Register now to get rid of these ads!

Look what I built for $2.35

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poofus1929, Nov 8, 2009.

1. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

This was my Saturday project. I have seen a few posts on here about Vise stands so I decided to build one. Here is a breakdown of the costs.

Wilton 5 inch vise- Free Score
    Steel Wheel- Free, found on side of road
    1 1/2 inch square tubing- Scrap bin
    Other steel- Scrap bin
    10x10 1/8 inch plate- $2.35

Attached Files:

2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

pretty sweet but it seems like you'd want it mounted on more or a substantial base if you're going to use it for anything. looks like it would tip over if you were working on a piece of steel a couple feet long.
    maybe not.
    i have a similar setup that i made, but it's for a bench grinder.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a twin to that vise that I need to build a stand for but I was going to bum a junk truck rim from the tire store for mine. I'm another one that likes my vise and bench grinder out away from the work bench.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

4. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Um, my vise is bolted to my 4 X 10 foot long heavy steel bench and sometimes my whole bench moves when I use the vise! Unless you're going to bolt the rim to the floor I would render it almost useless. Also, one accidental bump would knock that over.(probably into something freshly painted or tender toes)

5. Ruiner

Ruiner

I made a 2" receiver post for mine to go onto my fab table when I need it and store it under the table for when I don't need it...

6. Suggestion for next time:
    Get a used brake drum from an 18-wheeler.
    They weigh a ton and don't go anywhere.

7. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I agree - mine is bolted to 1/2 thick plate steel 4x8 bench, and sometimes the whole thing moves when I'm using the vise.

8. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

I welded a couple of heavy old brake rotors inside the rim to help counter balance it. It definitely made it more stable. I'm just basicly gonna use it to hold smaller things while I weld. I put in a long 36 wishbone and it held it fine I even bumped it to see if it would tip and it didn't budge.

9. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

See, It doesn't tip over.

Attached Files:

10. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

Mine is made from a 5 foot long 4 inch pipe set 2 feet in the ground with rebar bored thru it at different angles,it ended up at waist height,then I poured concrete a foot around it,let it sit, then poured the shop floor 5 inches over that.Then I slipped over it another pipe with a diameter of roughly 4 1/8 (like a sleeve),then welded a 3/4 nut 'n bolt to act as a lock so I can turn it as needed and then lock it down, on top of that a big vise.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  11. Ruiner

Ruiner

Dude, when you need to break a bolt loose using your vise, or hammer on something, that post setup is going to be absolutely useless...if it's just for holding things while you weld, it kinda makes it useless too, since it's a one trick pony...I like much of my equipment to be multi-use, otherwise it just wastes shop space until I need it for that one thing that it does...

12. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

nice concept,that's been around for a century. wait till you get a 500 dollar part in that thing and it falls over...YIKES!!

13. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Until you touch it....

14. El Gordo

El Gordo

Dad made this back in the '50's - The advantage of the truck rim is you can stand on it when you don't want it to move when hack-sawing. Accidentally tipping over is NOT going to happen, Just tipping it over enough to roll it to a different location takes a bigger man than I was until I turned 20:D
    [​IMG]

15. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

This is just a temporary fix until I get a sturdy steel bench. All I have right now is a crappy wood table on rollers.

16. Fenders

Fenders

And your time in assembling welding etc is worth.... ?

17. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

I have more time than money so it doesn't bother me.:)

18. hotrodfrank

hotrodfrank
    from dearing,ga

19. kopperkart

kopperkart
    from Wisconsin

When you get a bench built you can always re-purpose it as a bench grinder mount. I need a steel work bench on wheels to mount a vice on.

20. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I think it's nice but can't do anything heavy with it . BUT it's better than NOTHING ! That's his point !
    My vice is about 50+ lbs and is on my heavy metal work bench too . The difference is my bench is also bolted to the upright beams of the garage wall and they aren't going anyplace !

RetroJim

21. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Great ad-"vise". :rolleyes:

I gotta get my big vise mounted and that sounds like a great idea.

22. Weld 3 tabs of 2" x 3/8" x 2" flat bar at 3 equall spaces around the bottom of the rim and attach it to the garage floor with three 1/2" expanding lead anchors.-then you will have something functional.

23. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Cool Idea, thinking about doing something similiar for my bench grinder though.

24. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With all the money you saved, you can buy some steel-toed boots. :D

25. BenW455

BenW455

Good job! Looks good.

26. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I found an old piece of I-beam in a salvage yard...had flat pieces welded to the ends and it works like a dream. It's so heavy that it takes alot to move it and it's very stable.

27. moses

moses

id put it on a piece of plywood mix up a bag of concrete fill rim let set a couple days remove fron plywood and wambo ready to go sturty and wont tip over....jeffrey just my 2 cents ...

28. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

mount a junk tire on it.
    drill some holes in the tire.
    fill with cement.
    The tire keeps you from scratching up the floor and from sliding around to easy.
    mine is this way and works great. No vise , but I use c-clamps on a top plate.

29. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

There's nothing wrong with what you built. Just like every other tool in the world, it has its limitations and if you understand them you will not get into trouble.

I can't have enough vices -- excuse me -- vises.

I have several mounted to workbenches and here is a portable - because - sometimes it makes sense to work on something away from the workbench. It is an aluminum server stand from someone's computer room. It was headed to the dumpster. It is heavy construction yet fairly light and with a wide footprint is fairly stable. I have it set up for the vise in this picture. I also remove the vise and use the stand for things like a wire wheel/buffer (c-clamp the whole thing to the flat top of the server stand).

DSC02430.jpg DSC02431.jpg

30. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

put a bag of sand around the base that'll help a little