Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who? is the cheapest on new stromberg 97's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5wcoupehunter, Oct 31, 2009.

1. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

looking for the best price on six new stromberg 97's . Does any body know who has the best price?

2. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

The best price is at Speedway motors.

3. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

I want real strombergs.

4. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

If you are buying six, you should contact several sources and ask them to bid on it. That's a chunk o' change.

If you had popped $50 to the HAMB for your Alliance membership, you'd have a built in discount with more than one dealer...

Hmmm

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Craig,
    I would suggest that you contact Dick and talk with him.
    Here is a link to his website http://www.dickshotrodplace.com/ and he is HAMB approved. He goes by disckster27 here on the HAMB.
    Your going to need help ya know ;)

6. Deadbird

Deadbird

Thank You! After reading about the Speedway knock-offs, I'm glad to read that someone wants the real deal over cheap price.

Good idea about getting bids on multiples. Not a bad idea in this economy.

7. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

There's a guy on eBay Buyitnow $299.00 might be able to swing a deal for 6

8. Big Tony

Big Tony

I've heard great things about Dickster27 and I've seen his work...it is badd-ass and he is well respected.... Do it right once...or a couple times wrong before you do it right....Good luck

9. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I've seen that guy on Ebay before. I assume this is the listing you're talking about http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bran...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories.

Despite what his ad says I think he is selling the Speedway knockoffs not the REAL Stromberg 97s coming out of England. His ad is VERY deceptive. Also the product, including packaging appears to be probably as close as you can get to the original while still avoiding a law suit.

I have seen the REAL Stromberg 97s on Ebay (like thishttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stromberg-97-Carburetor-NEW-Hot-Rod-Rat-Rod-V8-Flathead_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35a4718049QQitemZ230392168521QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories) but they tend to go for closer to the $450 mark.

Jay

10. Fitysix

Fitysix
    from Md.

Dickster27. Nuff Said!
    Fitysix

triumphleroy likes this.
  11. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

There are a number of guys rebuilding "real" 97's, but here in California we have "Strombergs97" who not only rebuilds the best 97/81/48's available, but he actually goes that extra mile and has helped some Hemi guys in NorCal get the most out of their buck by tuning them in on a dyno.
    We call Duane, Mr. Stromberg here in California and if you want the best possible "real" stromberg give him a shout. Oh, did I mention that he also makes his own linkage that is some of the best I have ever seen..................
    Here is a picture of the Hemi with six carbs that he helped tune to over 500HP.............Mr Strombergs97 is in the brown plaid shirt.
    Oh yes, Strombergs97 has rebuilt hundereds of 97/81/48's and shipped them all over the world!

IMHO

Attached Files:

12. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

thanks for the info. I do have six old 97's but I think it would be better to buy new ones. less problems.

13. Marcy

Marcy

14. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

I have talked to mike at the hot rod company he was very helpful and so far he is the cheapest.

15. George G

George G

Uncle MAX. Best price and great service. He's a Hamber.

16. mj40's

mj40's

I have a friend that rebuilds them. He has been buying up cores and doing a complete rebuild for bolt on to go. He has been selling a few rebuilt to an antique supplier in Kansas. Last I heard they were $300. He had a 3x2 set at the last swap meet all chromed up and did they look purdy! I don't know what all he does but he knows all the tricks and machine work. He finishes the outsides and looks better than new. If I can find a nailhead intake for my 401 I will use a set on mine. I will see if I can get any photos.

17. He says in the ad he gets them from Speedway!...........................

18. Carter

Carter

I sent that guy on ebay a message about his ad. Probably won't do any good, but trying to pass off the Speedway carbs as Stromberg 97's to the uninformed is mucho bs.

19. AB,

If you find that VERY deceptive..... you're too easy man.

No part of that looks legit.

JH

20. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Several months ago I reported it to Ebay also. Doesn't seem to have effected his ability to sell them using such misleading descriptions. I don't know how he gets away with it. I feel bad for the people that shell out the cash expecting a genuine Stromberg and end up with that.

Jay

21. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Harrison- by 'VERY deceptive' I was meaning intentionally misleading.

22. Glen

Glen

23. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

5wcoupehunter,

You will have less problems with Strombergs97 rebuilts than brand new Repop ones, and if you are actually going to run all six, then you had better think about ajustable jets or you may not get the motor/carbs to work well.

IMHO

24. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

He's advertising the new old 97's not speedway.. Didnt look to much into it,, just saw the price.

25. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I clicked on the Add he is not deceptive as he stated that he gets them from speedway.

26. 32ratsass

32ratsass

Concernng the ebay add that has been referenced several times in this thread. There is nothing deceptive, misleading, or shady about the listing if the time is taken to read it. It says " Brand new REPRODUCTION Stromberg 97, and it says he gets them from Speedway. There is no clearer way of saying Chinese Knockoff, than what was written. Best plan if you want real ones, is to go with real 97's from one of the Alliance Vendors mentioned. Knockoffs may be OK, but "they are what they are!":D

27. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Instead of asking "who is the cheapest on new stromberg 97's" why don't you ask for the BEST source for new stromberg 97's?

You get what you pay for and service often times makes a real difference when shelling out big bucks. SoCal Speed Shop in Phoenix and The Hot Rod Company have both provided top notch service on Stromberg products.

28. 8flat

8flat

All true. I had very good luck with the rebuilt 97s and progressive linkage that Duane built for me. Besides that, he's a good guy to deal with, very honest.

29. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

I second that one - I got mine (real Stromberg - the ones made in England) from Uncle Max too. Excellent transaction, fantastic service.

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I went from a pair of rebuilt 97's done by one of the best in the business (Jerre Jobe) to a pair of brand new 97's. The difference in throttle response is amazing. And, they don't leak.

Unce Max rules as well...

Speedway Motors is a farce. They are dead to me.