Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's see some cool shift knobs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAILEIGH INC, Nov 9, 2009.

1. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I have seen a few floating around on here.

Post up some pics!

2. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I had a shifter knob with a spider in it, I don't think my wife would be comin' along for a ride!:eek::D - Rick

4. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Well,I had a friend surprise me with a shift knob he made for me out of aluminum,only because we talked about an idea I had for one.He's a machinist and programmer by trade for 20 years,and he snuck this through his shop and made it for based on the idea I told him about,and brought it to me at my work the other day. It's solid aluminum(not billet) with speed holes drilled through and a mounting post with a hole drilled so that I can bore the hole out for it if I have to to fit the car I'm picking up Sunday.Now I just need to find someone to polish it,as it looks brushed to to taking the imperfections out with emery cloth. Oh,and it was made out of a 1" block of aluminum :

[​IMG]

Let's here the reactions on this,I'll brace myself.

5. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I like it :cool:

6. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

It was based on an actual knuckleduster that was given to me a friend of mine that's in law enforcement.He picked it up off of some punk kid and brought it to me because i was looking for one as a shifter. I realized it was too thin to mount,so I told my machinist friend about the idea and he came to me 2 weeks later with a CAD design on paper,then he wrote the program and another two weeks later he brought the shift knob. He nailed it just as I pictured it in my head.

7. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

my latest. Thanks to Jason for the Frank

Attached Files:

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I like them simple and well used. There is nothing cooler then a used shift knob where you can imagine the previous own bangin through the gears in the Hey Day of Hot Rods!!!

This one came with my '35 Coupe...
    [​IMG]

9. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

10. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Nice,I like them both.Is the skull and wings actual silver?

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

If you want to see cool...and hand-crafted glass knobs...of myriad choices and colors, check out my son's business: www.Dichrome.com...

I'd bet he can even build some with Baileigh inside them...

R-

12. Gator

Gator

13. Here's one I did for the roadster pickup. It started life as a B&M or Hurst knob but I reshaped it more like an egg and embedded a grille emblem in it.

Charlie

Attached Files:

14. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Billet means it was machined from a block.... You have a billet shift knob!!!

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the one I made from a 2 dollar universal bakelite lawnmower knob and a 1934 exposition souvenir medal.

16. Mercchev

Mercchev

Here's one we put in my kid's Trans Am...I pulled it off an US Navy A-7E Corsair that I flew to the aircraft boneyard in Tucson back in the 80's. The old guy who parked me after I landed asked if I wanted anything off it...I said "The whole thing", but I settled for the control stick. My son used to play with it in my office 'til he got old enough to drive and asked if we could use it on his car. Great use of a piece of history, in my humble opinion.

Attached Files:

17. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

Here ,s mine i switch out frome time to time.

18. autobilly

autobilly

I dig it, good use of a cool old medal. An interesting trinket for any old Ford cockpit.

19. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

I found this article that was posted on Motorcycle Cruiser:

What's Billet?

By Evans Brafield.

[​IMG]
    Cobra machined each of these two Valkyrie radiator covers from solid pieces of billet aluminum measuring 2.5 x 4 x 9 inches and weighing 9.5 pounds. These slender parts now tip the scales at less than a pound. Photo by Fran Kuhn.

