Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1955 chevy in 1965 ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomb, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Thumper

Thumper

[​IMG]

OUTFUCKINSTANDING !!!

2. Abomb

Abomb

Well, this thread has gone 3 pages farther than I thought it would....and boy do I have some decisions to make over the direction of my car......I had it pretty much done in my head, and then 4 pages of different choices on beautiful cars.

My car is definatley the ugliest car on this thread, but that's why I started it....to check out the options......

Thanks Guys

3. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

I know, not a 55 but a now deceased guy i knew locally built this a few years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Jay71

Jay71

Wow, really cool 57.^^^^

5. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

Yah, it's 1 of my all time favs. Billy built some cool shit over the years. Some of his stuff took best of show at world of wheels. Too bad he took himself out. :(

6. bitchin!

7. Shiftee

Shiftee

my 55 going for that same look.

Attached Files:

8. DeepSea Fish

DeepSea Fish

Your car is perfect.

9. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Holy shit, this one's perfect! Anywhere from 1960-67 would be more like it. Maybe the intake setup narrows it down to about 1965-67 but this one's right on.

10. Abomb

Abomb

This one really is making me think chrome reverse and narrow whites are the way to go.....awesome......

11. Abomb

Abomb

Since I got my 55 running and mobile, I thought I'd take a couple pictures, so that you guys could better see what I'm working with.....the paint and bodywork is horrid, but it hardly has any rust under the car at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. gasser55

gasser55

Always liked the mid 60's look.......... My awb 55
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. roughidle

roughidle
    BANNED
    from iowa

A wheel change would do wonders for your car. Glad you held out to get what you wanted.

14. Mmmmmmm Butch........ looking at "ALL" your tasty rides I'm the one tossing and turning at nite......lol......I've always like that black 55 of yours brother and I just know that the 56 is going to look so sweet when done.

I'll also second that thought brother.......CUT55 's 55 looks KICK ASS!

Attached Files:

15. realkustom51

realkustom51

This picture was taken by my dad in 1965 of the Red Reaper, Charlotte, NC. Indoor car show at the Coliseum.

Attached Files:

16. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Chris: change the wheels. I dig the sidepipes, so leave them and see how it looks with wheels and perhaps a lift in the rear.

17. Abomb

Abomb

I have thought about painting them with high temp black, and moving them in under the rockers. If you've seen my wife's burn scars from harley pipes over the years, you'd understand why I NEED to do something with them.......

If it's hot, and within a 5 block radius, my wife will burn herself on it.....:D

18. Bud

Bud
    from Orange, CA

gasser55 your car is tough.

uwonamos that is one sweet 55 .

Newbomb....I don't like 57's generally but that thing could make a shadow in my garage anyday!

it is cool.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  19. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

[​IMG]

just posted in the Gasser thread. Note the sidepipes! I am TELLING you, man, you got something there!

20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Anybody going to photoshop this for him?
    I would if I could.

21. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

I'm starting to really dig this thread.

Got mine out today since it was so nice out. Fall colors and my "Great Pumpkin" go together.

[​IMG]

What a day!

[​IMG]

Lynspop likes this.
  22. violet springs

violet springs

[​IMG]
    July 1965, my dad's red and cream 55, he was running flipper hubcaps but they were stollen.

23. uwonamos

uwonamos
    from Omaha, Ne

My inspiration came from '65, but basically I'm just showing off my newly painted headers! This thread is kickin butt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey, my kid thought it was COOL...

[​IMG]

24. Herdez

Herdez

My brother in-law use to run around in the 60s with a 56 wagon on Keystones,fenderwell headers and 60 over 283 and gave me his copy in the 80s. Its what he had on his wall. I bet many had this too.

[​IMG][​IMG]

25. Abomb

Abomb

uwonamos, my car came from NW Omaha. I found it on Craigslist......

Herdez, love that poster, I've never seen it before.......

Bob, I'll think about the sidepipes.....honest.... If I take them off, you can have them.

26. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

A guy that went to my High School had a 55 that sat like this. I bet it drove like hell but I always thought the look was cool.

27. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I would lose the little protector thingie over the lock mechanism, squirt some black paint over the leaf springs with yellow overspray, lose the side pipes, add a set of Cragars and call it a day for now.

That would make for a great looking car without spending much money. You would get a TON of compliments while you spend time detailing everything else out.

Do it. Post some pics!!! Good luck.

28. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

White headers are COOL!

29. Abomb

Abomb

Yeah, the lock / scratch protectors are gone, it's just that they took the paint with them.....:D

As for the overspray, somewhere along the line, someone "detailed" the bottom side of the car with white spraybombs....

30. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

I don't quite recall what was typical for "hot rod" tri-5 Chevies in 1965, but if circa '68-'69-'70 is close enough
    for you I do remember a friend's older brother's '55 Chevy street racer, that while maybe not exactly typical, was considered one of quickest, trickest hard-core street cars in town. Basicly a plane -jane, '55 Chevy business coupe, with a Muncie 4-speed, 4.56 geared '57 Olds rear end, buzzed rear wheel openings, no front bumper, and slightly raised suspension via air shocks and slapper bars in back and coil spring and ball joint spacers and shock extemsions in front. Paint was dark blue (stock color maybe?) but with white lace paint stripes added to the roof, hood and trunk lid. In its first incarnation , circa '68-'69, the engine was was an 11.to 1, 327-375 hp short block, with ported heads, a solid lifterEngle 'oval track' cam, an Offy cross ram with two 550 cfm Holleys and 1 5/8 fenderwell headers. Later on - around the spring of '70 the car got a bit more (a lot more?) radical with an L88 solid-lifter cammed 396 and with alluminum heads, a gutted Chevy L88 intake with a 950 Holley 3-bbl - and later, the same combo, but with 5.13 gears , ladder bars and a tunnel-ram with a pair of 660 Holleys. Around the same time that the car got the big-block, the stock front suspension was chopped out and replaced with a straight axle and leaf springs from a '66 Chevy van. The first time around - circa '68-'69, the wheels and tires were a pair of 9.00-15 re-cap cheater slicks on 7 inch wide chrome reverse wheels in back, with a pair of 15X4 Cragars and 7.00 -15's up front. Later, when the car got the big-block and the straight axle, the wheels and tires were replaced with Fenton aluminum slots all around - 15X8.5's rears and 15X3.5's front -with a pair of 10 inch-wide M&H slicks with some minimal tread grooves hand cut into them on the rear and a pair of 5.50 VW-beetle -type tires up front.

Mart
    ================================