Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Australian Ford 4.0

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Caballo, Nov 2, 2009.

1. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see where the 4.0 is a very common engine in the Falcon BA and you can even get stick shift ones. Is this engine related to the 250 of days gone by?

2. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Just Google Ford Australia.

Its loosely based on the old 250, but I wouldnt imagine parts interchangability.

Considering that they're just taxi engines, I guess you'd just buy one outright.

Also, check out the Factory HiPo Turbo versions....tweakers are pushing out 600+ hp on UNOPENED engines!!!:eek:

3. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually, I was thinking of getting a Falcon while I'm living in Perth. The 2003+ XR6 looks decent for a more door. I also plan some long trips and I can't see doing it with a wife and two children in a Micra-sized car. What I'd really like is an XA or XB. :)

4. 63Compact

63Compact

Its getting hard to find a XA XB Falcon thats in good nic as they were prone to rust, and since the price of the earlier Falcons went through roof they to are starting to go up. The XR6's arent a bad thing my Mum has one and it does the job nicely. Oh and the engines dont resemble the engines of old.

5. They will go like shit off a chrome shovel - especially the turbos - and yes, get the 5 speed.

As said, if you haven't already, do google Ford Australia.

6. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

off a CHROME shovel?????

I guess chrome DOES make anything go faster?!? :D

I had an 05 base model Falcon earlier this year (260,000 kms) and it really got up and boogied while overtaking on th Hume! ;)

Much better than the Crummydore I got now.

7. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

In a word .... No

8. Rocker gear in my garden variety 2000 model wagon.

Attached Files:

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For what the 4.0s are they are a great motor. Just way O/T for here, but If you are going to be based out of WA and want to drive to the other side (East) coast man you relay need to look at a late model car. The later model EA Falcons you can pick up from 6 to 7 grand and will do you well.
    Comfortable, easy to care for, not total fuel pigs, just what you need for a daily that has to go long distances. Honestly (And I can get kicked out of the Ford club for this) you wont go wrong with a similar age Commodore, even know the holden 6s are a V6 they are still a little behind Fords 6.
    Doc.

10. striper

striper

BA, Doc, not EA. You can get an EA for $6.00 or $7.00.

11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good point, and there ugly!

12. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that the "crossover" that I have heard about?

13. The head is crossflow.

14. fc ute

fc ute

so is your move a definate?

15. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are coming and need a car you might want to check gas prices here....... hate to say this out loud, but it might pay to look at a 4 cycl as a daily.

Or you could buy my 32 or 28 and cruise in style :) :)

16. Or a 3 cylinder, they're even cheaper.

17. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

If you get a chance the xr6 turbos are seriously fun to drive, best modern car australia has made. any BA onward falcon is a good solid car, with 180kw (240hp) at the engine.

18. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, my chest x-ray is currently being received at whatever MOH office and all visa applications have been sent. If I hadn't gone to India for a year that would not have been necessary. Unless something untoward happens with the project, I'm on my way, the stickler is I still don't know when, not until I get my visa approved. I expect that to happen this coming week.

As for petrol prices, it's about $1.40 AUD per liter? Roughly $5 USD a gallon. I plan on using public transport to get to work and the missus probably won't do much driving without me. Besides, I'll be getting a stipend to cover transportation, $500 AUD monthly to spend as I please. IF... I got something smaller, it would be a Focus. I had one once for a few years. We shall see, even a used Focus there costs more than a new one here. Additionally, the price differential between a Falcon and a Focus is pretty narrow. I am not going to pay $15k for someone's five year old Polo either. There is a point of diminishing returns y'know.

19. I filled up with 98 octane yesterday for $1.19/L. Bottom line is, prices vary in different parts of the country and different days of the week.

20. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That ain't bad at all, more than here for hi-test but not bad. I'm feeding a Suburban at home (she's paid for) and paying close to a dollar a liter for a vehicle that will get about 30% better gas mileage will be like a tax holiday the whole time I'm there. :)

Days of the week? Wow, that is a pretty volitile market; or is that always how it's been? Like weekends the prices go down or somfink?

21. It's called "up she goes Wednesday" here for that reason. And if its a long (3 day ) weekend, you can bet your arse it will go up 10-15cents per litre on Friday morning, and will drop by Saturday night. The gas prices here go up and down quicker than a 2 dollar hooker's knickers.
    But our LPG (propane) is cheap-50 to 60 cents per litre.

22. Mon - Wednesdays are cheaper, goes up towards the weekend, it's a cycle of maybe 5 cents. A lot of the country is pretty remote and fuel has to be trucked there - that costs of course and you pay accordingly at the pump. Then if there's a public holiday or things like Easter (4 day weekend here) it goes up like magic. Oil companies say it's just natural market cycles. Everyone knows it's profiteering.

23. striper

striper

And the Falcons will do 1,000,000 km on gas. Just ask a taxi driver.

24. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LPG is very interesting, but is it widely available?

25. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty much ast every service (gas) station. Dual fuel would be the go.

26. The LPG is widely available, I ran cabs for years and yes, I've got to 850,000 K without taking the head off (Falcon).
    The government will even subsidise your LPG conversion to the tune of $1750. That's why both our daily drivers run LPG, save the real stuff for the rods.