Billet is a term tossed around frequently and loosely in cruiserland, but many people are confused about what billet actually is and why it's usually expensive. We recently heard of a proud cruiser owner who (when responding to a question about a bolt-on accessory) said, "That's not aluminum; that's billet." Clearly, some confusion exists here.
    A quick trip to the dictionary tells us that a billet is simply a "bar of metal." Billets can be made of magnesium or steel or iron or lead, but because of its light weight and relatively low cost (compared with other light metals such as magnesium and titanium), aluminum works best for cruising applications. However, since pure aluminum is a fairly soft metal, the aluminum most billet accessories are machined from is actually an alloy of aluminum and other metals.
    The folks at Jardine tell us that one of the most popular alloys found in motorcycle parts is 6061-T6 aluminum. In the 1950s the Aluminum Association adopted a four-digit numerical classification system for aluminum. The first digit, the six, states that this alloy contains aluminum, magnesium, and silicon; giving the alloy good formability, corrosion resistance, and strength. (If the first digit were a one, the metal would be more than 99 percent pure aluminum.) The zero means that special controls to limit particular impurities within the alloy were not incorporated (not a concern in motorcycle applications). The final two digits identify the particular alloy within the aluminum, magnesium, and silicon group. The -T6 designates aluminum alloys that have been thermally treated and artificially aged for additional hardness. So, to sum it all up: 6061-T6 aluminum is a light, strong, corrosion-resistant alloy that is ideally suited for motorcycling.
    Since billet aluminum parts start their lives as blocks of aluminum, the finished parts must be carved from these blocks. Cobra's manufacturing engineer took us through the process of turning a boring block of aluminum into a part that is ready for the chromer or polisher. When Cobra develops a new part, all of the measurements are taken from the OE part that is being replaced or from where the new part will be mounted. The measurements are then turned into a 3-D wire-frame model on a computer. At this point, styling touches that influence the look and feel of the part can be previewed without cutting a single piece of aluminum. Once the part has been completely designed, the engineer creates the cutter tool list and the carving order that will result in the completed part (like a sculptor progressively removing aluminum from the billet). Cobra's new Valkyrie radiator covers shown above are a good example.
    Yes, much of a piece of aluminum billet ends up in the recycling bin after a milling machine has extracted a part from within it. Unfortunately, aluminum chips return only pennies on the dollar of the cost of billet aluminum. That fact and the expensive, computer-controlled machinery required to precisely cut each part explain the higher cost of billet accessories. So, if billet parts are expensive to produce why not just die-cast the parts? Simply put, die-cast parts are made from aluminum poured into a mold, therefore it's difficult to achieve the uniform structure, strength, and flawless finish found in top-quality billet parts. Billet-look or billet-like parts are usually cast items dipped in chrome.
    Now, when someone refers to a part as billet, you'll know what they think they're talking about.

Well,whether it's billet or not,I don't care,it's custom made and a one off,but he still has the CNC program if I need a backup made.
    Here's better pics of it by the way:

Attached Files:

20. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

21. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

How about hand made w/ a drill press w/ filing bits?
    Wasnt fast, wasnt easy, and wasnt 100% perfect, but sure
    it was kool as hell and trust me nobody believed i made it that way.
    Unfortunateley sum shitface decided he liked it too and
    snatched i from my car few months ago! i wonder how i would have felt
    if i had to pay for it! Lucky enuff i have another chunk of alu
    from which i can made another one....i just need another spare
    week of time.....:eek:...more or less!
    Im also workin on plain and simple round glass knobs, i was thinkin they
    might be of intrest for guys w/ very traditional hot rods....im not
    plannin on very intricate stuff like dichrome but plain and simple
    transparent colored glass, or maybe just a swirl version in two colors.
    My girl works in a glass chandelier factory and has friends
    in the production line that can made a few if needed.
    Just testin the ground w:confused:hat do you guys say?

Attached Files:

22. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Nice.That's my fear with my knuck shifter,but I have an idea how to attach it so it isn;t so easy to take off.Plus my friend that made mine has the program saved on his PC for the CNC machine

23. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

It looks like it was made for that car!

24. granny

granny
    from WA state

Just a cheap $20. skull knob from NAPA that i drilled for my radio shack LineLoc button (the car ain't hamb friendly)...

[​IMG]

25. cherrytart20

cherrytart20
    from Carson, CA

26. johnnysun13

johnnysun13
    from pomona, ca

Attached Files:

27. KIRK!

KIRK!

My favorite of those posted. The "Hey, look at me!" ones do nothing for me.

Keep it simple!