Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drum brakes missing E-Brake parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ctfortner, Oct 26, 2009.

1. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

I have a 9" rear '57 from my investigations, small bearing I know for sure. Didnt come with brakes or backing plates. had a thread a while back about using brakes from an 8" rear, offsets and crazyness, wanted to find correct brakes.

I found a local guy selling a set off his early 9" small bearing.

I was installing them this weekend and realized, all components for the ebrake are missing. I called and asked him if he had them, he said you got everything with it that was removed....said he never had an ebrake on his car. Just my damn luck. I thought maybe I could use the parts from the 8" rear brakes (which are also 10"), the park brake strut dont seem to fit right, too short, so they must be different.

the brakes I bought are 10" x 2". Can I just get parts from the yard from any ol 9" rear, or would the parts be different depending on big bearing, small bearing, different years, etc..?

I dont know for sure what all is missing (dont have diagram for 9"), but I know I dont have the parking brake lever (that sits behind the shoe), and I dont have the parking brake strut and spring.

Anyone say for sure if this is all that is needed for the ebrake, and how easy it would be to source at a yard or parts store?

thanks!

2. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

Try the evening crowd... Am I S. O. L. for finding 9" small bearing parking brake hardware?

3. atch

atch

sorry; i don't have your answer. BUT this'll get it back up to the first page again. at least for 5-10 minutes

4. hit the local library for a manual with a exploded diagram or you might find one on sacramento vintage ford website. maybe dennis carpenter. google 9" ford and see what pops up?

5. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

The local Car Quest in my town carries all that stuff ... new

6. I don't see any P- brake stuff in that pic, are you sure about carquest having these doodads (on eBay now)?

[​IMG]

I am in the same predicament with the 8" stuff.

ctfortner, you want to sell me your 8" stuff?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  7. hi crush has the right piture of what is needed check the bone yards as most rear end,s are sold for the center section,they dont care about the brake parts

8. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

Deuce, your pic looks just like my brakes, NO parking brake hardware....DOH!

I have checked napa, advance, autozone, etc...noone seems to have these parts

I saw that exact auction on ebay crush, but I dont know if different size brakes matter as to whether these will fit mine...The ebay auction is for 11x2-1/2, and mine are 10x2. My rear is small bearing, the auction doesnt say about this one. So, are they the same?

There are plenty of 9's in the yards, all newer style big bearings....will these parts interchange with the older small bearing brakes?

9. Try Curries.

They get a lot of 9" axles in and may have the hardware you need.

I think the 28 spline 9" in my six cylinder 1962 Ford wagon may have had small bearings and if you could find one - or similar - it may have what you need.

There are three E-brake crossbar styles that I know of.
    Not sure about the swinging part the E-brake cable end connects to.

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I got some ford rear end brake parts laying around..I'll take a look tonight see what I've got.
    I just got done rebuilding a set for my project..
    I bought 2 (off Hambers) that i was able to piece together a complete set up (check out my pictures)
    i think the e-brake stuff is the same for the 9" as it is for the 8" but dont quote me on that..
    but i do know how they are set up is the same..
    If i got anything i think you can use I'll PM ya.

these are 10x2 also

[​IMG]

11. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

great, let me know. I have 2 sets of 8" rear 10x2 complete brakes, so if the hardware is the same for the small bearing 9" 10x2 brakes, I have what I need. I didnt try the pbrake levers behind the shoes, but the bar (under wheel cyl) seemed to be too short to fit correctly. I didnt install the spring when I tested it though, gonna check it again tonight.

I would think that 10x2 brakes whether 8" rear or 9" rear would interchange, but who knows.

I contacted a brake seller from the bay that sells complete drum kits for the small bearing 9", they want $400 for a whole set. WOW. He claims the pbrake hardware for the small bearing 9 is RARE and wants $150 just for that hardware. Dont think so....I would go disc before doing that.

Wait a minute...it just dawned on me from seeing your pics Vonn... I said the brake bar was too short, but the brake bar attaches to the pbrake lever (that sits behind the shoe). I didnt have that installed when I set the bar in there, that WOULD make it too short, maybe there is hope yet.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm pretty sure the diameter of the drum is a factor. I know you need to specify the drum dia. to get the correct self adjuster cable. I would think that the spreader bar is affected by the dia. and possibly the lever.

13. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

Ok, so if that is correct, if both drums have the diameter stamped on them, and they are the same, good to go, if not, may not work? Makes sense that way. I know the 9" rear brakes I have had the stamp, 10.060 i think it was. Not sure what the 8" rear drums I have are stamped with.

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

oooo 400 bucks owch..
    yeah i knew they were getting big bucks for this stuff thats why i cleaned up what i had and what i got from others and put together a complete set up.

I may have another set of the Pbrake arms..i hope laying around.

i think with 10x 2 brakes its the same stuff..but your backing plates for the big or small bearing 9" will be different mostly due to bearing hole and how they bolt up to the axle (bolt pattern)

gimme a day or two to dig thru some boxes and stuff..i dont usually throw shtuff like this out..

I may have at least one set ..bar and e-brake lever..

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

same 10.060 is the max dia. they can be turned to..mine has the exact same tollerances

new drum should be 10.00 or very close to that..be careful because one of my new drums was undersized by .028..it wouldnt go on. so i had to beat it back off and return it

if you need new drums ..some day or now you can use a 10x2 from the ranger pick up truck..not the little mid size truck ..back when the full size truck was named ranger..I'll give you a drum number

8923 a carquest number

16. svo

svo

Hey, I had the same problem with my 8" back when I was building mine.
    It took me a while to find where to get them.

This place should have what you need.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/CEStore/8inford.aspx

The springs, you can get from a local auto parts store.

17. Man, 10 x 2 drums use the same hardware on 8 or 9 inch rear ends- be careful though- most 8 inchers have 9.500 drums. you can probably get most of your parts new at any NAPA store and most of the cheapies in their HELP parts sections.

18. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

How can I tell on the drums, if its unreadable, if it is a 10.060?

Crap yall been talking about currie, i kept going there and overlooking it somehow. This is what I need

Description: These are the parking brake arms out of the 8" and 9" Ford style 10" drum brakes. They are reconditioned original Ford pieces for use as replacements for damaged or missing arms. Sold as a pair.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/CEStore/productsRE.aspx?id=2939 Its $10 for the pair

[​IMG]

So I will try the ones I have, if no go, currie here i come. Thanks all!

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yup..those be the ones..
    hell i would use the ones you have out of your 8" set ups..clean um up and run em.

oh and on your drum issue..its stamped on the upper edge of the drum face..the 10.060..clean it up real good with a wire brush...im certain thats what you got

they will probably have that 8923 number stamped on them too..really the numbers arnt stamped..they are cast into the front edge of the drum out on the outer diameter of the face ( the face that the wheel bolts flat to)

20. Motorsports One

Motorsports One

I had the same problem. Check my thread from a little while ago, with diagram. I found the parts at BobsF100.com, they were very helpful and shipped them quickly.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397343

21. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

Awesome...I got 2 shots at it, since i got 2 full sets to choose from...If one is right, i will RUN EM!

Thanks motorsports, will check it out

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

want me to hold off digging for my stuff?

23. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

Yes sir, you can hold off. I looked everything over, both drums were 10.060 and everything pretty much looked the same. So, i pulled the parking brake hardware from the 8" rear, installed on the 9" rear no problem, all fit just right. Installed the backing plates and axles in the 9", she is ready for install. Thanks for the help and offers everyone.

24. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Great!
    glad to help

25. Johnny P.

Johnny P.
    from Dallas, TX

Just wanted to say that it is great to have this site.

I am rebuilding a '74 Maverick rear brake and e brake for my hot rod.

I was able to get most items at my local NAPA.

However, the e brake lever and cables were obtained from Currie Enterprises in CA.
    714-367-2676
    I had a hell of a time finding the spreader bar spring and only found it in a complete kit.

If anyone is looking for a spreader bar spring only, call the guys at Bob's F-100 in Riverside CA 951-681-1956
    He orders various ones direct from manufacturer.

I wanted to leave this information to save the next person some time and trouble finding these parts.

26. Domino

Domino

27. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Nice pics..I'll use them tomorrow when I put my 8" back together

28. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

thanks for the info I may get new springs mine seem a bit wore out.