Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. bobjeffreson

bobjeffreson

Does Cleveland look like a midget driver or what with that race face.
    Here at the Sydney Showground.

[​IMG]

2. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

Her is one for ya,1959 Oakland Ca. Exposition bldg, Whos car, The drivers Name and what kind of engine??
    I am not sure even for sure about that engine.
    aXe

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  3. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

Another one from Oakland 1959. Dave Imrie won the B race Championship in 58 with this car then one more extra race that year at the Cow Palace He put the car in the trophy dash!

[​IMG]

What is so different about this car than ever other midget, look close, it was probably the only one like it?
    #2 car Johnny Baldwin in the Stan Brooks V8sixty Stan in back on left,This was the 58 indoor Championship Owner and Driver
    aXe

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  4. KKx125

KKx125

Looks like george benson san jose

5. Walt Reiff Roadster Home built . chev II

6. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

Home Built chevyII 1959?
    I think the first 4 cyl chevy II was built in 62.
    another hint it isnt chevyII there werent any heads cross flow until mid 60s.V8 head used on them first I think?
    axe

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  7. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

not even close.
    aXe

8. Ok Axe, LittleFauss how many nights did you spend here ? I Think I was there every race for 3 years. It was a Blast !

Attached Files:

9. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

Well We got the car right so far. I waited for what seemed like years for the debut of this Walt Reiff built Roadster but it was only 2yrs. It finaly showed up at San Jose in 58 it seems. That paint scheme wa a purple and white. Great looking car brand new.
    aXe

10. Was I close on the owner / Builder ?
    Give me a break I was only One in 1959 !

11. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

First race there for me was in 57. I got a full can of beer dropped on me and it filled up My shoe. I think Bob Veith won the main that night?
    From 58 on I neve missed a race until they shut the doors down in 69!!!:>:)mad:
    That was 12 races ever winter in ther for 11 years. 122 races Best racing I was ever involved in.
    Best race of the night was always the last one, That is from the Expositon building to either
    4th st or oak st to Pelusos resturants for the free buffet!
    aXe

12. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

big Hint that Driver won 11 midget championships from 49 to 58 From the West coast to the Midwest.
    aXe

Hey no guess on that strange 95 car part?

here is the car the year before those indoor races, This was at San Jose speedway. It is more obvious in this picture what I am talking about so I made the picture smaller.
    Uncle Dudly (Bob Hewitt) in the seat Curley Gardner and Chet Taylor behind him.

[​IMG]

Ok The answers,
    That driver was as sharp as they came in midgets, none other than
    Clark (Shorty )Templeman.

The Engine was I am pretty sure a Ford Ferguson tractor engine.

That strange car had from the rear radius mts on the frame back to the rear bumper Main Frame "RAILS" everything forward was tubing a Sim Clark conversion.
    aXe

13. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.................'Sorry, didn't see that you already said that it was Shorty Templeman driving Walt's roadster. Also, it did indeed have a Ford Ferguson tractor engine in it. Sim Clark debuted the Chevy II engine when GM first came out with it but, that wasn't until 1962.

14. Hutcho

Hutcho

That seems an amazingly small track Sprint4.Liverpool City Raceway was a twin track with the inside track being used for the solo & outfit bikes.I remember running on the inner track in a TQ 1 night & that was a handful,I can only image running a midget on this small track you'd be busier than a bricklayer in beirut? The smell of the feul & the noise levels,wonderful...Did any spectators ever get hurt here?,I take it this is San Jose??

15. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

If you are speaking of the track in post number 203 it is not San Jose, that was one of the larger indoor tracks ran out west located in South San Franciscos Cow Palace.
    aXe
    I never heard of any spectators geting hurt in the Cow Palace except for a Bike race with Evil Kenevil jumping his bike on the same program. There was an altercation that started with Evil and the Hells Angels that led to at least 1 maybe 2 Hells Angels getting killed back then.
    On one of the smaller tracks there was a death connected to the Santa Rosa indoor track. This took about a year to finaly happen, The driver hit his head on one of the posts surrounding that very small track, He never recovered from it.
    There was also an incident at Oakland with Joe Leonard involved, He hit the gate that allowed entrance and exit to the track, That gate opened out ward, there was a group standing to close to that gate,When Leonard hit it it broke open and He went past the flying open gate which knocked down that whole group standing there breaking several legs and such.
    Leonard kept on going ending up under the stands I was told.
    The very next race that gate opened inwards.
    axe

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  16. bobjeffreson

bobjeffreson

The other half of that famous match race.
    This is Bryan Cunneen in the Max Linklater owned midget. A locally built car as I recall, powered by a Australian made Holden [General Motors] straight 6 cylinder motor. Linklater always fielded very fast midgets with the best drivers.
    One story I've recently been told by a mate in the pits that night, was that after Cleveland charged into the pits, Max Linklater a large man by any standard, who never presented anything but a pristine racecar, was waiting for Cleveland in his pit bay. Story goes that he "lifted" Sherman out of his midget and enquired....
    "Hey Cleveland...how it was possible that the left rear wheel was buckled, when it was the right rear that grazed the fence and don't do it again as I don't like replacing wheels"
    ... and put Cleveland gently back down into the seat of the racecar.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  17. Rotta14

Rotta14

Sherman Cleveland getting ready to "do battle" at the Sydney Showground !

