Register now to get rid of these ads!

turn signal/brake light....help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by smokindave, Oct 27, 2009.

1. smokindave

smokindave

I have finished rewiring my '51 Poncho, and I am blowing my brake light and turnsignal lights. The kicker for me is that the fuse doesn't blow instantly when the brakes are applied, it blows after about 10 seconds. I have retraced the wires back, and can find nothing wrong. I also put a jumper across the 2 brake light wires (the car has a pressure brake light sw. on the master cylinder) and it did the same thing. I noticed the other night I have no turn signals now either. First the left went and then the right. I am using the original turn signal switch too. Does anyone have a solution for this? I am stuck. Thanks in advance, Dave

2. R Pope

R Pope

Could be a faulty switch. Get a good multi-meter and check the current draw in the circuits. But first check all the light sockets for a good ground. The three most common electrical problems are, grounds, grounds, and GROUNDS!!!

3. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Grounds. Check them all. Fuse is blowing though because you've got a short from power to ground. Check the insulation on the power wire on the light circuit.

4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

First off, check all connections (GROUNDS TOO!). Next, what fuse value are you using? If it is underrated it will go, but slowly. I believe 9 amps is typical for brake/turn signals.

After that, you will need to systematically go through ALL wires to the turn signal switch and check for any of them being grounded. When doing this, remove front and back turn/brake light bulbs, otherwise you will get erroneous readihgs. Might want to disconnect brake light switch and flasher.

If you find any that are shorted then you are on the right track. If you find grounded wires, then disconnect turn signal switch from wire harness and recheck both sides of the connector for grounded wire. That will narrow it down.

5. squirrel

squirrel

check the wires in the column, and where they connect to the switch itself. If they are 60 yrs old it's likely that the insulation cracked or crumbled and is shorting to ground.

6. smokindave

smokindave

Thanks guys. I will be digging into this tonight.

7. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Definately a power wire gounding out ,Some where .

8. Could you have pinched a wire while tightnig a clamp down. Sometimes you can short a wire and not break the insulation. What kind of fuse box. The glass are the newer ones? If glass in the old fuse box try cleaning the fuse box contacts.

9. smokindave

smokindave

Found the problem and fixed it. 440roadrunner, everything is 12v. Bulbs and all. I thought I may have forgotten to switch one of the bulbs out, but I didn't. The problem was a pinched wire going to RR turnsignal. BUT now I have a new problem. The last two days I have come home from work, my brake lights have been on. Apparently a long time because they are hot as hell by the afternoon. They were not on this morning, but when I got home they were on again. Any answers from anyone?

10. sota

sota

Sounds like you have a missadjusted or bad brake light switch. Try pulling up the brake a little and see if the lights go out,if so adjust the switch. Or you have a bad switch.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  11. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

Again , I think hes correct.