Register now to get rid of these ads!

F100 4 speed floor shift conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by suede55bowtie, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Well I couldnt find a T5 for my Y-block, but I did find a 4 speed from a '57 F100 thats in really good shape and need to figure out if anyone makes a floor shift conversion for this trans? Or will I have to make my own setup?

From what I know these transmissions dont have OD, but Im not going to race my roadster and its got tall meats in the rear to ease the gear ratio/high RPMs for highway speeds ('40 Ford rims with 750 Firestones)

I'll take a picture of it tomorrow if anyone needs one.

Thanks HAMB

2. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

From what I understand, those early 4 speeds ARE overdrive. Borg-Warner T-86 is a 3spd w/overdrive. I was looking into that myself to replace the 3spd in my 63 F100. I've found a couple NOS shifters on certain auction sites that are made for them. They mostly are out of 57-63 galaxies and fairlanes I think, and mate to Y-block bells.

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

'57 Ford truck 4 speed is a floor shift ... it's also useless in a hot rod ...

4. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Why would you need a floor shift conversion for a '57 truck four speed? Unless i'm missing something here, that's already a floor shift (top shift) but it's also a low geared crash box. What you should look for is a later model (1985?) "RUG" --that's a four speed where 4th gear is O.D. (The shift pattern on 3 & 4 is reversed) Since they were used in a lot of Ford trucks and also Grenadas, they should be plentiful. It's a less troublesome conversion than a T-5. Of course the B-W T-86/R-10 or T-85/R-11 three speed + planetary overdrive which was used in a ton of '50s and '60s Fords would be a direct bolt up. They ARE side shift and would require a hard to find floor shift conversion.

uede55bowtie;4518742]Well I couldnt find a T5 for my Y-block, but I did find a 4 speed from a '57 F100 thats in really good shape and need to figure out if anyone makes a floor shift conversion for this trans? Or will I have to make my own setup?

From what I know these transmissions dont have OD, but Im not going to race my roadster and its got tall meats in the rear to ease the gear ratio/high RPMs for highway speeds ('40 Ford rims with 750 Firestones)

I'll take a picture of it tomorrow if anyone needs one.

Thanks HAMB[/QUOTE]

5. You have a four speed column shift truck transmission?

S10 T-5's are all over the place around here.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  6. RDR

RDR

Yah, but if you put a truck 4 spd in your hot rod NOBODY beats you through the intersection when the light changes!!!

7. Thats what I was told. Unless it could possibly be a 3 speed? I need to get a pic for you guys hang on

8. Ok so I found a pic, this is the transmission Ive got. Its must be a 3 speed. The guy that gave it to me swore up and down it was a 4 speed.

Attached Files:

9. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Well, as is so often the case in the world of buying/selling auto parts, he's full of shit. A 3+1 o/d trans from an '80s Ford 2WD truck would suit your needs fine; I just picked one up at a swap meet for $75.00, so they're out there. I've seen three different versions of them, the most rodder friendly one being the style with the shifter in the center of the top cover.

10. I checked into finding one of those transmissions a while back but the bellhousing pattern is off from a Y block. Thats why Im sticking with using this 3 speed Ive got. The guy that sold it to me is full of shit but ONE thing is for certain, its a mint trans. Theres GOT to be someway to convert it to floor shift. Anybody?

11. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Ebay and find a old Hurst conversion . You may end up making your own mounting brackets and rods. remember the arms on the trans need to point UP so the shift pattern is normal. Most stuff avaiable new is junk, but will work after a fashion.

12. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

Well, it has three forward speeds and one reverse, so technically, thats four speeds. But probably not what you're wanting. If its a truck four speed that granny low is useless and they don't shift fast at all. I had one in a 63 F-100 short bed 390. It was a good trans but forget speed shifting. It just made awfull noises and buzzed the shift lever.

13. do you know which truck trans it is? there was the BW T-85, T-86, and T-89, plus an earlier ford made three speed.. problem with the floor shift conversions for these is finding one that clears the OD hardware..

14. I would say look a little harder for the T-5 I have one behind my Y and I love it. Did the conversion myself, it's not that hard. :rolleyes: One from a four cyl. '88 Turbo T-bird is what I have, it holds up just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28gtzOJdHqg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Here is a crappy cellphone pic of a S-10 T5
    [​IMG]

16. Thanks guys, I think that Hurst peice might be my best bet.