Register now to get rid of these ads!

CHRR cacklefest comments

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by applekrate, Oct 24, 2009.

1. I know others have been posting on the Reunion and the Cacklefest but, i wanted to start this thread showing something that happened.
    First I posted this earlier in the week on another message board and is applicable here too...

"alright, I do not expect everyone to agree with me but, I thought the lead up to the Cacklefest was waaaaaay to freeakin' long.

It seemed like anything they could throw in there, they could. The crowd was in place, the money was made. Why not just put on the damn show??

No, they had to have a late model jet car make a pass and then, believe it or not, an injected gasser making a single pass? at Cacklefest?

These cars do not Cackle. Nitro cars cackle. That is all there should be. There had to be 80 or so real nitro cars. that is plenty. Why all the filler?

Once it finally started, it went pretty well. One of the guys mikes kept cutting out at the most important times , while saying the persons names. One car 'banged' right in front of the stands. Not sure if it was a rod or a burst panel ( if they even have them). Which reminds me, that could have killed someone if it would have hydralicked (sp).

I respect all of the work and history in all the cars that were there but, REALLY, a Cacklefest should be for NITRO cars ONLY!

Let the gassers and alky deals have their own time elsewhere. It just dilutes the REAL show, the Fuelers!

OR, maybe they will add a circus act to next years show? What else is left?"

What I have just learned that there was indeed an explosion as one of the AA/Fueler hydralicked and blew the side out of the 392 right in front of the stands. I witnessed part of this but only after I heard the noise. I did not see the fireball. I must have been looking at the car in front of it as I was closer to the start line.
    I am sorry to see someone was hurt. It could have been worse.
    I love the Reunion, it is my favorite event of the year, sorry to see this.
    Scary shit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzED-4tp3BE

Steve

Hosting-
    Pontiac/Buick/Olds FALL FEST Sat Nov 28, 2009 Phoenix
    www.pbofallfest.org
    8th annual Nostalgic Show & Go! April 11, 2010 Phoenix
    www.nostalgicshowandgo.org

2. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

I was standing 10 feet from the car when this happened. The car would not fire and stopped right in front of the stands. I heard the NHRA guy tell the push car to push the car down the return road and to get moving. They started to push and then the dragster dun blowed up.

Scary deal.

3. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

That guy is lucky. He could have lost an eye if there was aluminum or cast iron flying that way. I guess when they started to push again, the clutch must have been out and the mag on. Then fired bam? I dont know anything about Nitro but that is what it looks like to me. I would pass on that souvenier. Do they push and fire those cars along that fence with the people all standing there?

4. nite-flyer

nite-flyer

Its great seeing and hearing the restored GREAT fuel cars from the past but it has grown so much its a little boreing. I would rather go to the pits want watch a fuel car like Harris, High Speed or Brendan Murry warm up. Its twice the rush!

5. Spike!

Spike!

Cackling is gay. Run the damn things down the quarter mile. It's like going to a whore house for a kiss..

Spike

6. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

In my opinion it has got way too many cars , is taking waaaaay too long to do & is indeed boring. When they first did the cackle there were about 20 cars, ALL push started, all REAL cars, there would be 4-5 running on the track with others running down the return road , the noise & smell was terrific a real delight for the senses .Now there are gassers on a rope FFS non running display car BS etc etc . We didn't even stay when I heard how many "cacklefest " cars they had I knew the circus was in town . Please get back to how it was QUALITY NOT QUANTITY.

My 2c.

7. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

BTW Cackling isn't gay , when done as it was it was a spectacle & one not to be missed seeing/hearing/smelling the cars being push started & running on the track is something people never forget , the packed standing room only bleachers testify to that.There are less people now that they diluted it though.

8. M.Edell

M.Edell

:Re the "Cackling is Gay" comment.That's a rude and Bold statement to make on this board!
    But one thing I do agree on, is that it would be very cool to see some of these cars do at the very least a Burn out or an 1/8th Mile Blast.
    I personally like to see all sorts of Race cars from the 50's and 60's, but there's only so much you can do in one night.They should have a seperate night for all other non cackling cars maybe? I personally would LOVE to see more Gassers and Super Stockers.

