Register now to get rid of these ads!

1930 model a tuder progress

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by odins701, Oct 25, 2009.

1. odins701

odins701

Well guys, i got the mock up done and it is all torn down. finished the welding on the frame and got it primed yesterday. Finish sanding and top coat todal! :D
    Here are some pics. :cool:

Attached Files:

2. odins701

odins701

more

Attached Files:

3. odins701

odins701

few more

Attached Files:

4. odins701

odins701

hope to have a painted rolling chasis by next week end.

Attached Files:

5. hscott

hscott

Nice start always fun to see frame and every thing come together, you know that backing plate are upside down on rearend, but you probly have to tear them apart if not already rebuilt. good luck Scott

6. odins701

odins701

i was about to start jumping up and down but after looking again the backing are correct. Flatlanders rebuilt it for me with a posi clutch set up in it. if you look again the bleeders (wich have a hose on them) are up same as the vent tube. the shock mounts are on the bottom. ;)

7. odins701

odins701

has anyone noticed the extension on the back of the frame?

because i am using a FI motor, i can't use saddle bag fuel tanks (acording to the manufacture) and with the tank inside behind the rear seat, there is very little room to sit back there. So my idea was to make a rear luggage rack and mount an old trunk on it. i'll hide the gas tank in that. I found an old truck on craigs list, made of wood and wrapped on copper or tin with wood strips as trim. the top has a nice curve in bothe directions in it. It has been painted over. i havent started researching on what to use to strip it but i would quess that aircraft paint stripper would work good with out taking away from the thin metal.

I plan on decking the extension with teak or something good for outdoors.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  8. looks great , but don't you think those ladder bars are a bit long? the second one from the left leaning against your workbench must be at least 6 feet long

[​IMG]

9. hscott

hscott

My bad, saw hole at glance thought that was where brake cylinder, why because my dumbass did it before.:D

10. odins701

odins701

:D That is an optical illusion since i'm standing so close with the camera. They are alll actually hanging from wire about 4 foot off the floor. looking at the ones further away is getting close to the actual size.;)

11. odins701

odins701

lol

12. odins701

odins701

Well off to do some sanding and hopefully have the top coat on this afternoon. very excited here but i am keeping it in check so as not to get in a hurry. i hope to have a finished rolling chasis by next weekend and then start on the body work. yehaaa!!

13. odins701

odins701

Well i got the frame all painted and put together. Ran the brake the brake lines yesterday. Time for a garage clean up! :D

Attached Files:

14. odins701

odins701

and a few more pics.

Attached Files:

15. odins701

odins701

a little rework on the brake lines and rolling the frame out and started osho on the body.

Attached Files:

16. odins701

odins701

a few more pics

Attached Files:

17. odins701

odins701

maybe be useing this to go x-mas shopping! the plan is to be ready by spring....but maybe!! :)

18. enginebloch

enginebloch
    from norfolk va

Looks good. I'm stoked for you.

19. Hey man! Whatcha' think?

Check out the intake idea I have to start with for you.[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  20. 31SedanMan

31SedanMan

I was interested to see if you had any pictures of your "tank in the trunk". I have a '31 Tudor (fenderless) with the tank in the car and I'm considering moving it. I want to stick a RCI 15 gal fuel cell in a hand built luggage trunk out back. I found some direction for the trunk build in this article. Thought about a '32 tank but my car has a little too low of a stance.

http://www.mafca.com/downloads/Technical/Trunk_Lewis.pdf

21. odins701

odins701

I like that! That's really cool! probably wont have room for cone shape filters, something straight in size and maybe flattened oval shape for clearance. and maybe rolling down each side so that it kinda hugs the motor and clearing the outside hood edges. here is what its looking like:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well i haven't found a trunk big enough and actually i decided to put it inside behind the rear seat. I was going with extending the frame out and deck it. My thought was it would be better protected. Makes the car so long though. I did it as an after thought and i was off on measurements.. oops. found out when i had to put the body back on for space, so I've wracked off. i could build it back out with the body on but not sure now.
    If I were to do it, I think I'd want something sturdier than that Lewis Trunk mount, like some frame work around it. I really think its a cool idea and i'm digging those trunk build instructions.:D

22. odins701

odins701

Mocking up some.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Damn man thats looking great! I need to shoot past again. Unfortunately I have a crazy busy schedule for the next month or so! Doh!

Ill try to keep up with ya here and there.... Looking good though!!!

24. odins701

odins701

Always happy to see you stop by! :D