Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. lostintime

lostintime
    from minnesota

Built early 50's, ran in and around the midwest, cali and out east....not very competitive. Originally ran a Studebaker. Photo is from Racing Wheels, a midwest publication. Photo is from Sacramento.

Attached Files:

2. hopkins1

hopkins1
    from bedford pa

Ken,I found this car in a junkyard in Chaneysville Pa. in 1981. I paid fifteen dollars for it. Wynns #1 owned and restored it. He might want to tell the whole story.

3. larrypfitz

larrypfitz

Hi Rootie,

Great photos! Lujie built two new champ cars for the 1958 season. As your photo shows, the Bowes/Boyd/Bignotti #9 burned to the ground right out of the box at Langhorn, was repaired and continued to race for many years. Wynn's #1 restored it several years ago -- it's a beauty. The other 1958 Lujie car started life as the Hopkins/Amick #3, then raced for many years as the Joe Hunt Magneto #76/47/44/99. It survived without the need for major restoration and can occasionally be seen today at vintage events.

Attached Files:

4. Sprinter 2

Sprinter 2
    from Ct.

Hmmmmmmm That driveway looks familiar.......

5. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Yes he was.. This is my living room. (yeah, I'm single) :D

[​IMG]

6. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

After the 1954 500, Vuky, McGrath, Ruttman and Bryan took their cars to the Chrysler test track, where Bryan ran 166mph in the dirt car. Fastest was 172mph I think by Ruttman.

Think about that with those tires etc!

7. racer5c

racer5c

hey Josh I'm married and here is my living room

Attached Files:

8. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

:D:D:D Roy, I notice it's got the right number! ...wheres your grenade?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  9. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Really neat, Roy.

10. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Update on the current car on my table..

Back from Powder coaters, and the early 327 c.i. Engine is fresh and ready. (along with another for the next car waiting)

Now it's time for chroming, and final assembly.

Attached Files:

11. Hutcho

Hutcho

Im like you Roy,married & I've been banned from the living room,your a lucky man Josh LOL,so I found another room to play in.

Attached Files:

12. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Another pic of the Packard Indy car from our discussion months ago..

Attached Files:

13. Ebert

Ebert

Ronnie,

Love your room and you decision to "relocate." I have done the same thing...TWICE!
    E

14. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Josh, looking good ! Can't wait to see the finished car. You think Ronnie Hart ever had a powder coated frame??? Probably was white Rust-O-Leum.

Blacki-Suede

15. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

Yep, I've heard about the Phx. race. There wasn't any 'quit' in that guy, you can see it in his face in this shot from DuQuoin 1956:[/QUOTE]
    [​IMG]

this has been shown before, but he never gave up. If goggles get to dirty just take them off and keep racing. There was only one Jimmy Bryan

16. Hutcho

Hutcho

Ebert,thanks for the tip mate,no Im not moving again LOL
    Here is something I hope you guys may find interesting,its simple,cheap & the kids love it(little ones too).All it takes is an old helmet,old car & 3 OLD mates with better skills than me.

Attached Files:

17. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Doubt it.. But Ron did have some nice stuff over the years at times. Ol' #23 looks pretty good below.. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  18. Post #7978, great pic, but I think the guardrail looks more like Langhorne,
    mlight9.

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

1968-Big Al on his way to his first Champ car win on a oval track. The first of 2 (pre-split) Nazareth races and the first Champ race held at night. Edged out Mario for the win in Andretti's own backyard.

Attached Files:

20. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

That goggleless picture of Jimmy Bryan has to be warm ups. No dirt on the car.

21. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Josh, for a pretty much do it yourself, make your own parts, build your own car, Ronnie had some pretty nice stuff. Wish I had some pics of Clyde Gutzwiller's cars, they were always very well done. Back then most of the USAC cars were nicely painted, chromed, and well maintained - even the dirt cars.

Still looking forwad to see the car finished.

Blacki-Suede

22. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Actually, the "big" lap, that day, was turned by Sam Hanks in the Ray Nichels, Kurtis 500C, Firestone Test Car, with the 331 c.i. Chrysler Hemi engine, at 182.5mph.
    indyroadsters.webs.com/apps/blog/show/1950656-the-firestone-test-cars-the-fastest-roadsters-never-raced

23. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Nov 13/14/15, we will be running in the Indy car vintage meet at Texas World Speedway. We will be using our 1927 "Boyle Valve Spl" #15 Miller replica.

Any HAMBers in the area stop by and say HI!

Attached Files:

24. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

Hey Mack I am hopeing to get up there? The wife took out a big buck this morning with the left front of the new impala I havent seen the damage yet? Oh Well ? I guess a rental will get me there just the same.
    aXe

25. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Mac Miller Buddy, your article has nothing to do with what I wrote. 1954 is diffrent from 1952, 1958 whatever you stated. All I said was Bryan ran 166.

In actuality McGrath ran 179.386, Ruttman 174.762, Vukovich 170.234, Bryan 166.342.

Which makes Bryan the fastest dirt car driver ever, Sure under other conditions things were easter. But.... What I said was AFTER THE 1954 500...

26. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Josh, your car is looking great! I will have to stop by and see it soon.

27. weathrmn

weathrmn

Anyone going to Stan Lobitz in Hazleton on Sunday. Anyone have directions from I-80.

My Kurtis Midget is there

28. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

As accurately mentioned in my article,
    The event you are referring to was the June 1954 Grand Opening of the new Chrysler Chelsea Proving Grounds, which is also the same event that Sam Hanks set the fast lap of 182.5 on June 30 1954.
    Chrysler was still pissed about AAA outlawing their 331 inch Hemi from the Speedway in '53, so they invited the OFFYs to their new test track, let them run their best laps and, then, "poked them in the eye" by bringing out the, Chrysler powered, Kurtis 500C Firestone test car to set the fastest lap of the meet as the Grand Finale of their Grand Opening.

29. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Both Buildy & mlight9 from here & hopefully myself (not 100% sure yet) hope to be there at the annual LOBITZ shindig.

These direction are from Route 80 .. but coming from the east on 80.

<TABLE id=ddr_steps_0 class=ddr_steps><TBODY><TR id=step_0_12 class=dirsegment jsaction="click:dirstep.select"><TD class=num></TD><TD id=dirsegtext_0_12 class=dirsegtext>Take exit 262 for PA-309 toward Mountain Top/<WBR>Hazleton

</TD><TD class=cbicon></TD><TD class=sdist>0.2 mi

</TD></TR><TR id=step_0_13 class=dirsegment jsaction="click:dirstep.select"><TD class=num></TD><TD id=dirsegtext_0_13 class=dirsegtext>Turn left at N Hunter Hwy/<WBR>PA-309 S Continue to follow PA-309 S

</TD><TD class=cbicon></TD><TD class=sdist>7.2 mi

</TD></TR><TR id=step_0_14 class=dirsegment jsaction="click:dirstep.select"><TD class=num></TD><TD id=dirsegtext_0_14 class=dirsegtext>
    Turn left at W 11th St

</TD><TD class=cbicon></TD><TD class=sdist>0.3 mi

</TD></TR><TR id=step_0_15 class=dirsegment jsaction="click:dirstep.select"><TD class=num></TD><TD id=dirsegtext_0_15 class=dirsegtext>
    Turn right at Carson St
    Destination will be on the right

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

30. racer5c

racer5c

Anyone going to Zephyrhills next weekend? I will be there Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Can't wait!!