Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs '57 El Camino: Can it be done right???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mtlcutter, Oct 27, 2009.

1. mtlcutter

mtlcutter

I know that I am bringin the shit storm on asking this, but I've got to. I have seen a couple of pictures of nomad's made into elcaminos. Some of them are good, some not so good (understatement). With all of the really good looking nomads out there, is there anyone that has pics of a well done nomad to elcamino conversion? Lets see them.

2. Alright.. I got the car for you but no pics, sorry.
    Its a 56 El Camino that looks like a factory perfect produced car owned as far as I know by Bump n' grind auto body in homer glenn illinois.
    This El is gourgeous!!!! orange and white, the cargo bay looks perfect and the rear of the roof is from the wagon with perfect qtr windows cut from the wagon windows, with the wagon liftgate that actually opens. I assumed it was made from a 2door but after looking at the length of the doors I came to realize that it was made from a 210 4door. I can't give this car enough praise, hopefully someone can come up with some pictures of it for you...

3. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Talk to the boys in Australia. You want a 57 chevy UTE. Same as an el camino. They been makin em since god knows when. Chevy in Australia is called Holden right? Don't cut up a wagon!

4. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

I dont think so.
    Where did you get this idea from?

5. 63Compact

63Compact

Holden made utes but they aint Chevs.

6. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

is the roof on your nomad trashed? I am just trying to figure out motives on the why factor?

7. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I have never seen a 567 elcamino that looks right to me, I even have a pic somewhere in my huge pile of magazines of a 55 elco factory concept idea, even that lookes bad to me- that idea used a 2 door wagon door, and what looked like a 567 truck big back window back window.
    the converted nomads make me sad...

8. As a '57 Nomad owner I can say, don't cut up a Nomad dude. That's just a crime.

9. Shane T.

Shane T.

10. Recycling a clapped out wagon is acceptable, cutting up a Nomad is not!!!

11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

This one is on epay:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

12. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

It looks like someone butchered a nomad....the humanity!!

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

They have been trying to d this since the 20s...make a good looking truck out of a sedan or wagon. I've only seen one that I liked.

[​IMG]

The rest just look like abortions. The back window on the above 57 looks like it came from a bead blasting cabinet.

14. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I remember seeing a black 57 that Boyd coddington did years ago that had a 59/60 style top.
    It didnt look as bad as some Ive seen......I cant find a pic of it ???
    A guy near me has a 55 nomad (yes another nomad) thats was done this way years ago and its also for sale.

15. 1oldrat

1oldrat

This was a 2 door wagon before a tree fell on it.

Attached Files:

16. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

This one looks almost as good as the siding job he did on his house in the background.

Attached Files:

17. Good eye! and good point! :rolleyes:

18. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Looks like they cut up a '57/'60 F100 for the back glass/section of that top too! Just doesn't look right.

19. rainh8r

rainh8r

There used to be a 55 in the Renton WA area that looked pretty good. Green, Nomad short roof, decent lines. Some are terrible, but this one stayed around for years as a driver with someone taking care of it. They were just wagons when it was built.

20. Fewer '57 Nomads made than '55 or '56. No matter how bad the body is, ...... DON"T CUT IT UP!
    You're obviously not afraid to do some serious body work so why not start with a 4 door wagon?

21. This one looks alot better than that red one, in my opinion...
    [​IMG]

22. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Sure...Only Ford did it, and they call it the Ranchero...:D

23. That black one looks much better. Very factory looking. I don't think they look right when they are made from Nomads. There is too much slope in the tail gate area.

24. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

wow that black one looks awesome... wasnt there a flat black 58 at the hamb drags a while back??? i liked the looks of it alot...

25. alumslot

alumslot

This is a picture of a 58 I took at the pileup. I think in 2006 may be what you are talking about.

Jim

Attached Files:

26. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

just because you can dose not mean its not worng.

27. I think the Nomad's B pillars are problematic to build a convinceable clone. The black 57 is on the right track. Here's a stolen HAMB photo of a '56 that was never finished.

Attached Files:

28. this is without doubt the coolest 57 elky Ive ever seen this shoulda gone into production.........it was at scottsdale last year and looked GREAT!

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the black one looks like a 59-60 El Camino roof and back glass has been added. looks way better than the red one and no Nomads were destroyed in the process.

30. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

Except did Chevrolet want the roofline of their '59 shown to the public two years before the launch?

:confused: