Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 70's HOT RODS @ Capwells in Fremont.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ratfink, Nov 5, 2009.

1. C.R.Glow Neon

C.R.Glow Neon
    from stockton

great pictures, i remember seeing this cars at the rod runs in n'cal in the late '70s early '80s. RD

2. scan0015.jpg scan0018.jpg

Yes ... these two pics ^^ ^ ^^ were taken @ the Solano County Fairgrounds ... most likely at Andy's Picnic (1978 or later).

The chopped '57 Buick was the unfinished version of Richard Zocchi's "57 Fever":

Zocchi's 57 FEVER.jpg Zocchi's 57 FEVER side profile.jpg Zocchi's 57 FEVER 3-4 rear.jpg

EDIT: Whoops, RodP beat me to it! :)

The '40 Mercury is the famous "Buddy Ohanesian Merc" built by Dick Bertolucci (& Harry Westergard) ... it was purchased by Ed Hegarty in 1975 ... Ed still owns it:

ohanesian-1940-mercury-custom-car-1.jpg ohanesian-1940-mercury-custom-car-2.jpg ohanesian-1940-mercury-custom-car-3.jpg
    ohanesian-1940-mercury-custom-car-4.jpg ohanesian-1940-mercury-custom-car-5.jpg ohanesian-1940-mercury-custom-car-6.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  3. Wire wheels sure were the ticket back then.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

somebody get me a pic of that F-1 with the gull wing doors. I thought that truck was so cool. every time I saw it at a show it had another major modification done.

I'm thinking it had an Olds in the bed with Toronado FWD... though it could have been something else.

5. Chuck R

Chuck R

6. derelict

derelict

Roger's a HAMBr? Hey, Roger...

7. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

those are some truly amazing pictures. keep em coming if you have any more..

8. yep!

... and next to it is Ed Feraldo's '29 RPU with a very stout supercharged SBC.

9. Nah, not really ... you probably noticed by Roger's profile that he has zero (0) posts ... I'm pretty sure he helped out a bit with the construction of the Bomb Factory Dragster ... and @SamIyam talked him into joining the H.A.M.B. (to follow all the BFD threads) ... I don't think Roger even lurks here anymore ... I'll have to ask him next time I see him.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  10. C.R.Glow Neon

C.R.Glow Neon
    from stockton

meet roger garcia at kernville 1976,i kinda remember, i think it was at the elks lodge, i think i was like 19 going on 20? all i know is i had a big hangover the next day. RD

11. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

And one day back in 79-80 when I was in 12th grade, driving out of the Kennedy High School parking lot, I saw this very car driving westbound on Cutting boulevard (Richmond, CA) (east bay area). I just about passed out. Swear to God.

12. Yep ... Ed owned/owns Deal Auto Wrecking in Richmond (on West Gertrude Ave. ... northwest of Cutting Blvd.).

13. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

I didn't know that! I remember that place. A school buddy of mine--his uncle owned A&D Auto Wrecking down on Parr Bl. in west Richmond. That place was better than Disneyland. We could disappear in that vast place on a Saturday and it was full of '50s and '60s cars. We'd open hoods to see what engines lurked within, check what differentials were underneath, trim pieces, etc. All gone now.

14. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

that car is sooo nice

15. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

love these 70's pics..those were the days..tru spokes on everything HA HA HA

16. pinman 39

pinman 39

Nice to see all the Street Rod pictures I used to really enjoy those type of events .
    Cool to see pics of cars parked without E=Z ups Motorhomes and Car Trailers in the
    background .That is "Traditional " to me .

17. R33CHEBY

R33CHEBY

I'm new to the H.A.M.B. forum. My grandfather-in-law, Paul Tucker (RIP) was part of the Nor Cal Early Iron C.C. I met some of you guys at his funeral. He had the green 1933 Chevy sedan. I inherited his 1933 Chevy p/u truck last year from Pauls son Terry. I have been building it this past year, and hope to have it done for some late season shows, or by next spring. If anybody has pics of Paul, or his rods from back in the day, please send them to me. The picture is of the truck the day I borught it home (notice the tape on the cab, future marking for the 5"chop) That is my son, Tucker, in the cab. Thanks.

