Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Cincinnati Kid build thread!! 1930 roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JGRAFF, Oct 30, 2009.

?
  1. Kick up

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Or...not to kick up

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  1. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

It's time to start my very own build thread!! I've been on this site for a while and i have always liked the build threads. so now it's my trun to give it a shot.

Well it has been about 2 months since i sold my '40 ford truck and now that i got some dough i need to spent it!! I picked up this 1930 ford model A roadster body from a local friend and have been hammering away ever since.

I have the body at my house, starting on body work. But, right now most of the work is being done at my dads (due to that very tight working quarters at my place). i just got my '32 frame back from being set up. i had them z the back 6 inches and i'm thinking of kicking the front up, depending on my frontend set up. It still needs the rear crossmember set up, boxed, motor mounts, finish welded......a lot. also stated tearing into my '40 ford frontend. i split the wishbones, chopped the spring perches, took the spring to sand blast, and i'm in the process of salvaging the brakes. heres some pics!!

I promise i will get more organized as this goes on. So, please bear with me.

The big picture is to build it and drive it to Bonneville speed week in August 2010!! HOTRODDING RULES!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  2. 41hemi

41hemi

Very nice! Please keep us updated.

3. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

congrats. getting to build your own ride is soo cool.

-danny

4. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

Drivetrain will be 383 sbc/ s10 5 speed/s10 rearend (3.42:1 w/ posi). I have two sets of '40 ford steelies (16 by 4), so i have to pick the best 4 and they will be powdered gloss black and rapped with Firestone blackwalls 700-16 and 450/475-16.

my idea for color will be to have the wheels gloss black, the frame gloss black, the body is to a midnight blue(the darkest blue i can find), and all the other stuff (motor block, frontend components, interior) to be a graphite color.

I know its a little early to be thinking color but i cant help myself!!

Attached Files:

5. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Good luck with the build, keep pics comin'

6. evolvo

evolvo
    from Seattle

BMW has a dark blue called "Midnight Carbon". It looks black till you see it in the right light, check it out.

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Good choice of a color. Glad you didn't pick "resale red".;):)

Frank

8. BenDover

BenDover
    from SGV, CA

I'm dropping in a Dropped 40 split bone frontend as well on mine. I haven't started the build yet but make sure to keep the pictures and details coming.

9. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

BenDover...love the name!!!HAHA

The frontend i have is your standard 4" dropped superbell axle (46"wide) w/the 2 inch lowered superslide spring. I got most of the frontend components from my friends at Thomson's Garage. Great guys and really know their shit and like to help! Vega steering, '40 spindels and brakes, and the '40 split wishbones. Pretty standard, but it is right for this traditional/hotrod build.

also, i metioned the s10 rearend, but didn't mention the pete and jakes ladder bars and the '40 front spring for the back!! got the ladders from "Vaphead" (Riley Automotive). Thanks again for everything, i couldnt ask for a better transaction!!

thanks for all the support--definitly will keep the pics comin'

10. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

I changed the name of the thread. :D i just thought it was better than previous.

11. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't beat a A roadster on deuce rails- do you have any pics of cars you draw inspiration from? Let's see where this is going! Where are you going to get your stance? Tire size? Looks like you're on your way parts-wise! I hope you make your B-ville 2010 deadline... It sure helps when you have the cash to spend on your project... things seem to get done faster!

12. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

A lot of the inspiration came from my buddy Josh's '29 roadster. but, i liked the '30/31 body style so i had to get one!!

The next inspire'er was Bill Stelles '30 ford 5 window (2009 hotrod of the year). mostly for the frame. i really like the look of deuce rails kicked up in the front.

And next, i have no idea where i found this pic but i did and i'm so glad i did. This flat black roadster is perfect in my eyes.:eek:

Attached Files:

13. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice. I like the roadster also- the coupe is just a tad too swoopy for me, but the lines are right on. Are you going with a '32 grill shell? That black roadster looks pretty killer, and in your color combo would look even more badass. Good luck with your build! I know I'll be checking in periodically...

14. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

definitly going with the '32 grille!!! Well i'm up early today so i can get a full day in at the garage. So, i should have some more progress pics tonight!!!

