Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1950-1953 Plymouth & Dodge Thread....lets see what you got.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xxwelderxx, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

If anybodys looking Ive got a 50 4dr for sale in the classifieds cheap!

2. Rob_LoKs

Rob_LoKs

Hey guys, here are some pics of my 51 dodge wayfarer. Currently working on it, slowly.

Attached Files:

3. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

Just picked up this 50 business coupe last weekend fresh out of the POs garage after 18 years of storage. Immediately christened it "The Vinnie". I didn't even get a chance to see if it runs yet, but it's very solid and complete. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it t, but probably just a mild custom and give it to the GF to drive.

BTW - if anyone is looking, there is a 49 Fastback for sale on CL near me for reasonable money.

Attached Files:

4. hotrodkiwi

hotrodkiwi

Not sure who the owner is, but the car is located here in New Zealand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

here is my 51 belvedere[​IMG]

6. Here's My Way.
    It's a 1950 Biz couple, rock stock engine and tranny, that work like they should, handles like a boat and I dig it.
    Hey Tank..thats one bad @$$ :eek:ride fo sure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    put in a nos temp gauge and sender..all the others work fine (its seems)
    got a horn ring and button on its way, and a seat bracket so I'm in one place when its time to shift or hammer it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  7. here is a 52' suburban i looked at last week. really a solid car for $1,500

Attached Files:

8. moparkevin

moparkevin

The one in MN up by the North SHore looks good.. at least before is gets frozen into the ground..

9. some updated pics

Attached Files:

10. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

wanna get rid of that hood lip trim?

11. lowmaster

lowmaster

Is this thread open to Chryslers also? I noticed a DeSoto slipped in here too. Lots of cool car on this one.

Attached Files:

12. Here is my 49 Dodge Wayfarer convert. built in the late 50's. Full custom sectioned car from the SFB area known back then as "5 Aces". Next shot is of it being restored back to its former glory or so I hope. Body work is 85% done now. Amazing hammer welding body work with zip for fillers. Finished so nice that one can't find any seams on the backside either.:D

Attached Files:

13. addman

addman

Hey what ya gotta have for that wagon minus motor and tranny. sweet ride

14. jleavesl

jleavesl
    from Houston

I've always had a more than mild obsession with mine. Yes, I'm aware that it is a 4 door... but honestly, I've had an obsession with this car since I was a kid. In fact, the whole reason I'm even into old cars is because of this car. Here's the first ride I took in it as a child, I was probably about 6 or 7 years old. My Grandfather is driving it, my Great Grandfather is riding shotgun (he owned it at the time), my mother is in the back (she bought it after he passed), and I'm the rather affeminite looking child hanging out the window.

[​IMG]

My great grandfather finally passed away at the age of 92 (when I was in the 7th grade), ironically he was in a car accident, and didn't pass from old age. My great-grandmother decided that it was time to get rid of the car, and my mother purchased it. I was riding shotgun when it rolled 100,000 miles (or 200,000... or 300,000.... odometer doesn't go that high). When I finally got my license, my mother taught me how to drive standard in it (column shift, long throw clutch pedal, an inexperienced 16 year old, and a mother who shrieks hysterically whenever you grind a gear makes for a memorable experience but probably not the best education. My great uncle provided me a much better education in his old Willys M38-A1).

After I finally mastered the clutch, I'd beg to drive this car. I got to take her to homecoming my senior year. I did have a date, and did get to experience the back seat that evening. You folks who grew up in the 50's don't realize how good you had it, and if you'd like to figure out a comparison, grab your old lady and try to couple in the back of Neon. You'll yearn for the good ole days.

Whenever I'd get grounded and the keys to my bonneville were taken, I'd air up the tires to this thing, run a jumper to the coil from the battery, and jump the starter solenoid and use it while my parent's were at work.

So time passes, I go to college, come home, get a job, buy a house. All the while this car is sitting dormant in the back of my parent's garage. Just sitting and waiting for me. All the while I pester them to either give her to me or sell her to me. I was persistant and finally, after almost a decade of harassment, they relented and for the tidy sum of $3,000, the title was placed in my hands. It was my car. I drug her to a shop to have the brakes fixed (I was completely illiterate to most of the things going on under the hood aside from the electrical system, and figured that I didn't want to learn my first lessons on the brakes).

After I picked her up, I drove the ever loving shit out of this car. If it wasn't raining, I was driving it. When something would break, I'd fix it, and slowly my knowledge grew.

[​IMG]

I took her on a Reliability run about 7 months after I bought her. Here's me behind the wheel.