9. budd

budd

anyone think there's going to be a law suite? it's sad to say but it would be strange if there wasen't, wouldn' say it's gay but it is so lame that you can't run these cars or any car you want down a track, so long as if the car did leave the track no one could be hurt you should be allowed to run a nitro car sitting in the open on a milk crate.

10. holy crap! thats crazy.

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

And there's that word. LAWSUIT. Look, I don't like someone getting hurt or killed, but if you go to events like this and rush to get as close as possible to the "action", you take the damn risk.

Maybe they need a higher fence. Maybe the stands need to be further back. Maybe everyone should wear a flack jacket and face mask. Maybe this, maybe that. There is only so much that can be done, but the some of the responsibility should also fall on the spectator. Hell these cars are running on what has got to be the most explosive fuel for a car. Things are gonna happen.

I bet if you asked that guy why he was up front, he'd say he wanted to get the "real" experience. Well, unfortunately, he kinda did. There's a reason why tickets to stuff like this do or should have that little disclaimer on the back.

Again, glad he didn't get hurt bad.

12. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

This is why you always back down the engine b4 starting.

13. M.Edell

M.Edell

I believe the track itself carries a huge amount of insurance....Kinda Ironic that AAA Auto Club pretty much finances Famoso..

14. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

We're probably lucky that they cackle these cars. They were built when 392 (and 426) parts were plentiful and (somewhat) cheap and if they blew then they blew. Tires were different and the track surface was different. If they tried to banzai-run these cars today they'd wind up breaking them--a lot, just like the old days--and someone would undoubtedly get hurt, as we see in that video. Then, of course, there's the liability issue. People have always sued, that's nothing new, but today it's a hell of a lot more costly to insure these things. If you want to see a full pass then go to a modern NHRA big event and watch the TFs and FCs make full passes.

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

we didn't even stay for the Cacklefest part. we were leaving for a 4 hour drive Sat night and figured it wasn't worth it though we've done it before. I figure if we were staying over saturday night we would have endured the boring parts to see the cars.

been 4 times and stayed for 3 cackles.

way too much boredom while people talk on the P.A. and you can't understand what they are saying or see who they are talking about.

16. M.Edell

M.Edell

"way too much boredom while people talk on the P.A. and you can't understand what they are saying or see who they are talking about."
    AMEN TO THAT!!

17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I love the cackle cars. It's history. Nothing sounds as nice as a early model hemi on a large dose. The incident with the engine is unfortunate. I'm sure the engine was backed down and cleared before the push start. After it would not fire and stopped the mag was probably on, the cyls were wet from the push and the nozzles were dripping while they sat there. The official should have given them time to collect their thoughts. Probably told the push truck guy to get it out of there, driver was not ready...mag fired...boom. Nitro is like a rattlesnake under a bush. It will not tolerate ignorance or being pushed. There are things you can do and absolutely things you can't! I have hydrauliced one and it is quick and sure. just like a snake bite and no warning. Sorry someone got hurt. When something like a no-fire happens...THAT'S WHEN YOU TREAT IT LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT. Cause it does. My brother has a scar on his stomach and we have a lot of broken engine parts. When it's running you have no problem, it's when it's sitting there dead is when you better check it good. thankyou for your time. Lippy:D

18. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Looks like someone forgot the most important Cardinal Rule most racers learn from day One..

When something goes wrong or changes.. Push the Clutch in.

It should be an automatic reaction.. like breathing.

----------

Now, that said.. I realize it all happens very fast. I've pushed fuel cars, and been pushed in Sprinters and all kinds of other race cars.. Shit happens fast!

The biggest problem in this case is the official leaning in the window a screaming GO GO GO! That doesn't help a damn thing! :mad: All those cars have brakes. They can shove the clutch in and use them. They do every time they stop.. ;-)

That guy driving the push car knows there are cars coming behind him! Shut up and let him, and the driver work as a team and get that car rolling again safely..

Anyone that has been involved with Fuel cars, and pushing them will tell ya, Shit can go wrong in a hurry during fireing! I hate to see it, but maybe it'll get some guys that wanna jump in wallet first PAY ATTENTION! (That's not intended toward the fella's in the video!)