STAY TUNED....

15. Anderson

Anderson

I wish you knew more about it too. The T windshield is different! But it's a good thing....

Just noticed the 28/9 quarter panels on it too. Odd combination of parts, but I really like that roadster!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  16. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

Well, I made some decent progress yesterday, mostly on the rearend. Starting to set up all the suspension, so, I can set the rear crossmember in place. The first job was to clean this thing up, it was really dirty. Then the old parallel spring brackets came off.
    So, being that the speedway spring brackets are made for 3 inch axle tubes and the s10 rearend is about 2.65" diameter. I had to either just fill the gaps with weld (which i thought may create too much heat and warp them) or make some sleeves to fill the gaps. I’m happy with it.

Has anyone else done this or have other experience with this dilemma? I will probably do the same thing for the ladder bar brackets.

anyway...pics attached

also got the lug adapters in the mail friday. (5x4.75 to 5x5.5). This may not be permanent. They are one inch wide so I will see how wide it makes the wheel base and decide at a later date. I think the billet aluminum is so shinny it makes me sick, so, I may get new axles… just 'cause. HAHA

I also included some more pics of my beautiful deuce frame and the tires I will run (mounted on my spare set of steelies). I’m sure... but has anyone else used baby powder to mount tube tires?
    HOTRODDING RULES!!!

Attached Files:

17. solid

solid

Good stuff jgraff. I'm staying tuned in to this one.

18. DiabloMann

DiabloMann
    from colorado

Keep us updated, can't wait to see it in person at Bonneville

19. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

I didn't know until now that you got rid of the truck.

I can't believe that a Graff is not building a fat-fendered Ford! :D

20. SKRTCHSR

SKRTCHSR
    from Cincinnati

Very cool! Keep it real in the Nati!

21. Kiwifruit

Kiwifruit

I believe that black '30 roadster was built by rocket speed down in new zealand.
    try their website, they might have more pics/info.
    www.rocketspeedequipment.com

22. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

I know! I know! Well, don't worry I'm sure i will be back. In fact, i think dad just as excited, as i am, for something new to be built!! HAHA

www.rocketspeedequipment.com Ive never heard of these fellas. the stuff on the site is awesome!! thanks for the link, Kiwifruit.

they have a picture in the "workshop" section of a '31 roadster with a similar color combo as i thought of in earlier posts....i think they copied me!!JKJKJK But, at least it's on another continent. I always think it so funny when the same car pulls up next to each other. I don't think that will be happening!!!

Well, i'll keep 'em commin'.. i got a lot of work to do!! Hope to see you all in Bonneville. HOTRODDING RULES!!

23. Koz

Koz

A man after my own heart. Most people thought I was nuts for painting my roadster blue but it didn't turn out bad. Nice to know I'm not alone. Check out the thread, search "Koz roadster". I built mine to take both the flatty and Chevy. I keep watching, good luck.

24. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Looking Killer! I'd like to have it in "mock up" stage for Cavalcade...

Thanks,

J Shaw

25. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

Movin along quick....great lookin start!

26. cool stuff ,wow somebody has a smaller garage then i do im shocked keep up the good work and keep us posted

27. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

If there is a spot for me, I'll be there!! I had a blast last year. WOW... i just remembered it's in January... right? I got to get to work!!! HAHA

Attached Files:

28. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

Just a small update.

Got the spring on and set it under the frame just so i could stand back and look at it.

What do you think.. should i make a 4-wheel-drive rock crawler out of it??? HAHA Don't worry that's not happening. The next couple of pictures are where it should be at ride height. I am going to C-notch the back and i've decided that i want to kick up the front. This has to be done if i want it this low!!! My motto is "all or nothing" So, i'm going for it ALL!!!

Thanks for all the feedback.

PS... working on photos - sorry

29. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

ok can anyone help me??? i have my pics in a file on my desktop. they are resized and everything. i usually attach them by using the "manage your attachments" button at the bottom (when you are composing a reply). when i hit upload the box refreshes but nothing happens... no pics... wHat the hell is going on???

30. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

I'll try in the morning.....