Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shop Tools, I scored a few new tools today, What do you have in your shop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconwagon62, Nov 7, 2009.

1. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

Ok guys, I am as serious of a car guy as you can get, I have a 8 car unattached shop, with 2 4 post lifts, and every tool known to man, and I just scored these goodies today;

[​IMG]

A Ammco Brake lathe, Drum or Disc and a new Parts Washer and a HUGE 2 stage compressor (will replace my single 60 gal unit)

What cool stuff do you have in your shop that we would find in our old local auto repair shop...looking for idea's of what I need next!!!!

Enjoy the day, it's great in Cincinnati 68 degrees!! and Sunny:)

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks like the deal of the day and it can well pay for it's self by turning drums for others.

In my local area I think if a guy had that brake lathe and the setup to do heads and replace guides in heads plus a hot tank and bead blast cabinet he could stay busier than he wanted to be.

When the local guys find out that you have it and that's not just rodders they well be showing up on your doorstep with drums and rotors in one hand and cash in the other. A nice way to make hotrod money and pay for the machine.

So far I don't have any cool shop equipment but I have been on the hunt for a good valve grinding setup for a long time.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Besides the lathes and Bridgeports and welding stuff and the brake equip. I have a full set of Sioux valve equip and a Van Norman 944S engine boring bar. the boring bar don't see much use as it's so cheap to have it done, but the valve stuff gets fairly regular use.

4. I have an old framing hammer...fixes most anything...getting ready to pick up an english wheel and just got a soda blaster (very handy) and would love to get a lift

5. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey FALCON62... O yea i would say NICE score what do i have in my shop? a VERY BIG hammer, and VERY SMALL screw driver! NA i got nothing! call me POP...or the old FART!

6. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

That brake lathe was about 5K new. I don't have one anymore, and took some drums to O'reilly's and they hung it into my bunghole.

7. The man who dies with the most toys wins.

8. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

This is true!:D

9. A Rodder

A Rodder

Not that they are expensive but they sure are handy, how many of you have the old school vertical style bearing packer that floods the bearing with grease in a lever action, I like mine.

10. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

That bearing packer was one of the first koool tools I bought, I also got a super old Atwood V Belt measuring tool...at a swap meet for a buck, one US Dollar! about 35 years ago....Looking for a old power bleeder now....

11. ">Well Today i just scored this little beautie. Its a South bend 9x36 lathe. I'm not sure how old she is but she has some awesome history. Apparently it its owner worked at the ship yard piers in the San Fransisco bay for the military and that's where this lathe came from.Not only did i get this awsome lathe but i got tons of tooling with it. YOu will never guess how much all this stuff cost.........A whopping $260 bucks with everything. A true score.

[​IMG]

12. ">Heres some of the tools i got with the lathe. This is my second lathe that i now own. You can never have too many tools.[​IMG]

13. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

you scored big time that old lathe is kickin shweeeet and all the tooling to boot

14. BenW455

BenW455

15. What I find interesting is there are several threads concerning shop theft, and how to keep thievin' thieves out of said shop - then we have pics of what all is in people's shops.

Strange.

16. you now need a distributor machine

[​IMG]

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'm fortunate to have a nicely equipped shop. I made my living out of it for quite a few years and it's nice be able to go out there now and take on some pretty big jobs. Here is a partial list:

1. Tig welder
    2. two wire feed welders
    3. two oxy/ac outfits
    4. three drill presses
    5. two lathes
    6. Bridgeport Mill
    7. horizontal mill
    8. surface grinder
    9. horizontal cut off saw
    10. Vertical roll-in saw
    11. Mag drill
    12. two air compressors (one single phase,one 3 phase)
    13. Wood table saw
    14. Wood band saw
    15. Inground hoist
    16. 4' power sheet metal shear
    17. 4' chicago sheet metal brake
    18. 4' Pro Former finger brake
    19. 6 4"-24" shot bags
    20. two planishing hammers
    21. two english wheels
    22. two belt sanders
    23. 4 double decker roller tool boxes filed with a few
    thousand dollars worth of hand tools
    24. dozens of electric and air tools
    25. electric/hydraulic tubing bender

Enough for now, like I said I'm a fortunate individual but I worked for everything I have. No drinking or smoking made it a little easier.

Frank

18. A Rodder

A Rodder

In reference to the theft issue, hopefully all those thieves aren't trolling the hamb. I have been fortunate that in the 2 1/2 years I have had the sign on I have not had any issues, I am on main st in town, leave half my shop lights on and all my perimeter soffet lights are on at night, knock on wood, Joe

19. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Wow really nice score on the lathe.

20. Im not too worried about my shop being broke into because the sherrifs department is next to me and i have a real nice security system.

21. budrow

budrow

I bought a lift and it was real handy. Then I got the a hot rod and it lives there on the lift. The lift's not as handy as it was. I know I should"t complain. I should spend more time worken on the car,I gess.

22. swi66

swi66

When we bought our house, there was already an in ground single post lift in the unattached 4 car garage. Kind of swayed us to buy the place.
    Over a year ago, the company I work for bought a closed down Dodge dealership for expansion. They are not in the auto repair business. For some reason most of the equipment was left behind and I was able to purchase a good deal of it.
    Rim clamp tire machine, spin balancer, strut compressor, and all the MOPAR sService tools that were left behind.
    I was able to sell all the items I didn't need or want so basically I got what I wanted for free!

23. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

Sure anytime you want to come to my shop and be thievin' COME on down, I have all kind of other goodies as well. most hold between 14 and 50 rounds....if you know what I mean....

24. mrpowderkeg

mrpowderkeg

I bought this thing for $100, and now I have $150 into it, new bearings in the table, some air hose a cleaning/painting
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  25. RacerRick

RacerRick

In my shop (sorry, but i don't have any pics) - between me and my buddy, we have a car lift, drill press, MIG welder, 48" sheet metal shear, and some other stuff I am forgetting in my little area, and the main shop has two more lifts, engine hoists, bigger MIG welder, Oxy/Ace, 60" sheetmetal shear, 30" brake, vertical mill, bead blaster, sand blaster, tubing bender, old anvil, hydralic press, 4 corner weight scales, and more I am forgetting.

We have great security. The owner of the property lives right next door, everything is alarmed, motioned lighted, Video'd, and locked up. The police like to sit under the lights to do their paperwork in piece, and the ornery old guy in front of the shop likes to take warning shots at thieves.

Thieves only have to have a few rifle rounds go whistling overhead and they tell everyone to stay clear!

26. deanopopino

deanopopino
    from Troy, MO

Nope ... he's still dead and the survivors split up the toys! :D

27. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Just finsihed building a Rottissere for the '62 Merc Wagon project.

[​IMG]

28. inlinr6

inlinr6

nice inline, are you a International inliner?

29. Ditto. I have tools to detect them and tools to deter them. OK...I admit it....deter is a euphemism.

30. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Here's what I picked up today. Two Van Norman boring bars. Ones in pretty good shape, the other will be good for spare parts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]