than mine was...wait til you hear it...;)

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice! Good to see you got it all together! Now finish the rest of the damn engine! :D

12. cracker head

cracker head

Good deal on the camshaft, and that blower intake looks sexy!

I would like to ask a stupid question... how does one go about "grafting" a stock dist. gear onto a new cam?

13. I guess he machines the core billet and the dist gear section of the cam to fit into each other with an interference fit kinda deal? Not sure...

Our Kwiw firend Pete Williamson did a brilliant job on this intake - a very nice casting that fits well and should flow very well with the 6-71.

Pete thanx for giving us Desoto owners some options !! Well done !!

Here are some pix of my 330 with the Intake fitted....

Rat

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  14. dehudso

dehudso

Awesome! What lifters are you going to use?

15. RAT - I notice that your thermostat housing is pointing up, just like mine did. I found that once I got the blower/drive/pulley mounted on my intake, there was a problem getting the outlet to clear the pulley at that angle. I wound up pie-cutting the housing and rotating the cut piece welding/finishing it so that when installed, it pointed straight forward. My intake is different/lower than yours, so it may not be a problem for you. BEAUTIFUL engine...

Attached Files:

• 50.JPG
      50.JPG
      File size:
      38.5 KB
      Views:
    • 52.JPG
      52.JPG
      File size:
      57.1 KB
      Views:
    • 51.JPG
      51.JPG
      File size:
      35.6 KB
      Views:
    • 65.JPG
      65.JPG
      File size:
      58.7 KB
      Views:
  16. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

I've got an NOS Weiand Drag Star for my Desoto, but DAMN!...I'm diggin' that blower intake!

17. E.C.

E.C.
    from Tx

AWESOME!!! Donny is a cam grinding bad ass and a cool person to talk with. Atleast you have a real cam for your Desoto unlike most people on here who dont have a fuckin clue.

18. cracker head

cracker head

Got an extra you wanna part with?:D

19. cracker head

cracker head

What are you trying to say? My R.V. cam isn't good enough?

20. NOPE. HAHA LMAO .....

Seriously though, I did'nt want a std regrind/lower base circle cam for this engine....I wanted it to breather DEEP with this lung and make some decent HP/TQ.

I'm running hyd roller lifters made by the same people who makes Comps stuff.....but like 350-400 clam$ cheaper, same as 345 DeSoto !! By all accounts identical to the Comp lifters in performance and quality. Word on the street is that a LOT of Comps shit aint made Stateside anymore - no prizes for guessin where they get made either !!

I wanted a roller for more area under the curve, less internal friction, and with less aggressive ramps for less spring pressure on this engine which will be primarily street/light strip. The higher duration @ .050" numbers are permissable with a roller cam, typically I allow for 8-12 deg more than a comparable solid flat tappet.

Also my ride is light, runs decent gearing, will be blown and runs a 5 spd so the extra duration will be welcome here.

Need to get Veolia to now provide pistons, rings, pins.

Roll on....

Rat

21. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love mock-ups! :)

22. Another option (here you go billet haters!) is a water neck where the neck rotates inside the bolt-down flange -- with an O-ring to seal it. This allows you to position the water neck in any position. I've used these on other engines -- some were cast, billet aluminum or stainless . . . believe you can get them from a variety of sources.

Here is a stainless one that could be "reworked" a bit to make it look more traditional (if you're worried about it).

http://performancesst.com/home.php?cat=29&treem=1

Rat: That is one fine looking Hemi! . . . gotta love RED -- same color I'm going to use on mine! (guess I'm a bit biased).

23. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Rat, that cam looks fantastic, working on getting one for my 330. Thanks for posting photos of the manifold mounted on the shiny red motor. Looking forward to some progress shots as you get close to firing it.
    Cheers
    Peter

24. RE: Grafting on a stock cast iron end - to use a cast-iron distributor gear.

Donnie takes a stock cam, cuts off the end of it, bores it out and does a slight press fit onto the end of the 8620 roller billet. When I got the cam back from him, I believe I saw a roll-pin that pinned the two pieces together as well.

He charges an extra $100-125 for this addition - well worth it for a street engine that you plan on putting some miles in. It is a pain in the ass for him to do, I'm sure he doesn't make any money on it by the time he screws around with it!

25. cracker head

cracker head

Huh, thats cool. Thanks for the explination.

26. Look what Santa brought in early this year.....mmmmm !!!

Rat

Attached Files:

27. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Dam that's a great looking engine you are building mate

28. I know exACTLY how you feel...:D

29. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

That's bloody grouse RB.

Looking good now.

Looking forward to these beast running.

BTW, where's the Charger?

HC.

30. Holy Jesus Chrysler.........that De Soto is a awesome sight.....that thing will have a nasty thump to it......can't wait to hear it roar down the 1320....