Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Little Pages

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bjinx, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Was going through my boxes of car mags and came across these. My ex-wife picked them up at a garage sale maybe 25 yrs ago. The editorial in the Car Craft mag says this is the first issue with the new title. Also the cover car is from San Antonio (notice the Alamo in the background) built by a gentleman named Harvey Bott. In the article it states that the nose was built from "B-25 components and new sheet stock". There is a club plaque that reads the "HONKERS" mounted on the back of the car. The Rod & Custom mags are Vol. 2 #'s 7 and 8 so I am assuming 1954 was the second year for this mag.

Anyway thought you all would like to see some Hotrod history. Enjoy

Attached Files:

2. Dragons

Dragons
    BANNED
    from Topock,AZ

Many of us on here have tons of old mags. Fun to look through now and again.

3. Unfortunately harvey bott,s car is as ugly as a monkeys arse, but to each there own.

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The first issue of Rod & Custom was May, 1953.

November, 1953 was the first issue of "Car Craft". It was formerly "Honk!" magazine, which was published from May, 1953 - October, of '53.

5. froghawk

froghawk

Great old mags!

That coupe on the Car Craft cover is seriously fugly! Wonder if it's in a barn somewhere, and if found intact, should it be changed?

Maybe some history oughta be revised!

6. Muttley

Muttley

I always thought if Car Craft knew they would be around for 50+ years they would have picked a much better looking car for the cover of their first issue.

7. customcory

customcory

Harvey Botts car was in some old drag racing footage from Texas on youtube, but now its been removed dammit!

8. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

9. HJ BOTT

HJ BOTT

Its interesting reading the responses of some xenophobic hot-rod/car enthusiasts.
    The car was constructed as an exercise in (1) thumbing my nose at all the cookie-cutter coupes and roadsters in the early 1950's, (2) as a H.S. student wanting to learn more about welding and spray painting in becoming an artist, (3) using the car, within a H.S. student's financial restraints, as part of my portfolio to study at Art Center School of Los Angeles (now Art Center College of Design, Pasadena) that helped win a scholarship; and, (4) finding the range of provincial attitudes about what was and was not acceptable, photographically (disturbing angles) and functionally ........... until driving to, then racing and driving back to San Antonio from the great Wendover extravaganza.

patmanta likes this.
  10. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

Harvey, So do you still own the car?

11. HJ BOTT

HJ BOTT

By the way, the "fugly" coupe from Car Craft mag (formerly known as Honker) may be in a barn awaiting some bucolic transformation. The coupe, as far as I know, was last owned by the late Larry Shinoda of Corvette designing renown, a graduate of Art Center, having restored it and then exhibited it widely in the Midwest, late 1950's. He, too, was an envelope pusher.

12. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

How cool is the HAMB that the original builder can get on here and shoot back! I love this place. We should all be so lucky to have our ride on the cover of a magazine.

13. Harvey did you build any more cars? If so what were they

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  14. HJ BOTT

HJ BOTT

Did not build any more but did transform a 1958 Studebaker coupe to resemble a Maseratti of the time. Graduate school and taming the loins, while attempting to become a painter/sculptor, took the edge off cars until discovering about a 1962 Morretti, 2/5th the size of a Ferrari Dino of that vintage. That was some car! Following this thread, after so many years of car obsessions, has been great.

15. S.F.

S.F.

by the way, I love the smell of those magazines. Cool stuff.

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahahahahahha!!!.......Hey, good captian froghawk and Muttley .......... nothin' like talkin' crap about somebody's car, and not even realizing they're standin' right behind you! Hahahahahahhahahha!!!!!!!!!!! "Oh...well, er....uh, hi Mr. Bott, uh...sir. Uh...didn't see ya there!" :eek: -------- GOSH that was funny! -------- And a good night to you, Mr. Bott! :) - Rick

17. A Little Odd

A Little Odd

"How (why) did they really do it?"

Sometimes we forget that the builders may be out there...

If I read it right ...you wanted to be different. You were limited by personal experience and the resources made available to you.

This "fugly car" was a stepping stone to further your education and good enough to make the cover of a magazine.

Xenophobic ! Ha ! That would be most of us. Just try using the word "Rat" 'round here !

18. customcory

customcory

19. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

Thanks for the links customcory, thats neater'n shit!

20. HJ BOTT

HJ BOTT

Thanx for your comments

21. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

To me they smell like old record players from the 70s. Grab one re-sniff and tell me I'm right.

22. HJ BOTT

HJ BOTT

CUSTOMCORY: Attempted to answer you, in full, but there was some sort of error in submittal.
    Many, many thanx for spotting the purple coupe on the video. Unfortunately I did not get to race at Randolph air strips. Only built and ran the coupe 1952 & 53 then off to school & some time with Uncle Sam. Was fun watching these videos. Much advancement in drag racing organization had taken place by the time most of these movies were shot.

23. Rem

Rem

Mr. Bott, did you just happen to Google your name and this thread came up, or have you been here before? Pretty amazing that 50+ years after selling the car, you found this within a couple of days of it being discussed!