[​IMG]

Well, after driving her for awhile, tragedy struck. I got into an accident and Haggerty deemed the car to be totalled. It was a 4 door 50 Plymouth and not the most desirable car to most folks. They gave me a fair settlement and the case was closed.... the car that I had lusted after for over three quarters of my life was off to the scrap heap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The payment was fair, the damage extensive, and alot of it was beyond my tools and my skill set. However, nobody has ever called me "practical. I paid the cost to buy back the scrap and I had her drug back to the house. She was lost for over a week, floating around a scrap yard. Finally they dropped her in my driveway.

I took the remainder of the money from the accident and bought myself a monster of an air compressor, a good set of wrenches, and alot of beer. I then ripped the crushed sheetmetal off and had the frame pulled. I actually took her out for a drive in the condition seen below. I just needed to drive her, to help remind me why I was doing what I was doing.

[​IMG]

Hung new sheetmetal from the parts car on her:

[​IMG]

Took two weeks off last Christmas and spent it in the garage will an orbital sander. For most of that holiday, I looked like a damned smurf. Once she was in bare steel, I drug her in for paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hung sheetmetal. Replaced everything that could be failing, moved her over to 12V complete with a 100A alternator, dropped in the spoils of Circuit City's unfortunate fiscal situation (2 800W Sony Amps) into the trunk.

[​IMG]

And then I took her back out on the street (this is the day I got it all put back together, though before everything was finished):

[​IMG]

A year and a half after the accident, I drove it to have a beer. It was one hell of a good beer.

Is she perfect? No. In fact she's getting the front end rebuilt now. Is it still a four door? Yes. Does it classify as a Custom or a hotrod? Hell if I know. Is she fast? No. But is it a hell of alot cooler doing 40 in mine than doing 80 in a Honda? Oh yeah.

So that's what I'm driving. She's a 50 Plymouth with the original 218ci Flathead. More importantly, it's my car.

John

martin53, low budget and acjcf2 like this.
  15. rjgideon

rjgideon

Here's my '51. 440, 727 auto, 8-3/4" rear, Scarebird disc brakes on front, Cavalier rack, notched and bagged with Kustombuilder AirLift kit, chopped 3 1/2" vertically with pancaked rear roof section. The '40 Ford rear glass section is being removed, it just didn't look right.

Attached Files:

16. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

this HAS to be THE ugliest 53 ply ever ! Pappy Wilcox built?? ground off 9 diffrent paintjobs.the white w/black had to be THE WORST thing i've ever seen.also ground off about a ton of bondo and molded fiberglass bumpers.WTF they were thinking i don't know.
    still not finished but is a blast to drive w/ the original 6 standard.
    gone to look fot current pics.

Attached Files:

17. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

I know,still not pretty but real good driver.still can't find pic's with curved windshield and skylark bumper.don't need the visor to hide the bad chop!

Attached Files:

Moparguy_bmx likes this.
  18. Vorhese

Vorhese

My 53 Desotie
    [​IMG]

19. jleaves, AWESOME story man! Enjoy the hell outta that car. I just picked up a 49 Plymouth 4 door 3 weeks ago. Lowered it, painted the wheels black and threw on some baby moons! Enjoying it so much, my first oldie!

josh

[​IMG]

20. NOT_SO_FAST

NOT_SO_FAST
    from IL

Sweet ride!

21. 73RR

73RR

Beautiful DeSoto !! If you find her twin let me know....

22. desotoman53

desotoman53
    from Conroe

23. desotoman53

desotoman53
    from Conroe

my 1953 desoto traded for a 1966 mustang i paid $1000 for

24. what you did, in my book that makes you a hero, great story. Bud

25. Thatguy51

Thatguy51

How about a 51 plymouth ?? IMG_1520.jpg

IMG_1534.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg

26. 53 Chevyply

53 Chevyply

Heres my 53 Plymouth Cranbrook. Camaro subframes front and rear, SBC 400/400 tranny, frenched, shaved, radiused etc. I've had it for 20+ years and drive it daily (May - October). I never fail to get interesting comments due to these cars obscurity.

Attached Files:

27. dart165

dart165

my 54: Stock original body, 6 banger - fenton intake/split headers. Dropped 2"all all around. I hope to take out another inch or so this winter, and building a 241 with overdrive for it.
    [​IMG]

48 PLYMOUTH HEMI likes this.
  28. Billa212

Billa212
    from Milwaukee

I'll slide a Chrysler in here too...

Attached Files:

29. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

Love your story... glad you were able to bring your '50 back to life.

Mine is a four door too, and proud of it :D

Pete