Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Hand Fuel Pump, is that the name?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Nov 10, 2009.

1. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'm looking for an old hand fuel pump to pressurize my gas tank for the T I'm building. I've been searching all over but I'm not sure if I am using the correct wording. I call them "Hand Fuel Pumps" because that's what they are but I've found very little that leads me to where I could score one.

I know Eelco made them, as well, they came on some early cars, Caddys for sure.

So, fellas... can you help me? Anyone have one?

Were they items that racers built back in the day? If so, out of what?

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

3. -Brent-

-Brent-

Yeah, I've searched that too... but those pumps weren't primers. They pressurized the tank in place of a fuel pump.

There are a total of 24 threads on the HAMB about them, elsewhere though, that's another story.

4. BELLM

BELLM

I have an old Eelco, will probably be one of the last things I ever sell, along with the 3.5 gal Moon tank that was on my friends altered roadster back in the early 60s.

5. This may sound dumb, but I always thought the hand pumps to pressurize fuel tanks look an awfull lot like the hand pump on a beer keg tap.

Attached Files:

6. Standard32

Standard32
    from LA

7. sota

sota

Speedway sells one, they show up on EBAY ever now and then.You also make your own thank grease gun.

8. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'd like an authentic one. In doing research for my 1920 cut-down T build I've seen a lot of Indy and land-speed cars running them. My tank is below my carb and I'd like to have the option of putting a little pressure into the tank.

Tease! :D

9. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

I got three pressure pumps from Lou Senter himself a while back when he started to retool them in his shop, but it was too much work for him so he sold the rights to produce them to an engineering co. in Anaheim........I believe they are making them for Speedway Motors........good American product from the old ANSEN design........

CB

10. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

Rub it in why don't 'ya!

11. -Brent-

-Brent-

So I assume I've got the name correct then?

12. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I was lazy & bought one from Steve at Limeworks. It's a very nice piece.
    In 6 months, it made it out of my truck & on the parts shelf.:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Fuel pressure pump or just pressure pump is I think likeliest old nomenclature. "Fuel pump" was not used by rodders for these, and they aren't really fuel pumps in the direct sense.

14. Algon

Algon

For gravity feed carbs that is true but the main intended use of these Eelco and Moon pumps as with the tanks before they became fashionable catch cans was for fuel injection.

He is not wrong in calling it a primer and I often hear them called tank primers. The pump does not directly prime the engine with fuel but the pressure built up primes the fuel pump when there is one with carbs or injection. Depending on the type of pump you run on an injector fuel can bypass to the nozzles and actually prime the engine when the tank valve is opened. This keeps you from dumping fuel down the injector for easy starts.

15. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks, Bruce. In all your hot rod "worldliness" do you know anyone whose got one for sale?

I'm thinking about converting a late 20's era brass hand pump to do the job if I cannot find one.

16. Algon

Algon

Hey man there is an Eelco one with the bracket and shut off valve on Ebay.

If you don't have something to start with I have a pump you may want if you build one. It is the same size as an Eelco pump but brass send me a PM if you want to mess with it....

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"Primer", though, is usually connected to another device, somewhat similar in appearance but smaller diameter, that is an actual hand fuel pump used to squirt a bit of gas into the system to get an aircraft engine running. Little old ones look like miniature pressure pumps, big WWII ones were fat and lumpy with a "wobble" handle.
    I have a couple NFS Eelco's, with matching tanks...the Eelco and Moon ones would be "correct" for '50's and '60's rods. The ancient ones from early Cadillacs and luxury cars are sort of the "correct" thing for prewar sprint cars and such. The hotrod ones are pretty common, though certainly not cheap!

18. -Brent-

-Brent-

Awesome, yes I noticed it too. That pump really isn't from the era I'm working with... but I've got my eye on it.

I'll PM you, and thanks for your insite. I appreciate it.

19. Algon

Algon

Cool if you can use it, its free... Well you'd have to pay the shipping.;)

20. Cool accessory, would look good mounted on a T roadster.

That said, I wouldn't be pumping fuel with it on the street or track - if track personnel would let you.

NHRA outlawed them for good reason....

21. -Brent-

-Brent-

That's exactly what I'm building a late 30's era T roadster... lakes/Indy inspired. It's really just to get a little air pressure into the tank when the volume isn't enough (gravity-wise).

I get that it can be dangerous... I think the NHRA would stop me before they saw the pump since it's got bias plys, mechanical brakes, and various other 80+ year old parts. :D

22. oj

oj

I looked into this for when i wanted to run mechanical injectors. I am trying to remember where i found it but there is a hand primer pump from a WWII tank motor, it was a dash mounted knob that you turned to release and it would come out about 4" and you'd pump it to get pressure and the last pump you'd hold it down and give it a turn to lock it down and it would pressurize the fuel system and prime the carbs. It was afew years ago and i'll try to remember where i found this gizmo.

23. Herdez

Herdez

They also look like the compact bicycle hand pumps too! Just never seen anybody use one. Old efi is too expensive to try this but i wish i had a setup for my car.

24. Sounds very much like the manual primer pump found on small Cessna aircraft.

150, 152 172 etc.

Smaller than the good ol Moon pump by quite a bit.
    About the size of a Holley manual choke knob.

They have a knurled steel knob - may be aluminum since it's for aircraft, regardless, makes for easy starting.

25. -Brent-

-Brent-

That's good to know, too. I spoke to a fellow earlier that told me a lot of the pumps were home-made items. I don't doubt it either looking at some of the photos. Brass would put me in the correct era.

I'd love to find more info but this is such a specific topic, it's difficult.

26. gas pumper

gas pumper

Brent-Think bicycle pump. Shorten the barrel and shaft. it already has the proper foot valve and another check valve in the piston.

Also look at adapting the pump part of a garden sprayer, ones that handle harsh chemicals have brass pumps.

27. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'm picking up what you're putting down! :D

28. 296ardun

296ardun

Pressure pumps. I had an Eelco mounted in the dash of my roadster, and right next to it a gauge so I would not bend the carb floats -- which happened if you hit more than around 4 lb/sq in....a lot of the old race cars had them mounted outside of the cockpit, next to the handbrake.

29. I thought about making my own once upon a time.

An old tire pump, perhaps with new leather for the inside.
    Aluminum jacket over the tire pump steel body or use aluminum tube as the body.

New aluminum knob, mounting brackets etc.

If you cut the aluminum body down to the right size, you could slip a piece of thin-wall brass tubing over it and retain the brass via JB Weld or catch it between the two threaded ends.

30. -Brent-

-Brent-

So... I've learned a bit more and thought I'd report back. Back in the day these were refered to as hand primers, fuel/air pressure pumps, or air pressure pumps.

A couple 20's companies were Kigass Pumps (also made for tractors), Enots Air Pressure pump, and Bently produced pumps for their cars as well.

I heard there's a man reproducing pumps and I'd like to see what he does to make them. I'll be sure to post anything I find here as I learn more.