Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration PHOTO CONTEST: Goodguys Yearbook COVER SHOT - $250+more prize!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Oct 27, 2009.

1. KIRK!

KIRK!

OK, this is just an idea that I thought up yesterday. I was thinking about all the killer submission for the calendar thread and I wanted to give you guys a shot at getting your stuff on the cover of the yearbook. Yes, the format is VERTICAL, just like for the calendar. If you're confused, that means taller, not wider. I'll add that the format is

VERTICAL!

I'm not cropping your horizontal submissions, so keep them for another thread.

The world is being directed to www.goodguysforum.com to submit, but you guys can just post here on the HAMB and I'll check them out.

Questions? Just ask here or email me at [email protected]. I'll be in Charlotte and at SEMA for the next week and a half, so there may be a delay during that time.

The prize is your photo on the cover of thousands of Goodguys Yearbooks distributed in 2010, $250, a one-year subscription to the Goodguys Gazette and 10 copies of the yearbook.

Contest ends 1/1/10!

Haters can stay away. Everyone else...GOOD LUCK!

The official schpiel...

For the first time in Goodguys’ history we are opening the cover of our yearbook for reader submissions. That’s right! Here’s your chance to get your favorite photo on the cover of the 2009 Goodguys Yearbook that will be distributed to every participant at every event throughout the 2010 season. Get your photography noticed!

Basically we’re looking for great VERTICALLY-formatted (taller than wide) hot rod, custom and muscle car-related photographs. They can be from a Goodguys event, on the road, in the garage, close-ups, whole cars, etc. They can be photos of your car, a buddy’s car or just one you thought was cool.

What do you win? How does $250, a year subscription to the Goodguys Gazette, and ten copies of the 2009 Goodguys Yearbook with your photo on the cover sound? Pretty cool, eh?

Well, what are you waiting for? Dig through your stash of favorite photos or get out there and shoot something. To submit, just post your your low-res (600x800 pixels maximum - .jpeg format) “judging” entries right here in this thread. If your submission is chosen, you’ll be required to supply a high-res image (2600x3500 pixels minimum - .jpeg format) to use for print.

Good luck!

Previous Goodguys Yearbooks...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RULES OF THE 2009 GOODGUYS YEARBOOK COMPETITION

OUTLINE: Goodguys is looking for “high-quality” vertically-formatted submissions that match the “high-end” quality associated with the yearbook. The subject can be anything hot rod, custom or muscle car-related. “High-quality” refers to the execution of the photo and not necessarily the subject.

WHO IS ELIGIBLE: The 2009 Goodguys Yearbook competition is open to anyone from any country. Professional and non-professional photographers are encouraged to submit entries.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES: All participants must submit their work online or via email. Digital files are required for judging. Digital “judging” submissions must be no longer than 800 pixels on the longest side and saved as Jpegs (.jpg), in RGB format and not exceed 4MB each file. (Low-res submission - 300x400 pixels optimum - 600 X 800 pixels maximum). A final high-res version of the winning submission will be required and must be supplied no later than 2/9/2010 (High-res submissions 2600x3500 pixels minimum - .jpeg format). Do not send originals prints. Goodguys is not responsible for lost or damaged prints and will not return any physical submissions.

ENTRY FEES: There are none! Submit as many photos as you like.

USE OF IMAGES: Copyright and all other rights remain that of the photographer. Any photograph used by Goodguys shall carry the photographer's credit line. Use may include publication in any Goodguys publication and/or advertising related to the contest. All entrants understand that any image submitted to the competition may be used by Goodguys for marketing and promotional purposes including in any media such as exhibitions, print and digital media directly related to the 2009 Goodguys Yearbook competition, though there may not be monetary compensation.

JUDGING: All judging will be done by the Goodguys Gazette staff and will be final pending guideline-correct submission (see submission guidelines) of the winning photo. To be considered, photos must be vertically-formatted. Goodguys will NOT crop horizontal submissions. Inability to provide winning entry in the required high-res format will result in disqualification. Winner will be notified my phone or email. The winner will be announced no later than 2/2/2010.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  2. skunx1964

skunx1964

yer a brave man for tryin this after the calender fiasco.....

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

can we just post random crummy snapshots that we think are neat here or is this for quality photos only?

4. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Post them pics he didnt say its easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission havent you ever been married .:D

5. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment. I just thought it was a good opportunity to spread the love, but someone will find some conspiracy.

Funny!:rolleyes:

6. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yeah, I sort through thousands of photos every week for a living. I'm good at ignoring crap. :D

7. BLAKE

BLAKE

Just a thought - like you did with 'VERTICAL', you might also want to HIGHLIGHT that you'll ultimately require a 9.1 megapixel JPEG version (2600x3500) of the winning photo. I can just see you picking a winner before finding learning that the highest res version of the submission is significantly smaller than that.

8. KIRK!

KIRK!

Good idea

9. Dave_D

Dave_D
    from NY

I'm not sure if this is up to par with what you're looking for, but i'll give it a try...

[​IMG]

10. KIRK!

KIRK!

Great first submission!

11. Dave_D

Dave_D
    from NY

Thanks, but I guess I should have read the rules a closer before I posted, my original is not big enough to qualify. Oh well, thanks for the chance anyways.

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How many can we post? Just go all out?

13. Here are the first batch of my submissions

Attached Files:

14. KIRK!

KIRK!

No limit! Go for it!

15. Here are the second batch

Attached Files:

16. GOODGUYS? ... I always thought they were a (now defunct) Consumer Electronics retailer ... or some sort of organization for circa 1970's Ski Boats ... if it's the latter, here's a low-rez scan of a vertical B&W photograph taken in the '70s:

[​IMG]

That's Gary, the owner of the boat, sitting on the bow ... me sitting on the starboard side ... and Gary's son Marc sitting on the stern ... those were Good times!

I have the original negatives (so resolution won't be an issue) ... but I don't have a signed model release for Gary (you'd have to track him down)

:rolleyes:

17. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

18. KIRK!

KIRK!

I still LOVE that photo!

19. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

Here's a few...

20. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

Sweet I am going to go out and shoot some stuff for this asap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are an insane amount of awesome shutterbugs here, and I didn't see anything about B&W's not being allowed, although Goodguys seems to like color. But what the hell... I'll give it a go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. KIRK!

KIRK!

Black and white is just fine!

23. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

24. KIRK!

KIRK!

John, you're making this difficult already!

25. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

I have to make up for all the pics I couldnt take at columbus due to the rain...........Hey now that you have ran those pics can I make a columbus through the eye of a chicken thread?

27. KIRK!

KIRK!

Hell yeah!

28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeesh... I must have like 3000 horizontal pictures. One day, someone is going to ask for a horizontal submission! HAHA! :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. RocketGirl

RocketGirl

Here is a Dodge we did. It was a Warner Bros. car that was used in the movie "The Big Sleep" with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Becall, it was the bad guys car that Bogart took to escape.

Attached Files:

30. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER