Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Getting ready to fire up the first car; the former Peters car.
    At Hatfield Speedway in 1966.

[​IMG]

2. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Guys,
    I was gone for a week and just getting caught up. The Ollie Johnson article was in Open Wheel, Mar. 1986. If anyone needs a referance, I have every one.
    Regarding Jiggs, he was one underrated driver.We went to Harrington Del. in 1968 with out a driver. Jiggs agreed to drive our sprint, started last and finished 3rd on KNOBBYS. Just before the feature, he handed me a napkin with his teeth in it! I have coffee with Walt Beletsky (94 yrs young) often, and he insists that Jiggs was his favorite.
    Also, one of my least favorite jobs as a youngster was getting fuel at the URC races. You see, Wimpy supplied our fuel and would hang over your fuel can with a lit cigar! Great guy.

3. wynns #1

wynns #1

Regarding the 51 Stapp car I can check with the Seymour bros. to see if they have any recall of the car. Have you thought of calling Steve Stapp?

4. baldtireman

baldtireman

hopkins1: Dick Bullings became a friend when I first started running my sprinter @ Lernerville. His driver then was a fellow by the name of John Rensel. Bullings owned the "Music House" in Erie,Pa. That Shilala car must have been driven by Rich Bonnell,uncle of Scott Bonnell,and son of famous midget driver, Al (Bon -Ami) Bonnell. As a sidelight,when I first started, a chassis failure caused me to spin at the start of a race. The two cars I collected in the wreck were John Rensel,and Billy Eash!!! Irony!!

5. baldtireman

baldtireman

Hey Corngrower: Billy Eash himself has photos of the remains from the wreck. I have seen them. I still talk to Billy occasionally. Next time I will bring it up . John S.

6. MIDGET-RACER18

MIDGET-RACER18

i have spoken with stapp.and he doesnt seem interested

7. greeno

greeno
    from Fresno,Ca.

The Atlas Chrome car is owned by Carl Schmidt in Stockton Ca, He isn't too eager to show it. It has a ton of stuff piled on top of it. I heard he had a fire but don't know if there was any damage to the car. The man is quite a historian and has an awfully lot of intresting racing cars and parts.
    Gary

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Jimmy Bryan gets upside down, early on, in a #1 champ car. No, it's not Langhorne 1960 but DuQuoin 57 and with much less dire results.
    About 4 laps in, he slides into the guardrail with the D-V-L #1, does a easy rollover and walks away unhurt. In fact, once they get it upright, he gets it refired and continues on for about 20 laps until the steering finally gives up.

Attached Files:

9. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

I sure wish the 1960 results had been as good. It kinda shows that if its its not your day, its just not.

10. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi HLFUZZBALL,
    Having trouble responding to your request. If you sent me your number, I will call you.

11. wynns #1

wynns #1

Just got off EBAY and found the remains of Johnny Parsons Autobrite sprint car( item 290363903957) What is the connection between that car and the Lupto#9/ Frank Curtis#8 that Lugi built or stretched?

12. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

13. Joe, go to "winfield.50megs.com/AAUpload/panther/blackpanther.htm", column on rite, EARLY IN '51,,,,,,,.
    mlight9.

14. MIDGET-RACER18

MIDGET-RACER18

are there other people with street legal sprint cars or champ cars posting in here,heres mine

Attached Files:

• 4[2].jpg
      4[2].jpg
      File size:
      44.9 KB
      Views:
  15. lostintime

lostintime
    from minnesota

Set up with 276 flatmotor, new headers, mag, clutch, starter, flywheel and gel battery. Taillight and provision for plate...will not drive at night.

Attached Files:

16. Buildy

Buildy

Lostintime-great looking car! Do you have the history of the car?

17. Mitch G

Mitch G

Mlight9,
    Here's the cover, it's the 1960-61 Race Track Edition. This issue covered the 1960 Indy 500, Daytona 500, most major sanctioning body's, even drags and boats.

Attached Files:

18. larrypfitz

larrypfitz

A few more words about the Atlas Chrome Spl., mostly lifted from a 12/14/05 NSSN article by Don Radbruch. The car was built in 1935 for Leonard DeBell, owner of Atlas Chrome Plating Works in LA. Some say Frank Kurtis built the car, but he may have built only the body. The engine was a DOHC Cragar. It initially race at Legion Ascot and Oakland but never won a feature. In early 1936, when Legion Ascot closed, it was sold to Neeley Burkitt in Portland, OR where it won the 1936 Pacific Northwest Championship. Shortly after WWII, Burkitt sold the car to Art Shanoyan in CA. Shanoyan rebodied the car and the classic look of "The Chrome" was gone. The car last raced in about 1952.

As Gary mentions, the car is now owned my Carl Schmid (no "t"). I have recently seen the car (see photos). It's safe and dry, waiting for the day when its next owner will dust it off and determine what level of restoration makes sense.

Attached Files:

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Langhorne 1958, a less than stellar day in Champ car racing. On a extremely rough and dusty track, pole sitter Jud Larson takes the lead and keeps it for 18 laps, at which point Johnny Boyd's brand new Lesvosky car springs a fuel leak and goes up in flames.
    After a very lengthy red flag, while a ill-equipped and inexperienced fire crew tries to put out the magnesium fire and the track is reworked, they get under way again. Eddie Sachs then puts on a charge and goes on to win his second Champ car race, while A.J. gets his best finish, up to then, in 2nd place.

Attached Files:

20. larrypfitz

larrypfitz

21. baldtireman

baldtireman

Guys: I found my pictures of my Stapp car. Anybody want to tell me how to get them on here? I am computer illiterate. I cant type ,either.. John S.:confused:

22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I'm working on one. It will be titled as a 1936 Ford. I hope to hide the lights and mirrors somehow, for display.

23. baldtireman

baldtireman

:):):eek::D:cool:
    My car is a four bar. I think yours looks like a spring front. John S.:rolleyes:

24. Rotta14

Rotta14

That looks like Bill Engelhart in the second pic. Bill might know where it ended up, maybe.

25. MIDGET-RACER18

MIDGET-RACER18

yeah it was a spring front

26. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

27. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Rootie
    [HTML
    Jimmy Bryan gets upside down, early on, in a #1 champ car. No, it's not Langhorne 1960 but DuQuoin 57 and with much less dire results.
    About 4 laps in, he slides into the guardrail with the D-V-L #1, does a easy rollover and walks away unhurt. In fact, once they get it upright, he gets it refired and continues on for about 20 laps until the steering finally gives up.
    ][/HTML]

Truely interesting, but did you know that in the last race of the 57 season, Bryan is leading at Phoenix, and on lap 96 goes through the fence in turn 4, keeps it running, comes back on the track, and catches Pat O'Connor, who inherited the lead, on the last lap, and wins the race.

He was amazing!

28. Buildy

Buildy

29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Truely interesting, but did you know that in the last race of the 57 season, Bryan is leading at Phoenix, and on lap 96 goes through the fence in turn 4, keeps it running, comes back on the track, and catches Pat O'Connor, who inherited the lead, on the last lap, and wins the race.

He was amazing![/QUOTE]

Yep, I've heard about the Phx. race. There wasn't any 'quit' in that guy, you can see it in his face in this shot from DuQuoin 1956:

Attached Files:

30. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

The other unusual thing from that last race of 1957, is, that is the only race a roadster led a lap on a dirt track. Bignotti's KK500 with Johnny Boyd.