Register now to get rid of these ads!

60s Vans making come back?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low budget, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiveWire64

LiveWire64

Hey, I notice you are from Taft,Calif. My 64 Chevy van once roamed the streets there. Reno Hightower used to drive it:D
    You should buy that early van. Brad[​IMG]

2. virtualvanner

virtualvanner

It was actually the 37th van Nationals that you went to in Pa. this summer. Here's a shot of 24 of the 30 or more pre 1970 vans that were in attendance. There were 550 vans at the event.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  3. Fu-Manchu

Fu-Manchu
    from az

Here's mine, soon to replace my truck for a daily...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. rev106

rev106

5. Chuck Carman

Chuck Carman

I always liked the old vans. I wouldn't mind doing one. More so if they're not hip.

Attached Files:

6. selohssa

selohssa

I was just at the local wreckers today and sure enough, two more vans covered with murals. I have saved as many as I can but soon there will not be any left. That is right when they start to cach on around here.

7. crook

crook
    from Winder,Ga

My daily driver...
    [​IMG]

and my nasty vintage theater seats that fit perfect....I was stoked...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

not too safe for running folks around in...but I dig 'em and they fit like a glove.:)

8. i got this one here for some repairs.

Attached Files:

9. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

They didn't call them "shag wagons" for nothing! :D

10. KRUZIN62

KRUZIN62

Here's my rare, two owner 1966 Dodge A-100 "Sportsman" short wheel base, window van ("Family Wagon" camper kit). Factory "273" V-8 (2-barrel carb) with automatic (727 Torqueflight). Heavy duty 8 3/4" rear end with 3.55 gears. Has the cool automatic shifter on the dashboard and REDLINES. Currently on Egay.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. LiveWire64

LiveWire64

Don't suppose you take pictures of the ones in the wrecking yards do you? Thanks,Brad

12. neon charly

neon charly

new guy here. did a search, and im glad i found this thread! this is my summer cruzin' machine.1978 chevy short WB. fixed it up over 10 years ago,,,,, and im still rockin the van! i wish there were more on the roads.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I like that van neon charly, my dad also had the twin to that one,.........
    You guys need to be careful tho with the years on these (mid 60s back on this board)
    This van thing is kind of borderline on what this sight is about anyway.
    I love this thread and would hate to get it shut down after its been going for over 2 years.;)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  14. neon charly

neon charly

so sorry, i would hate to get this thread shut down as well.

i love checking out everyones pictures and projects. theres alot of talented folks on here.

i just noticed that there were serveral others posting pictures of newer vans and no one really seemed to mind, in fact some were requesting more pics. so i thought i could share something that i built and spent alot of time on.

but if its against some stated rules then i will respectfully refrain from posting anything more about my van.

thanks to everyone who has posted the great pics. keep the thread alive. long live the van!

15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Great attitude, The van is still cool:cool:

16. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Ultimately your right...but I think we need to consider the timeline of van popularity. Vanning was at its biggest point later than this board normally covers, but its still traditional to THAT point...and Vans were the last recipients of all the old style customizing tricks...if you discount the bolt-on flares and bubble ports etc.
    Frenching, chopping, tunnelling....any metal work...you name it and it works on a van!

It's a good, clean, popular thread. I can't imagine it getting locked.
    I'd draw the line at modern minivans etc though because they came along after the point where traditional vanning started to drop off.

Keep on truckin'...Hahaha :D

17. <TABLE cellPadding=6 width=750><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>
    I too was reluctant to post my van a 1974 Dodge. However I think the multicolor infinite lines in the center panel is as "traditional" as it comes so I think it is appropriate here. Pic was taken the day I sold it in the fall of '75. I had already taken of the Chrome Smoothies with Mickey Thompson Indy Profile tires. Checkout those whorehouse curtains too. Believe it or not my mom stitched those for me. Of course the interior was 1" shag carpeting. This is a scan of a 35mm slide and the guy that scanned it for me did it bass ackwards so it looks like the passenger doors are on the driver side.

[​IMG]

</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left></TD></TR><TR><TD class=smallfont align=left>

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=smallfont align=middle>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=6 width=750><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

18. dude that island web site is amazing , if they only had video cameras then . wow white top ? anyone see that ?

19. I was a member of NOVA- (North Ohio Van Assoc) in '74 and '75. Any Old Ohio HAMBers remember them? Fred's Autobody Bedford Ohio? We caravaned to the first NSVA nationals at Bowling Green, Ky in 1975. I think we were about 25 - 30 strong.

20. 61TBird

61TBird

Where are the Interior shots>>>:D

21. All that thing needs is a wheel change, and it's perfect. A set of Cragars or Keystone Classics would look awesome.

22. neon charly

neon charly

thanks for the kind words guys. i love it. as for the interior, its gotta fully functional bed in the back, or as i like to call my "workbench". carpeted walls to keep things quiet, and a bitchin stereo to keep things motivated. the occasional bean bag is a bonus as well.

i would love to post more pics of it, but it seems that some folks here dont want that sort of thing. so i guess we will just have to leave that to your imagination.

23. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

this familiar face made a come back at our 1st sunday voodoo donut meet, and we're glad it did...
    [​IMG]

24. I dont think a couple interior shots will get this thread closed. Thay may be off topic for this message board, but not so much for this thread, if that makes any sence. If Astro/mini vans start showing up we got problems. Nice chevy by the way.

25. 65COMET

65COMET

Hot Rod Willie;maybe you remember my 69 Dodge Van,Just Trukin The Blues Away.I was Channel Islands Vans Pres ,Roy Pool . I had vans up until about 6 years ago,last one was a 75 E-150 4X4,brown,6" lift,that I built. ROY.

26. bluesmoke

bluesmoke

not mine but pretty cool!

Attached Files:

27. fuzzy bunny

fuzzy bunny

Nice Picture, Im going to steal it! :D

28. J CRUZ

J CRUZ

Hey Neon Charley,
    Go here if you havent already.
    www.vannin.com
    It's pretty much the only van site to go to. Everyone on there is super helpful and polite. Great site for parts etc.

29. neon charly

neon charly

j cruz,

thanks for the link and suggestion! i have joined their forums already tho. but your right, alot of great helpful folks there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.