Attached Files:

18. R33CHEBY ... I knew Paul (& Jan) well ... and have a bunch of photos of their orange T RPU ... as well as their two-tone green '32 Chevy Vicky ... unfortunately, most of these pics are color slides that I have yet to digitize (so please be patient) ... until then, here's a couple photos to "hold you over":

Santa Maria (August 1, 1976).jpg

Merced '79 (NSRA Western Street Rod Nationals) Event Program - pg 34.jpg

Also ... Did you notice that Paul appears in two of the pics in the "Streetster with Spirit" article I posted (post #7)?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  19. i have some pics from andys in valejo
    i will post in a little while have to figure the scaner out
    i was a 10 or so when i met steve archer he built didies fir andy
    i saw the first tub it was red

20. R33CHEBY

R33CHEBY

HEMI32: You are correct, it was a '32, I have his 33 truck(same body style). I was glad to have met Paul before he had passed. Unfortunatly I wasn't able to talk hot rods with him before he left. I didn't even know Terry had the '33 in his garage, because it was covered up with so much stuff. Jan, and Terry have a lot of pictures of the club cars, but not too many of there own. Terry is coming up this weekend to inspect the progress on the '33. It would be neet if I could get some more pics to print out for him. Anybody have pics of Terrys '34? Ford. I think it was yellow, He said he had to sell it when he had his frist daughter Julie (my wife). Thanks again, this fourm is great.

21. MARTINSR

MARTINSR

First post here guys, digging up an old thread while searching for Nor Cal Early Iron cars. HOLY CRAP this brings back memories! I was a kid of 16-18 something like that when I was driving my chopped top 1948 Chevy pickup to my first shows with these guys. I was sort of a "Prospect" member attending meetings and going to some "runs" with them. This Model A highboy was my God Mothers son Jim Gomes and I watched it be built at his home then at his shop where he hired me for my very first job.
    [​IMG]

Oh my God these photos bring back memories I remember a lot of those cars. I have some photos I will post too.

Thanks for posting these they really lit my fire.

Brian

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  22. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

A and D auto wrecking was Dick Karns and his son Rick i built two complete motors for them in the 80s to run late models at Petaluma speedway. we always had good times there.

23. MARTINSR

MARTINSR

It is without a doubt one of the most beautiful ever. I remember it back then too, loved it the minute I saw it.

Brian

24. M.Edell

M.Edell

Brian Martin! Hey its Marcus...Didnt know you were on here..

25. MARTINSR

MARTINSR

Marcus! How you doing! Yeah, as I said in my post it was my first here. I was searching for some photos of Nor-Cal Early Iron cars and came across this thread. I grew up down the street (we are talking five hundred feet from my house) from Jim Gomes with that blown hemi powered A highboy.

Brian

26. M.Edell

M.Edell

Oh yeah right , I knew that, Russ told me that before.Back when Fremont was cool still...lol..Crap now I sound like your brother...hahaha...

27. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

This post really brings back a lot of memories, looking at my 32 sedan makes me mad as hell that I sold it, feel the same way about my red with black fenders 33 pheaton in that one shot. Nor Cal Early Iron was an awesome club we had 58 members, 25 of us worked and the rest let us but that was ok we had one hell of a good time, glow neon ...a lot of the NCEI guys drove to that Kernville run with Roger and had a blast there, I think the beer industry took a big hit as we got older and couldn't handle the hang overs any more Thanks for the post and all the GOOD memories guys.....................:D R33 Terry's 37 sedan was dark cooper colored it may have started yellow but was cooper when he went with us on runs it is also so in the pictures posted .

28. R33CHEBY

R33CHEBY

I didn't know he had a '37 sedan. He showed me pics of a yellow '34 Ford coupe. Anybody got pics of his '57 chevy that he had after the ford?

29. R33CHEBY

R33CHEBY

30. MARTINSR

MARTINSR