Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 70's HOT RODS @ Capwells in Fremont.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ratfink, Nov 5, 2009.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

here's some pics from about the same time as the Andys Picnic pics post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

have I posted these already?

3. 49ratfink ... I've never seen 'em before.

I've got literally hundreds of color photos & slides from those Nor Cal Early Iron car shows that we held at the Fremont Hub shopping center, the Southland Mall (in Hayward), and at the Fremont Fashion Plaza (Capwell's shopping center) ... but never dared to post them here on the HAMB since they were circa 1970's :eek:

I don't remember the name of the owner of this roadster:

scan0020.jpg

... but I can identify all the rest ...

scan0021.jpg
    Tommy Walsh's (Orange) '29 hiboy
    Gary Meadors' (Dinuba Yellow) '32 Tudor
    Bill Burnham's (Ol' Blue) '29 hiboy

scan0022.jpg
    Paul Tucker's '32 Chevy Vicky
    the nose of the "Giveaway T Speedster" (the club built this car & sold raffle tix to raise $$$ for Guide Dogs for the Blind)

scan0023.jpg
    Meadors' Deuce again ... and yes, this is the GOODGUY'S logo car when it was full-fendered

scan0024.jpg
    Our '32 5wd (not sure what was up with the different shades of paint?)
    Sonny Hallsworth's C-Cab Delivery
    Ed Feraldo's '29 RPU

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  4. Chuck R

Chuck R

I worked at the Safeway which is in the background of the shot of Bill , Gary and Tommy's hot rods. I was about 16 years old in 71 and remember those car shows. They were a lot of fun. It seems like they had them through the last half of the 70's. A lot of very cool cars always showed up. and these pictures really bring back a lot of memories. These cars are still on the road and should have the respect they deserve. I have said it before, your dad's 32 was what got me interested in hot rods. I would see your dad coming down Eggers and would just about go nuts. That ,my friends, is a hot rod, these all where hot rods, and dare I say some of the best ever built.
    Thanks for the post
    chuck

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009

5. Chuck (@copshopcoupe / @Chuck R) ... that reminds me, I think I'm behind on my payments to you ;) ... all joking aside, thanks for the very kind words ... they mean a lot coming from the guy that just happens to own one of my favorite '34 coupes!

CopShopCoupe.jpg

6. BTW ... This "Capwells Car Show" was held on July 2, 1977 in conjunction with our club's 2nd Annual "Independence Run"

Here's the dash plaque from the event:

NCEI 2nd Annual Independence Run Dash Plaque.jpg

... and a clipping from the local newspaper*:

The ARGUS - July 3, 1977 - pg 8.jpg

* NOTE: In typical (poor journalistic) fashion, the local rag couldn't even get the caption correct ... it wasn't held at the Fremont Hub [it was at the Fremont Fashion Plaza (i.e., the Capwells shopping center)] ... and our club was named Nor Cal Early Iron [not the Northern California Hot Rod Association].

7. As I mentioned in post #3, our club built a giveaway car for charity ... here's an article about the "Spirit of '76 Streetster" that appeared in the April 1978 issue of STREET RODDER:

STREET RODDER April 1978 pg58.jpg
    STREET RODDER April 1978 pg59.jpg

8. M.Edell

M.Edell

Oh man!! That brings back memories! I lived a block away on Paseo and Country Dr.I think I had every Birthday Party at Farrells Ice Cream inside that strip Mall...Cool Pics...Thanks.. I was 4 going on 5.. July 1977! lol..

9. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

The hemi powered 5-window is really bitchin'!

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

more old pics from Capwells....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. blacufo

blacufo

12. M.Edell

M.Edell

Those Lamps in the parking Lot of Capwells used to buzz real loud at night and use to creep my out when I was a kid..Funny how you remember stuff like that.

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

hmmm.. looks like some of those are from Central Park down the street from Capwells.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. M.Edell

M.Edell

Yep those are definitely Lake Elizabeth, you can see the little Restroom Huts in the background..

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

these little groups of 20 shots or so are why I take so many pictures at shows today. why didn't I take a picture of every car there? who knows.. probably had no money for film and developing.

16. M.Edell

M.Edell

lol.. My Dad managed the Payless Drug Store from 1969-1977 and they had a great Photo Department in those days, so we got all our film developed for free, not to mention all the 8MM Movies..
    I remember going to a couple of Hot Rod car shows in the HUB Parking Lot a couple of times in the 70's as well as a Huey Chopper being on display in the parking lot in front of Longs and Safeway.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

here's some random pics that were on these negatives. the chopped Buick at Lodi or Merced?? anyone recognise the fairgrounds? I believe it was painted candy apple red later.

[​IMG]

not sure where the merc was?? probably the same show with the Buick. When did Andys move to the Solano County Faigrounds? look in the background.. anyone remember the F-1 with the gull wing doors? that thing was crazy. chopped, shortened, gull winged and who remembers what else

[​IMG]

... and last is my 49 Chevy parked next to my brothers Willys pickup, which we both still have. some sort of genetic disorder where you buy your first car and never sell it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

19. sinticket

sinticket

Wow that is some cool pics... and to think all those 32s etc are all steel.. mmmm heartwarming...

20. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

Damn....... No pics of my uncle Len's 29? I think he painted half those cars.

21. Brodie Smith

Brodie Smith

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/chopt49/HMB ANDYSPICNIC/scan0022.jpg

The green 32 Chevy above was owned by Paul Tucker and he lived next door to my great great grandparents and took him to their 50th wedding anniversary in it. It's now owned by a friend of the family's named Dave Ayala and looks exactly the same as it did then.

That shopping center never did fill up with stores either.

22. M.Edell

M.Edell

23. cool pics! any shots of the 40 chevy in this pic? looks like its running slicks?
    [​IMG]

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I don't think I have any more shots from these events. as for slicks... this is the late 70's. could be big ol' L-50-15 bias plys. white letter "Kelly Superchargers" were the hot ticket.

25. Yep ... the festivities moved to Lake Elizabeth on Sunday July 3, 1977 for an old-fashioned Independence Day (weekend) BBQ ... with all kinds family games, a volleyball tournament, paddle boats, etc.

26. I won't bore you by identifying the owners of all the cars pictured in 49ratfink's second set of photos ... but will mention that three of the cars were owned & built by HAMBers:

scan0005.jpg
    @Roger Garcia's '38 Chevy

scan0010.jpg
    @plywude 's orange (actually poppy red :D) chopped Deuce Tudor
    @fremont32's black Deuce Roadster (he still owns it! ... it's red now ... recent pics HERE)

scan0007.jpg
    @plywude's '32 Tudor again

27. @1badnov ...

Your Uncle Len did paint many of the Nor Cal Early Iron member's cars ... including our coupe!

Didja you read the "Streetster with Spirit" article I posted (post #7)? ... It mentions that the "ice box white" Speedster was painted by your uncle ... and his "JUS BAD" Anglia is in the background of the first pic in the article:

Lenny's JUS BAD Anglia in the background.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  28. flat34pu

flat34pu

:Dlot's of hot rods running tru-spokes in the '70s

29. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

That is crazy...... Thanks so much for the pic.

30. RodP

RodP