Register now to get rid of these ads!

things have changed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onlychevrolets, Nov 4, 2009.

1. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

You know I think sports in general have gotten lack luster for me. Any more it is like they're not the iron giants I rember as a kid. Baseball and football cards meant something. Now they're not worth the paper they were printed on to me. Though I never understood why a card would be worth so much.

2. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Word.

3. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

Nads, I feel the same way.

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I graduated from high school in 1968. At that time, the guys had to have your shirt tucked in and hair could not go over the ear. You had to also be clean shaven. We were allowed to wear shorts one day a year...it was called Bermuda Day.
    Shortly after I got out of high school, long hair was OK, shirts didn't need to be tucked in and you could grow a beard.
    The men teachers usually wore a suit, or at least a shirt and tie.
    Today it looks like a big gathering of winos, hippies and bums. The teachers almost look as bad as the students.

Teachers, the police and your parents ALWAYS got the last word.
    My generation grew up just fine and I believe that much of our generations success was based on the fact that we knew we weren't in charge and that we didn't know everything. Respect begets respect. Still does.

5. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I rember pumping gas at 27 cents a gal. But I was getting payed only 75 cents an houre to do it.

6. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I miss the times when most folk had MANNERS and did not make a lifestyle out of giving grief to someone else they needed to feel morally superior to.

I miss the satisfaction folks took out of doing a good job.

I miss Howdy Doody and the road runner cartoons.

I miss the HAMMS beer commercials with the Mamms bear. They were funny.

I miss watching the folks and the neighbors playing Pinochole or Canasta on the kitchen table on Saturday night and TALKING about current events or the price of bread.

Glenn

7. Kerry67

Kerry67

Nascar cars looked like actual cars you could buy, not some fiberglass shell.

8. badger

badger

Remember when the "heavy metal" era meant your beer came in a can that wasn't aluminum?

9. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I remember rusty beer cans floating in a cooler....

10. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Riding in cars as a kid not buckled in.
    Steering Mom's '65 Fury from the right, while she drove.
    Playing with chrome ashtray lids and chrome seatbelt buckles, making them clack.

11. Around Alabama, it was peanuts in Coke.Pepsi? eww..

12. Dirk35

Dirk35

Anyone else remember party lines, and picking up the phone an hearing someone else talk even though you didnt spin the dial, so you'd have to wait till they were done with their conservation to make your call.

I also remember the National Anthem coming on at midnight and then the TV going totally off after that. One of the channels had the indian head logo while the other two had the color test pattern until one am and then blank screen.

Drive in Movies.

And Im only 36!

13. bubble balancing tires, chrome all over the dam'n car you could actually polish and cold vinyl seats

waysides, gravel roads (sprayed with oil & ??? to keep the dust down) and highways that actually went through towns rather than around them

record players, black and white t.v., rabbit ears, "boxing" and actual "news"

mothers that raised children, neighbors that knew each other and weren't afraid to swat you on the ass and then proceed to call your parents which resulted in further punishment when you got home

pull tabs on cans, diving boards at the pool and tuffskins

less lawyers, less regulation and less dam'n people

World Population in 1969 was 3.6 Billion
    World Population in 2009 is 6.8 Billion

fwiw... I was born in 1970 :)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009

14. i remember the hi-fi drive in and the hi-way 101 going thrugh town

15. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

In 30 years these will be the good old days. HAMB FNGs will have join dates of 2039 and we'll all look like really cool old guys with our 2000s join dates. There, feel better? :D

16. Being able to drive your car downtown(Wichita) and leave the keys in it and it would still be there.
    Pop machines with levers and .10 pop and .02 back for the bottle.
    playing army in the front yard with your buddys. Some one was the Germans and everyone else was the good guys.
    2.00 car models

17. geting off the couch to change the channel for your older brother:)

18. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Or else he would jump up, tackle you, and sit on your head and fart. :D

19. Paul Y

Paul Y

Hold on a minute....Just hold on.... YOU TAKE PHOTOS OF MODELS IN THEIR UNDERWEAR AND NO ONE HAS ASKED FOR PICTURES??????

Now that is a sign of how times have changed......

P.:D

20. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

I remember the good old days when you could order a car the way you wanted it. Not like today...... the dealers act as if they are doing you a favor by selling you a car, on top of that, they tell you what you can have.... forget about what you want.

21. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Isn't that typical of most buiness today?
    Also lacking or missing is service with a smile , respect and manors

22. twotoejoe

twotoejoe

The dealers don't really have anything to do with that, it's the manufacturers.

23. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

One of my favorites as far as customer service goes is.... I had to call one of those customer service lines for my mother one day. She tried her best to get thru but she had no luck so she asked if I would do it. No problem right.? Well after playing the push button rig a ma roo on the phone and finally speaking to a human the guy barely spoke english clear enough to be understood. After a few minutes of "excuse me" and "one more time" I told the guy forget it I would like to talk to his manager. So the guy says to me "sorry sir but I'm having a hard time understanding you." Like that was the problem. So I in turn said to him,"now please I'm having a hard time understanding you could you please let me speak to your manager?" So after waiting on line and listening the beautiful elevator music another fella answered. You guessed I could hardly understand him....

24. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Sitting in the "wayback", the 3rd row rear facing seat of our 9-pass '58 Plymouth wagon.

25. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

Oh............you mean an actual "Service Station".........I grew up in the end of that era. It is a shame the service station is pretty much dead since the latter 70's.

Who would have known you would go to a gas station for your bread and milk.......

26. budd

budd

if all the serivce stations in the US and Canada had to have trained staff to pump your gas, how many people would have a job today?

27. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

It's sort of funny but the "service station" that we had growing up was more like a grocery store than these crappy convience stores of today. I rember going to get bread and milk from there. And my mom and grandma would go to "town" to get the rest of what we needed once a month or less. Man have times changed. How about having to carry wood for the woodstove? Or how about remotes with a chord? Or microwaves big enough to cook trurkeys in and give you radiation poison?

28. This morning, in my rear view mirror :eek:

29. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

Remember when sock's went on your feet.

Sorry I just had to throw that in there SF'ers

30. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Here's something that changed,and I'm not that old:Cheap,real gas,not this chemically modified ozone friendly watered down crap. Real gas that made your car run right. Oil that actually did it's job protecting your motor,and gas station attendants that would fill your tank up,check your oil and tire pressure,and clean your windows.