Attached Files:

18. If you are speaking of the track in post number 219 that is Oakland Expo. Building. As Axe said I think the only time a car left the track was Joe Lenoard.
    I think they called it a 10th mile.
    It was so small that if you got in a tangle it could block the track and a lot of cars would get stopped . They only had two Jeeps to start the cars and they would line you up by who got restarted first. Harry Stryker would use long stroke pistons with a short stroke rod in his Offy and he and one other guy would push start it and not have to wait for the Jeeps.
    Here is another shot of the Back stretch.
    If you look way up on the back wall that cat walk is where the photo in post 219 came from.
    I would think the EPA would have closed that place down in a second !

Attached Files:

19. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

I think you are right about the epa closeing down an indoor track with bad fumes. Not sure why it hasnt happened yet? check out the dangers of breathing methanol fumes and it will scare you. But having done it for over ten years straight and hopefully it hasnt done any damage to this old guys body?
    The Oakland track was called a tenth of mi? But upon looking at the drawings measurements in the book "Indoors" by Tom motter (highly recomended if you dont have a copy)The measurments were taken from the middle of track, it was closer to a thirteenth of a mi there. Now going a step further they ran the pole allmost exclusivly making it even smaller. And there were smaller tracks! San Jose fairgrounds was so small it was hard to keep 10 cars running in there. Great for bikes but to small for midgets.
    Those two jeeps Refered to were the Jakes Jeeps from Jakes Used cars in San Francisco. The brothers Jake and Leo fathy were there for every race indoors BCRA ran from 1949 until 1976 in Santa Rosa. Rain or shine they had to drive those two jeeps from the city to Oakland, San Jose and Santa Rosa never missing a show! Out standing dedication.
    aXe

20. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

Ok now for those who were addicted to the old Open Wheel magazine. I am trying to find the issue with the Oliver Johnson, Benson Offy Midget article in it?
    Anyone have an idea which issure number it was?
    Thanks for any help You can give Me.
    aXe

21. KKx125

KKx125

george benson write up was in open wheel march 1986 page 52. I visited george at his home at campbell when he was restoring the last benson made.A beautifull car with a 120ci offy. He has moved from campbell now further north. He told me the car would probably go to a museum ,posible the smithsonian.Please reply if you have trouble gordon AUSTRALIA

22. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

Much thanks I found it.
    aXe

23. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Originally Posted by Hutcho [​IMG]

Roy I believe the guy on the left was one of the pilots & part owner Bill O'Connor who flew DC3's out of Philadelephia lived in Chicargo.Then (L to R) Phil Richards,person unknown,Willie Kay NZ crew chief 1977 /78
    Aviator racing also consisted of Joe....? flew 767's.Barney....? check pilot/senior instructor.Maybe Greg Seashore?...I think Aviator racing is still operating with 1 shareholder...Ron

<TABLE id=post4436152 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" id=td_post_4436152 class=alt1><FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG]
    </FIELDSET> <FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Images</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG]
    </FIELDSET>
    <!-- / attachments --></TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2>[​IMG] [​IMG] </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE id=post4436152 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" id=td_post_4436152 class=alt1><FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG]
    </FIELDSET> <FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Images</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG]
    </FIELDSET>
    <!-- / attachments --></TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2>[​IMG] [​IMG] </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <!-- / message -->
    <!-- / message -->

24. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Quote: HUTCHO

Melbourne!south of the border mate,we call them mexicans here(hope thats not offensive over there,its a joke here).I notice the tyres you have 3 slicks 1 tread did this car run asphalt? I run my first season on the black stuff & loved it(in what I think you call TQ) in1983/84 season.Coundnt get enough heat in the fronts so grooved the tyres to brake up the wide contact area to make it work harder,instant temp.One of my friends Barry Graham was sensational at Liverpool,he then did well at thunderdome & now is doing real well in US (Richard Petty deal) as did another friend Walter Giles.Walter resides in US was spannerman for Marcos Ambros but has since moved on.
    I would like to get a pair of used Goodyear fronts as on my Larry Rice car 68x13x7.

Attached Thumbnails

25. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Quote HUTCHO<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    I first thought this was a good looking #3 but when I sat down I thought this is a great looking #3,thats from my view anyway. :D
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG]
    </FIELDSET>

26. Hutcho

Hutcho

Great info Sprint4 & Digney.I havent been to the Chilli Bowl so I wonder about the fumes there? I think I'll have to get there before the EPA do.Are there still indoor tracks operating? any asphalt?....BTW during the 60's early 70's a friend of mine used to run solo bikes at the Sydney Showground,the pits were referred to as the bull pens & were under a grand stand.Steve would have all his pit area organizes & put his goggles over the handle bars etc,often he'd start stackin the goggles on only to find someone in the pit must have added nitro,yep that stuff that sends them cloudy.Lost more sets in the pits than on the track even though no one was using nitro,just ask them yeah right.

27. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Just received this from Don Edmunds after sending him some images of the midget I recently purchased. I was charged up to restore the car, but this just makes the adventure a little more interesting.

Through this thread I was also able to get in touch with Fred Rockey (OH), the last owner/driver of the car - mid seventies. He bought the car from King Kramer (MI), who bought the car from the Kenyons - or so the story goes.

Carroll I have no doubt that is an Edmunds I only built 4 or 5 single tube 1/2 bar cars ,but I am positive that's one of them. It would have had no cage when new, that must be a Kenyon add on.
    Don

Attached Files:

28. RIM_RYDER

RIM_RYDER

Looks like you got a great restoration project. Wish I could of found an old Edmunds. Looks like the original tank bracket is under the current one. That's the fun stuff, trying to save the original.

Attached Files: