Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fireball 500

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zumo, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Zumo

Zumo

Not sure if you guys are Hulu.com savvy but they are a huge video site. One of the many things they do is play full length motion pictures. If you can stand a short commercial or two. It's Free, just sign up. I have been watching the Spaghetti Westerns with Clint Eastwood myself.

I logged on today and noticed the title Fireball 500. Its about stock car racing and moonshine running. The dialog might be chessy but it's got some cool footage in it.
    [​IMG]

Link to movie:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/80534/fireball-500

That is all, carry on.

2. Zumo

Zumo

Cornet?

Attached Files:

3. i believe it was a '66 Barracuda

4. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

5. Zumo

Zumo

Yeah just realized. haha.

6. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Only streams in the US of A!!!! sigh...

I didn't want to see it anyway.....sniff...
    I'm going home and watch reruns of "The Beachcombers" now...

:D:D:D

7. I'm fairly sure that car is still in Portland. it's a better car than the photo's show

8. I saw it up here several years ago at a tire store getting some work done on it. I had to stop and check it out. Would be fun to drive around.

9. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Try going through a USA based web proxy service.

10. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

The Fireball 500 was up for sale about a 1 1/2 years ago. I think it was in Oregon or Washington... I dont think it sold.. what a Neat looking car though..

Big change from a 66 Barracuda..

11. Chuck Carman

Chuck Carman

That's a '65 or '66 Barracuda built by Barris.

12. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Another movie very close to the same time and same theme was "Thunder Alley" which used a lot of the same cars and stars in it. Again, corny, but cool footage.

13. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Yep.. a Charger.. aka,Thundercharger also done by Mr Barris.. MPC made a kit of that.. I didnt really like the extended front fenders and rear quarters though.. ..

14. Here's the Thundercharger

Attached Files:

15. Verminator

Verminator

the Fireball 500 car was at the "Wheels & Spokes" museum right off Route 70 in Hays, Kansas a bunch of years ago. I think the owner's name was Jerry Junneman? Lots of wild stuff there. Last time through the whole area by that exit was giant shopping centers. Wondered what happened to him and all the kool cars. Fireball car was much better than it looked in pictures too.

16. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

that barracuda had a funny story about being found in the woods of NJ ,behind a dodge dealer , in the eighties ........

17. 30 Buford

30 Buford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Killer link Zumo, the Demo Derby at the begining nearly brought tears to my eyes seeing all of that vintage iron being torn up.Thanks

18. thanks for the hook up...loved the car and movie!...anyone notice the Petty 43 car?

19. dartracer

dartracer

Jerry forgot to pay his taxes for a long time. Cars were sold off to pay them.

20. In Thunder Alley there is a car that jumps a ramp,when it lands it is not the same car.Great attention to detail.:rolleyes:

21. Zumo

Zumo

The movie is actually pretty good. Maybe because I am a car guy.

22. Yeah.I do like the both of them. "Can I borrow your "skid lid?"

23. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Yeah, there was always a collection of goofs in the old car flicks. In Redline 7000, (which had good early 60's nascar footage) A Ford went spinning into the turn, when it drifted to the infield, it was a Pontiac in the same color and the same number. Another car shot over the guardrail and came down on the other side as a different make and 4 years older. In Fireball 500, shine drivers were forced off the road at night by a large mirror placed in the road as they rounded a corner. The 57 Chevy reflected a dual headlight image. Hmmmmmm.

The derby at the beginning of Fireball 500 trashed some cool vintage tin, but most of them were just over 10 years old at the time. Still makes me cringe when I see it now.

24. they never heard of continiuty directors back then ,and budgets were really low........

25. Zumo

Zumo

I never noticed they raced cars with no roofs either. Were these convertibles? What is a class?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  26. Zumo

Zumo

27. Early on (54,55,56),when they were running on the beaches, NASCAR had 'verts racing.

Cheers,PJ

[​IMG]

28. Here's a publicity pic of the Fireball 500 'Cuda
    BTW: The car was called the "SSXR"
    [​IMG]

This is how it looked on Ebay a couple of years ago:
    Cheers,PJ[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  29. jimmyv

jimmyv

This movie is on TV right now. It just started. It's on "this" TV on my cable network. Showing the Fireball 500 car right now. Had some good footage of a demolition derby at first with some great looking 40's and 50's cars getting smashed......kinda made me want to cry.

30. Watching it on Netflix. It is amazing how much the Southeast looks like the hills of Southern California.