Register now to get rid of these ads!

ANY Pics of 4 door conv. to 2 door chops?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sinks88, Nov 3, 2009.

1. sinks88

sinks88

Hey guys,

Im looking to chop and convert my 4 door into a 2 door. I know its probably a bit rare, due to the fact everybody will just say: "just buy a 2 door" but, since I'm a poor Newbie, it is prolly a good opportunity for me to learn some pretty good hands on skills on a less then desirable car (to most), I have a 54 Plymouth Belvedere that I dig, and I think it might be cool to see what it might become if I were to do a chop/convert...

Any help/ideas of pics of other peoples projects would be great!

thanks!

2. DannyBastard79

DannyBastard79
    from Austin, TX

I'm considering doing the same thing on a 52 Ford Customline 4-door. But I'm gonna go the easy way and make it a removable carson top and eliminate the side glass. Hell, your ride might even look good if you chop it as a more-door. Who cares if anyone else thinks it's cool or not? Fact is, 2-doors are getting harder and harder to find and more expensive when you do. And who wants to have to get out of their car to let their friends in? :D

3. sinks88

sinks88

ya thats still up for debate (4 vs 2) It might look ok, I should do some photoshop'n but I figure this would be a pretty good forum to see if anyones tried it and has some pointers!

4. without getting the doors from a two door it will look gay.

5. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

6. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

Bah! Stretch the doors, lay the B pillar forward, reshape the back side windows.

If you're going to take on that kind of a job, jump in with both feet and do something cool.

7. Here´s a two door chop photoshop that I did a long time back.

[​IMG]

8. geemann51

geemann51

9. sinks88

sinks88

sweet, keep it coming! That 53 is tight!

10. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

I know Vicsinner used to have a 51 chevy sedan that was chopped and converted to a 2 door. He hasn't been on in awhile, but i'm sure he has pics of it. I loved that car and it was a hoot to drive.

11. Squablow

Squablow

It's not chopped, but I am a fan of 2 door conversions, it's often a much cheaper alternative to buying a nice solid 2 door. Especially here in the rust belt where cars dissolve into dust like Mentos in Coke.

Here's an old tech I did on the conversion

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78120

And some updated pics with the conversion done on both sides.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375098

If I can give any advice for you, it would be to get the 2 door post doors and quarters off of a donor car, since it's much easier to do. If you weld the back door shut and keep the shorter 4 door front door the proportions won't look right.

My second piece of advice is to do the 2 door conversion all the way through before you touch the roof. Don't attempt to do both at once, since you'll need the roof in place to make the doors line up for the conversion and you'll need the door gaps to be right before you cut into the roof.

The 2 door conversion with donor parts is easier than the chop, but both are fairly involved modifications, so make sure your welding skills and your patience are up to snuff before you start. If you do it right and it turns out looking like the James D Photoshop above (which looks fantastic by the way), it will be well worth the effort.

12. skyrodder

skyrodder

Here is how i did mine.. found a Pontiac at a junk yard and cut out the b-pillars and got some 2 door doors from a friend, then a lil cutting, grinding, and welding i had a better looking 54

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

originally a 4dr.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. sinks88

sinks88

SKYRODDER,

That is awsome! I love how you swept the windows forward!

15. sinks88

sinks88

wow!

16. fat141

fat141

17. sinks88

sinks88

Holy Shit, you guys are really inspiring!

I soppose I should try to find a donar Savoy! anyone have a couple doors and quarters? :)

18. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

19. fitzee

fitzee

NTAPHSE,Your car shows how anything at all can be made into a cool ride.Most would not give the car in the first pic a second look for a project. but you made a work of art from it. too cool.

20. 53choptop

53choptop

Thanks Gregg.

Pretty much everything everyone has posted is a way to go with these conversions. I don't have anything to add other than I didn't have the HAMB when I started mine, so i had to do a lot of things two, three, even four times to get it right. I got all my ideas from the black and white pics of the Buick 4 door conversion in Tex Smiths "How to BUild Custom Cars"

So you're already off to a great start.

Before in black.
    After in Red.

Attached Files:

21. hellbound gasser

hellbound gasser

I took the hard route and extended the front doors to make them coupe length....still not convinced on my roofline, might take it back apart and reshape...been on timeout since the last time Paso was in Paso...nowhere near finished but almost back on the road again....

Attached Files:

22. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Thanks, I actually saved it from the scrap pile. :)

In hind site I should have spent the money for a more solid car, live and learn.

23. koolkemp

koolkemp

I was wondering about your car and the Caprice chassis....do you have any problems with the track width being too wide on the front, and rubbing the tires on the fenders? I have a rusty ol 51 Merc ( no floor and thre frame is prolly just as bad) and am contemplating setting it up on a nice rust free 85 Impala that I have. If anything I think the Merc may be a bit wider...would love to get your opinion.

Thanks Steve

24. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I measured and the track width was pretty close, so no rubbing problems. Just take a tape measure to it and you'll find out!

25. koolkemp

koolkemp

LOL not much in the way of front end parts on the Merc carcass, dont even have any rims for it, thankfully the hubs are still there.

26. sinks88

sinks88

Has anyone ever tried to "section" each door to make one smaller (back door) and welded shut/gone and extended the front doors.

this would in my mind, take place almost in the centers of each door....that way you/I didnt have to find loaner parts, which Im having a real tuff time of finding.

I wish I could draw this out...but I think you guys prolly get the idea....

Are there any real reasons this wouldnt work?

27. skyrodder

skyrodder

i have seen a couple of mercs done that way.. just be carefull not to warp the door where you weld the extra metal..

28. You can look in my albums, I am working on a 51 chevy right now. I got 2 door doors and moved the pillar back. Everyone told me I should've started with a two door also.

29. draginsteel

draginsteel

Why not leave it 4 door. Check out Gino Depol's Dixie Deluxe

30. Squablow

Squablow

I've seen a few Australian and European guys do it this way, here's a pic, look closely at how it was done.

It'll work that way, but I think it's way more work, and I like to do things the easy way. Out there somewhere is a complete start to finish writeup on a guy converting a '59 Chevy 4 door post into a 2 door, he welded both door skins together into one giant door and then cut it down to length, sounds awful but the car turned out great in the end. I still think you're better off to find some donor 2 door sedan doors and quarters, my Fury was a breeze to do that way.

Attached Files: