Register now to get rid of these ads!

replaced MII control arms

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldspert, Oct 28, 2009.

1. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

If you have read my post on the crappy MII control arms I got, then this is an addendum. The replacement arms are supposed to be TIG welded, says so in their magazine ad. The ones I received are MIG welded. I know this because there is a short piece of wire still attached. Question is should I grind them down and TIG the joints or just leave them. Remembering the quality of the last set I got, I'm tempted to grind them down to the base and TIG them back to a nice fillet. Welding is no problem, I have been welding over 50 years.

2. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

Well if it were me... I would send em back if I was concerned about the welds. Grinding the weld down and TIGing over the MIG will do nothing other than make it pretty. The initial penetration into both pieces was MIG... I vote against welding over them. Send em back or run em as is.

3. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Can't send them back, this is the second set of crap I received. And as far as welding over the MIG, I disagree because pipe lines are welded in multiple passes with different types of welding rod for each pass.

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

why not? they're not what they said they were, you've had nothing but problems. Did you pay with a card?

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

did you mention where you got them in the other thread? if not you should to warn others. when I buy something I was to get an as advertised usable part with the first shipment. I don't want to ever have to call the manufacturer.

6. sloorider

sloorider

your a welder so you know best but grinding them down is a must anyways...
    I followed your original post, sad tale for sure...

7. Dragons

Dragons
    BANNED
    from Topock,AZ

Is the mig weld on them bad? Or just not what you ordered? If they are welded up corectly, what are you really gaining other than a spent afternoon?

8. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

I did ID the company in the first post. They are Helix parts. Wouldn't recommend anyone buy their products.