Register now to get rid of these ads!

265 SBC Crate Engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fivewindow Johnnie, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Thought you guys might be interested........and some of you might be able to shed more light on the topic as well.

In late August, the weekend of the Gunnison Car Show, during the after party at my place, I heard about this. Dan Jetter, brother of 40StudeDude on here,(Roger), was checking out my junk and said, "do you have any interest in a 265 crate engine?". Well the answer was a resounding YES ! Long story short, Dan and Roger got me the contact info for the fella who had it, we made a deal.

The older gentleman who had this said it was a '55-'56 265 Crate engine that he bought from a dealership in '71 along with Two others just like it. Sold the other Two back then, and kept this one for himself for the last 38 years. He is a Tri-Five Chevy guy to the bone and had lots of restoration type stuff in his garage.

The 265 consist of the Block, Crank, Rods, Pistons, Cam, Timing Gears & Chain, and the Timing Cover. It's not a first year block as it has a boss for a cannister style oil filter, so I'm pegging it as a '56 until I learn more.

Also, there is a pint of GM Engine Oil Supplement (Concentrate) in the crate, it says "to ease engine break-in". It is in an old style can with no bar code or list of ingredients.

The Crate is marked as follows:

HALF ENGINE

There are a few hanging tags on the block, one that matches the paint on the crate, another telling that you must use a "full flow" oil filter and so on. Nothing earth shattering here, but at some point I'm gonna have brand new 265 in one of the Rods !

Johnnie.

PS: A big thanks to Dan and Roger for helping hook me up with new 265 !

Here's some pics:

Attached Files:

2. A few more pics................

Attached Files:

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

HOLY SHIT!!! That pretty awesome I say. I am putting a 265 in my '35 Coue right now and have a thread about building one of these little guys up. I think they are the coolest of all Chevy V8's and I would love to see that thing in person.

4. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

5. Jeffrey,

Trust me, I have been watching your thread with great interest. It would seem that you and I should get along greatly. Mine are slated for duty in Two '36's, a Three Window and a Roadster. If a Red Ram Hemi doesn't get in the way on the 3W.

I actually have Two of these, the new one pictured above and a first year '55 version that I bought froma fellow HAMB'er. The '55 version has no provision for an oil filter, just in & out ports for a remote filter like a flathead.

When you're ready for that Colorado vacation, let me know, you can definately see it in person.

Johnnie.

6. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

I have a set of 56 exhaust manifolds that would fit that nicely!

7. Herdez

Herdez

very cool find!

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn, I might take you up on that!!! I might even through in some study time on your 5 window '32 because I have a real gem that I need to put back together eventually.

As far as the Roadster and the 3 window go, I should have my 56 motor in and running my Christmas if I can find a build in the next few weeks.

9. Shouldn't tell me things like that, I know where you live.............

10. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Crate engines are gay!!

11. Fogger

Fogger

Now that's funny. But not the seasoned ones from the '50s

12. Ghost28

Ghost28

Damn. I'm gonna have a talk wit them jetter boys, and find out what else they know about. But I am glad it will be going to good use...John

13. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

Damn...that's cool!!

14. slammed

slammed

Soooooooo, is she fer sale?

15. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

LOL...just becuz you're close and 'kin talk wit us' don't mean we're going to give away all our secrets...and Ghost, just wait'll you see the cool old wagon we found...

Johnnie, I'm sure glad that crate engine found a good home...and thanx for the kudos...

R-

16. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

Indiana Jones would be proud...

[​IMG]

NICE SCORE

17. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

man yer killing me!

18. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

I was totally thinking Indiana Jones!

Great score. Glad to see someone has inherited that engine who will use it.

Congrats.

19. The economy is not that bad...............

20. DEVIL DAN

DEVIL DAN

So are some people

21. DEVIL DAN

DEVIL DAN

I have a 56 vett running a 265 twin four carters high lift cam, good motors you wont have to many troubles, all block casting where 3720991 accept for a very few that went into high performance corvette

22. Studely

Studely
    from Pueblo, CO

Holy shit-balls, Johnnie! Yer the coolest dude I know...

23. Dan,

Thanks for the info, I'll check the number...........

Johnnie.

24. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Hold on...waitaminnit...I thot you told me I was...did I get replaced...???

R-

25. onedge

onedge

so cool, let's call it an nos service engine.

26. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

Crate engines are kick ass
    [​IMG]

27. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Yeah, this is pretty neat. Not sure I could tear it out of it's resting place. It looks pretty content in that wooden box!

28. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

hello i saw your post on the 265 crate motor. i also came across a 327 crate motor. the guy i bought it from bought it from a dealer in 1970. not sure what i am going to use it in but had to have it

29. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

You are going to like it. I have a '66 283 in my '36. Poor me, I have another one out of the same batch for another project. One of the other ones went into Dillards Roadster. Wayno

30. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Orgazmo!!!