We get the same thing in Vintage Indy car and Open wheel restoration..
    Guys don't realize how vicious these machines are.

again, sorry to see it happen, hope cooler heads prevail and there are no lawsuits towards the car owners, engine builder, chassis builder, and so on.. cause we all know a lawsuit against the NHRA's not gonna fly. (it's not there first day!) :cool:

19. At Bowling Green the cars are pushed down to starting line from the top end ON THE TRACK. This puts the actual firing of the cars in the 1/4 mile traps and well away from the spectators. Look for NHRA's Steve Gibbs to change the CHRR procedure to the Bowling Green system in 2010.

First rule of a law suite is to go after the deepest pockets first.

20. Fenders

Fenders

"It could have been worse."

I hate this saying.
    Everything could be worse... 10 people injured... twenty people died... 500 people burned to death.....slowly........
    Unless the whole F'n world blew up.

From reading his post I think tfeverfred would understand this...............

21. Hmmm, opinions! They are kinda like assholes. Everyone has one and most stink. A few words & maybe some rules to go by.

For the spectators:
    1) You don't like the cacklefest? Don't go.
    2) You don't like the cars from the 60's because they are boring? Don't go.
    3) Read your ticket. It clearly states "Drag Racing is Dangerous". Don't want to be in a dangerous area? Don't go.
    4) Race the cars? You have no idea what your saying. These cars ran in a different time, under different concepts, on completely different tracks with totally different equipment such as clutches, tires, safety gear, etc. They were only dangerous back "in-the-day", but they would be suicide machines today. Race them? No way.

For the cacklfest guys:
    1) You have to be shitting me guys? Re-push after a no start without backing it down, checking it out? It didn't start the first time for a reason. Remember the drivers meeting when they said "if it does not start right off, immediately GIVE IT UP. They said it for a reason. Now you know what reason.
    2) Maybe, just maybe, as MOST ALL OF US who run these things know: 100% nitro + a cold evening + no heat in the engine can, and many times does = NO START. Did you start it up just prior to the cacklefest to build some heat? Did you go beyond 95% nitro? Did you give it a healthy drink of gas before the push? Gas starts up much faster than cold nitro.
    3) Did this accident, I believe caused by sheer stupidity by people who absolutely know better, but let their "macho" get in the way, begin a chain reaction that we ALL will be sorry for? People, that reaction has already begun, and it isn't good. NHRA (Steve Gibbs) has announced to all the cacklefest cars some coming changes already, some good ones you will like, but they have also hinted at several bad ones that we will all hate. Thanks alot.

22. Joe King

Joe King

I saw a cacklefest once and glad I did but I'm probably not going to see one again, with out them running......

23. riceman

riceman

You hit it right on the head BEEP. Did you prefer the Bowling Green Cacklefest way to fire up vs. the CHRR ?

24. afan

afan
    from michigan

what beep said!! why go the driver meeting i know every thing. isn't what happen when ivo taged garlits at columbus. maybe if garlits and other drivers AND push car drivers would go to the meetings and listen to steve gibbs .
    i was pushing "THE PROBE" at columbus and it didn't start and we went under the tower just like we were told to at the drivers meeting and the crashed ivo car pulled up next to us.
    these aren't toys

25. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Beep and Afan are dead on!

26. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

I agree with beep also, i was there and i think the cars should be fired away from the crowd. Thats how its done at bowling green. And i think there should be a max on cars in the event. Popping the motors off right in front of the stands is not to smart. I do love the show, been to 6 of them now, and goinng to bg next year, its a great event, just everybody has to use there head.

27. The cacklefest is an awesome spectacle, I love it! It's the parade that drags on and pisses people off.

28. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

The guy that told the Anaconda car to keep going was an NHRA PR guy and the push car driver should have known better, but, did not.

Looks like a full checkout system will be set in place for all participants in any static or push start fireups.

As for Nitro only, would you kick out the twin engine Freight Train? It is a Gas Car.
    The Jet Car was flat out stupid and will not happen again. Apparently the Jet Car offered to run for free but it was a clusterfuck.

Trust me, changes are coming.

29. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Honesty iv never been to impressed by the fest. They need to find a way to runum- get the seats closer and fix the fucked up PA.