Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Lincoln/Mercury Ball Joint Conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Garage Concepts, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Garage Concepts

Garage Concepts

Been thinking of converting my front suspension from king pin to ball joint. I've done some research and decided to run the tubular A-Arms that Jamco Suspension has to offer instead of modifying my existing arms. The kit they have available is 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern only. It also said, the kit only uses 1975-80 Ford Granada spindles and disc brakes.

I know my rear measures about 60". How can i match my rear end with the same bolt pattern and disc brake conversion?

What cars have anything similar? Hope this make sense:D

Thanks
    GC

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  2. Garage Concepts

Garage Concepts

3. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I am just going with the stock set up on mine

4. Garage Concepts

Garage Concepts

5. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

5x4-1/2 is standard Ford pattern, most 9 inch rearends will have the same pattern. As an added benefit you will be able to get some decent gear ratios with a rearend upgrade.

6. Garage Concepts

Garage Concepts

Any specific year's i should look into?

7. Garage Concepts

Garage Concepts

8. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Rear end from a '67-70 big-block Mustang is a nine-incher about 59 1/2 inches wide, mounting face to mounting face. Small-block cars got eight-inch rears. As an added bonus, the spring mounting pads are (probably, they work on most Fords) in the right place, as well.

Earlier Mustangs are about an inch per side narrower, but the nine-inch rears are very rare.

'57-59 passenger cars have a nine-inch housing the same width as the early Mustang, but require early (pre-'67) brakes due to the spacing between the housing flange and the axle flange.

I think the big (71-73) Mustangs have a little wider housing, but they had leaf springs, and might work ok.

These are by no means the only ones that will work, but might give you a starting point.

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The 1971-73 Mustang is a 9 in. rear and is the exact same size WMS to WMS at the stock Merc rear which is 61 1/4 in WMS to WMS. Bolt pattern is 5 x 4 1/2. I put one in my Merc. so I know it to be true. Go to this site and read all the good info and then click on the sites listed at the end of the article. You will be amazed.
    http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

10. hottweelz

hottweelz
    from So. Cal

Hey guys. We will have a 5 on 5 1/2" bolt pattern disc brake kit for the Granada spindles very soon. This will work on our ball joint conversion. We will also have the following:

1) 5 on 5 1/2" disc brake kit for the Mustang II spindles
    2) GM 6 lug (truck pattern) disc brake kit for the Mustang II spindles

As soon as we complete these kits, I will post a few pics. Right now we are in the final mock up stages and should be able to go into production very soon.

11. Garage Concepts

Garage Concepts

Thanks for your call,I'll call you tomorrow...

12. I ordered the ball joint conversion for my 50 Merc with the 5 X 4 1/2 bolt pattern. I guess their last shipment was made incorrectly, so Jim stated it would a few more weeks before they a new batch shipped.

I decided to go with the bolt pattern change because I am rebuilding the rear end and changing the wheels anyway so there really is no drama associated. The car has a Dana 44 rear that I will convert to 5 X 4 1/2 when I add disc brakes (cutting tube ends and welding 9" ends to make this happen.)

The machine work on the flathead with 4-71 blower is done and should be well within the power contraints of the rebuit Dana 44 when I am done. I guess I could change to a ford 9" rear end altogether, but I am trying to use as much of the "old" car as possible.

Anybody have any input...thick skin is a family trait, so if anyone has any thoughts, I am always open to suggestions.

13. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

So...9 inch ends for disk brakes. Bearing juggling to use ford axles ? Will the 28 or 31 spline axle mate to the Dana side gears ? You might be right about just going all 9 inch ford, it might be easier in the long run. I have a 78 lincoln versailles under my panel. Those came with 4 1/2 bolt pattern and disks.

14. I think this is one of those projects that I will probably start and just get way smarter during the process (and maybe even abandon). Seems like some of my best learning experiences are trying something knowing it is going to be an ass pain and just working my way through them. Not always the cheapest solutions, but usually the most rewarding.

15. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Sure...Or, keep track of what you do and post it, we may all learn.
    Good luck with it.