Register now to get rid of these ads!

We have a shop truck, 1960 F100 Panel truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChromePlaterJosh, Nov 9, 2009.

1. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

Plans are to chrome the sucker out and get our chrome shop's name on it, and bring it to shows (front discs maybe.) It has a 70's? vintage Ford 400V8 2barrel/C6 AT. Plenty of power even in this behemoth. It has its share of rust and bondo, but nothing unfixable or debilitating. As far as I know, the front clip is identical to the pickups, so front fenders shouldn't be hard to come by. It made the 30 mile trek back to the shop without a hiccup, other than jumping it at the gas station. I think the alternator is bad, not a problem since my dad has rebuilt thousands just like it many moons ago; back when they were late model alternators.

We are not sure about what to do about a rear bumper. Right now it has an ugly chunk of angle iron on it.

Since this is the first 60 Ford Panel I can remember seeing, does anyone else here have one, or even a 57 or 58? I have searched and found a lot of 57-60 F100 pickups, but no panels. Anything interesting about it I should know about?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Xea

Xea

Ssswwweeeeeeeettt!

3. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

yep, that is cool.

4. Okievoodoo

Okievoodoo

5. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

Those probably didn't come out with rear bumpers. I'd get a front bumper and modify it for the rear. Cool ass project, keep us updated.

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

GV Gordon just got one a couple months ago... cool score!!

7. codeblu

codeblu

I know where one of those is hiding in a shed up here on the mountain, haven't been able to find the owners of the property as yet.

8. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

So who's got an extra front bumper, lol? I did notice the front bumper is about twice as thick as a normal car bumper of the era. It is going to be heavy when I go to polish it up for plating. The front fenders are pretty bad in person, so anyone nearby with decent used ones out there, let me know. maybe trade for chrome work?

My dad was thinking of getting a generic chrome step bumper for the rear. I would like the idea if we could find a step bumper with a bit of a curve to it to fit the body.

The truck came with a bunch of brake parts in the back, so hopefully what we need to get the brakes working properly will be in that pile of parts.

9. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Have you thought about not running a rear bumper? If it were me I wouldn't put a step bumper on it but since it's gonna be your shop truck ya might need it.

10. BenW455

BenW455

11. Awesome project-keep us posted. Tell us how you are going to fill the hole that is left when you remove the opera window. You are going to remove it, right?

12. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I like it...if it where mine I'd fill in them 70's style windows on the sides. But all in all it's a cool ride! I bet that baby drinks the gas.

13. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

I really want a rear bumper on there. Not just for function, but to add some more chrome to the rear. The front end is going to be all plated, the rear end only has the tailight mouldings for chrome. The rear just seems "naked."

If anyone local is capable of properly filling in those aweful opera windows, I am very interested. I don't trust myself with it. We can trade plating for body work.

We were told that the customization was done in the 70's. The V8, opera windows, and thick white carpet throughout the interior; which is going away very soon.

14. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Nice '46 Chevy in the background.

You need a bumper so you can also put a trailer hitch under it so you can haul a trailer to pick up all the chrome work you're going to land at the shows!

15. Orange Crate

Orange Crate

You do realize that the 1960 model was the LAST F-100 panel truck that Ford produced........

16. NiceFloor

NiceFloor
    from Albany, NY

That will be nice...

17. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

I knew it was the last year for that particular body style (57-60), apparently Ford stopped panel trucks after that? Even cooler...

Danimal,

I figured you would notice the 46, but you know there's not much nice about that rust bucket, lol.

18. very cool...gonna make a nice shop truck...I learned how to drive in a 60 f100 that my Dad had when we lived in Fort Wayne so I have always had a soft spot for those

19. frankthetank62

frankthetank62

20. Nice Panel.

I have one too, and it has a rear bumper. not sure if it is stock, but it looks right. not chrome, though, painted steel.

I'd definitely run a rear bumper..unless you have a good supply of rear doors sitting around. All you need is some dummy to hit you. They probably put the angle iron one on there after the rear door got hit.

the taillight lenses (the corner ones) are like hen's teeth. Keep on the lookout for spares, and buy them.

21. johnboy13

johnboy13

This is a 67-79 Ford Truck front bumper on the back of my 57 F100, it should fit your panel as well. You'll have to fab some brackets. Chrome the front bumper and you're golden.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

I like the panel it looks like it was straight out of the 70's

23. sololobo

sololobo

Josh, what a cool rig!! Go for the chrome. Glad to hear you are ditchin the opera windows, doubt if you will be going to the opera any time soon anyway. I don't remember ever seeing a 60 panel b-4, coolsville!! ~Sololobo~

24. those panels are the same as the pickups from the doors forward. they came with back bumpers and were one of the first things destroyed along with the rear tailights. they make cool shop trucks.

25. gearhead1952

gearhead1952

Nice truck. I love the panels. I did not realize that 60 was the last year for them. I do have a pair of rear bumper brackets for 53-56 panels if interested pm me. I had bought them to see if I could use them on a 48-52 panel but the early panels have curved rear bumpers and the 53-56 have a straight or nearly straight bumper.

26. Definately Kool!

27. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

Good idea, but the pickup box is very sqaure, the panel truck's rearend has a lot of curve to it. I think the ends would stick out from the body even if the center was tight to it.

Good news is we have bumpers of all sorts come through the shop for rechroming. I will try to find one that makes a good match then get my own.

I should have taken a pic of the inside; it is all carpet. Strait from the 70's indeed.

28. I almost bought a 60 Panel down here in So Cal a year ago. The only reason I didn't was that the rear doors were really effed up and I couldn't find replacements at the time. I dig the portholes :)

29. hershambob

hershambob

30. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Leave the carpet in there and call it "The Conceptor"

lol