Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Hey Blacki-Suede You're probably already aware of this .. Don Edmunds has plans for both his single tube & space frame cars available on his Web Site for $45.00 each.

"MIGHT" be a good investment so that you can see what should & shouldn't be.

BTW -- NICE FIND.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  2. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Thanks, I have the plans for the single tube Edmunds car, but those plans do not show the single tube, half torsion bar, rear susspesion. I guess if Don only did four or five with that design they were not on the plans.

Blacki-Suede

3. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

This was the car whose pictures I was looking for. Last Benson built? and a 1 of a kind. Hopefully He goes into detail in his book about it?
    check out the other pics here from the march 1986 issue of Open wheel.
    https://openwheelracers3.com/Vintage.html
    aXe

[​IMG]

4. NorthEastMetal

NorthEastMetal
    from CT

Here's my cageless midget photos....1/4 midget that is. We ran four cars during in 1965-66. That's me in the Luther under the waving flag (my first race) and my cousin in my brothers # 87 car. Photos are from the Hayward track in 1966.

Attached Files:

5. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

Funny but 17 years later in a caged car, a Silva Rigid Hawk at the next Hayward track off Winton ave in the industrial park. We had a clean sweep in the California States race there. My son was 7 and a Jr novice, He basicly out witted the hard chargers who spent the whole race crashing each other out, He won the main event after setting quick time.
    ended up being the Jr novice champ for Baylands of Sunnyval ca that year.
    aXe

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  6. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Latest info I received from Don Edmunds regarding my Edmunds midget find/restoration.
    Blacki-Suede

Carroll
    unfortunately I didn't put much info in my early records, just single tube midget , no details, but I did find one I built ,a 1/2 bar for Ray Lattie in 1967 which I have listed as CBM5.
    That's probably not the same car, but who can be sure. I also have one for Doug Caruthers and another for Bob Bahre ,I think they were both 1/2 bars but I'm not positive, In the picture you sent, it appears that the grill is made of steel, that would make it a very early car.
    Wish I could be more help, but in the early days I never considered any one would be restoring my cars 40 years later
    Don

7. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

I question the Ford Ferguson unless it was an overhead valve conversion cylinder head or unless the exhaust was run out the bottom on the left side out of sight.

The flat head Fergie had intake and exhaust on the right side and the later OHV (if the car currently running on e-bay is correctly identified) had intake and exhaust on the left side.

Does the roadster in fact have a crossflow head?

8. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

'28dreyer, Hi! Yes, it was an overhead valve conversion done by a man named Gil Goliday from Sacramento (CA) of which Walt Reiff, the builder and owner of the roadster midget also resided. A few years later when GM came out with the 4 cylinder Chevy II engine, Gil started making aluminum, cross-flow heads for that engine. I seem to recall that the heads were poured in a foundry in Grass Valley (CA). I've said this before but, when Gil died in a plane crash in early 1963, Louie Senter from Ansen Automotive in Southern California came up and paid Gil's widow a visit........'And the next thing you knew, the Ansen aluminum, cross-flow head for the Chevy II was on the market!

NorthEastMetal likes this.
  9. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

Well now ya learn something new each and every day on here.
    aXe

10. Hutcho

Hutcho

You guys have a wealth of knowledge that astounds me.

Can someone post that pic of mac millan sat in his old car,I just love that pic & the look on mac's face is priceless,& thats before it gets started.Love it.:)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  11. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

12. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Do you have knowledge of this head for the Fergie being aluminum or iron and whether it might have been an F head or a full OHV?

13. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

[​IMG] Sorry about those caged cars po... this was during warm ups or qualifying? aXe

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  14. Here is another from San Jose 1964 !
    Bob Dejong Hits Hard in turn one and two.
    This would not be the first time Bob would hit hard in his life.
    Sim Clarks Chevy II with Dick Atkins on his way to 1964 chapionship !

Attached Files:

15. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

I usualy dont ask for autographs but I did on this occasion, Last post was a downer for the Stryker offy, This one was an upper,They won this day at Vallejo And it was the autographs owner who won for them His first USAC National Midget win.
    aXe

[​IMG]

16. Hey Axe , Is this that day at Vallejo !
    Or is it West Capital.

Attached Files:

17. bobjeffreson

bobjeffreson

The other half of that famous match race with Sherman Cleveland, Sydney driver Bryan Cunneen, seen here in a nice colour shot in the Linklater Holden midget.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  18. chicken coupe cook

chicken coupe cook

19. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

Looks to be West Cap, I dont remember any tires on the pole at Vallejo. The banking in the back ground looks to be the Yolo flood control basin levee.
    aXe

20. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

........'It's Capital. Those are the railroad tracks and "Tight-Wad" hill in the background. The two captions below, I hope will back me up and make me sound a little more believable to 28dreyer. Another picture of Shorty Templeman in the roadster at Oakland in 1958; this from the grandstand side showing the exhaust. And the caption are the words from the well known author, Jack C. Fox, noted historian and publisher of many racing publications.

Attached Files:

21. A couple photos from the Golden Wheels midget photo disc:

Einar "Swede" Lindskog circa 1946 and Clark "Shorty" Templeman circa 1951. Both came out of the Pacific Northwest. Both, unfortunately, lost their lives in racing accidents.

Attached Files:

22. I "lifted" these a few years back from some sort of ebay page. Covers of programs from Northern California.

Attached Files:

23. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

How many of you remember this Eastern Indian Midget owner? The one in the black hat. Take a guess. He had Vogler as a driver at Grandview.

[​IMG]

24. More of the Reife Roadster.
    It's Ironic you have the photo of the same two cars lined up.
    Charlie Lawlor looks to be surprised that he is getting passed !

Attached Files:

25. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

That's one of the best driver reaction shots ever..

26. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

Ya got it right Little Fauss, Not sure how I got that levee moved over there.
    aXe

27. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Neat midget on Ebay, listed kind of funny so you may not see it if you look under midget race cars.

Item #290366092143

Interesting piece, kinda pricey??

Blacki-Suede

28. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Yep...bit pricey.
    It has some later stuff on than 60. Especially the iron duke and later version hilborn stuff. It will make someone a cool little toy. I cant tell what the chassis is for sure. Single tube parallel rear spring front...later kurtis mutation or copy ?? You looking for another one ?

29. Hutcho

Hutcho

Jim not only the look on his face what about his hand position.