Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering arm, is this safe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Turkey, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

I have had several hamers mention that I need to improve my steering arm on my 32 coupe build. By all means please give your 2 cent here as this is all new to me. I believe their concern was with the front arm at the wheel.
    [​IMG]
    This is a speedway part and looks strong to me, what have you guys used or how have you improved this design? Thanks.

2. There's many different desings to do this job, but this style has been in the market for about 55 years and seems to do just fine.

3. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I don't like the looks of that weld.

4. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

I have the same one and will be adding a gusset and finishing the weld around the bung.

Norton

5. Fenders

Fenders

That ain't going nowhere.
    Might have to put a right angle grease fitting on the upper spindle bearing though.

6. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

I had one on my 32 tudor, it broke at the weld last summer, in a parking lot, as I was turning in...(at least it broke in a good place), my son was going to drive it to Mpls that evening. I repaced the arm completely with a heav y "slingshot looking" style. I would at least add a gusset by the weld point. The car had about 20,000 miles on it, across country, so it worked well for a while.

7. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

I'm using the same steering arm on my 'A'.Once I've set the steering geometry,I'm adding a stiffening plate,probably drilled for looks.That way,I can fully weld around the boss.

8. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Good eye, that's a must!

9. I have used that very arm on two different builds, a 27 with a 455 Olds and a Model A coupe with a SBC. Neither one has had a problem with over 20,000 miles on each

10. billygoat67

billygoat67

my thought is you can't make anything to strong. add a gusset at least. i would because these are probably welded by some 10year old boy in china not a proud skilled american worker.
    thats my 10 cents.

11. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

Check your other thread

12. Racrdad

Racrdad

Probably wont break but a 32 sure does deserve something nicer that a $20 steering arm. I think speedway has a nicer more sturdy one for about $40 or so. Probably would be a huge improvement for a relatively low amount of $.

13. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

14. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

What's nicer about them? :confused::confused: I think the hairpin looks better... If it worries you, just weld a gusset plate in the one you have and use it. I had an ungusseted one on my '34 pickup for 15k hard miles with no problem at all...

15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

JMO, I would put a gusset behind it. Won't cost much and give you peace of mind. Lippy

16. Ruiner

Ruiner

I'd go with the solid arm, those Speedway circle track flat plate and bent tubing arms are freaking dangerous...there's a reason steering components from manufacturers are forged, and not cheap bent tubing pieces of shit with half finished welds...

17. Anderson

Anderson

Just plate it in. It will be fine.

Attached Files:

18. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

I dig yours, by the way where did you get those spindle caps?

19. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

So long as the weld is sound, that steering arm will take more load than the old spherical stud joint attached to it.

The weld is the only variable there, and that pic isn't detailed enough in that area to tell one way or the other.

If it looks crummy, redo the weld and stick a small gusset behind it to get some weld all the way around it.

If it looks good, run it and quit worrying.

20. Fogger

Fogger

I agree that the part you have should be gusseted. SuperBell makes a forged steering arm that would be a better piece that the Speedway part you have. The FOGGER

21. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If not adding a gusset,I'd finish welding around the bung. I plan on using the same steering set up(drag link,etc) on my current Deuce project. Good look.

22. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

I like that one! Thanks for all the input.
    [​IMG]