Register now to get rid of these ads!

**EXOTA's** New Look - 1955 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrs chaotic, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrs chaotic

mrs chaotic
    from ----

Chaotic Customs had the honor of giving Exota a fresh new look. After 15+ years of being on the show circuit, we refurbished the car. The owner chose to have us fix the blemishes and update the look. The airbrushed chrome strip on the side and top of the firewall (as well as the pinstriping) is done by Jason Jewett at Redhouse Custom Paint. The top color started off as a Razzberry Pearl and we tweaked it by adding more pearls to compliment the exisisting peach pearl (or pink as some say).

Ron is planning on debuting Exota at the Wichita Starbird show in January and will be at the Tulsa show.

Thought we would give the HAMB community a sneak peak!!

Attached Files:

2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

No offence beautiful quality job,but I think it looked alot better 40 or so years ago when he first customized it...

4. djmartins

djmartins

Could someone please explain to me why high end cars are painted in pastel colours?
    It has always been a big turn off to me.

regards,
    DJ

5. chaotic

chaotic

My thoughts exactly!

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I guess I'm not understanding the thread. Are these photos the start of the "refurbish", or the end? Basicly it looks like some detailing is going on but the same 'ol car from the first picture through the last??

7. retromotors

retromotors

Sorry, but that's an ugly sumbitch.

8. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

thats ugly as hell, what do you mean update the look. that looks like something from the 80's or early 90's?

9. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

Oh man...pretty car (not my style but still pretty) lots of good work but i hope you are wearing your flameproof undies 'cus there are people here that....well...you know.

10. Dare I say it? Looked better before in 1960! Every owner since then has fucked it up.

Doesn't belong here...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  11. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

See, they beat me to it while I was typing lol....

12. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Could someone post pictures of this from way back when?

Norton

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Is this from that Hot Rod magazine thread?

14. skunx1964

skunx1964

the car itself has tons of potential, but the paint job with the painted on trim and the wheels kill it. im scared to see the interior based on the steering wheel......

15. mrs chaotic

mrs chaotic
    from ----

[​IMG]
    This is how Exota looked when it came to us.

16. mrs chaotic

mrs chaotic
    from ----

[​IMG]
    The first car is Exota when Starbird originally built it. Owner bought this car in 1955 new and they started customizing it in 1958. It's gone through several transformations over the years.

17. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

what did it look like originally

wow,,that poor car just got worse and worse,,,looks like someone made some sad changes in the 80's to it

18. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

What kind of rear end is that?? I've NEVER seen this before!! Interesting!!

19. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

It really is a shame the owner didn't choose just one color that compliments the car and put the chrome bumpers back on like back when Mr Starbird first built it. By any chance is this the same owner as the monochromatic purple Merc from last week?:eek:

20. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

I agree!
    That car has lost it's charm and style over the years for sure.
    Bad bad taste!

Norton

21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

here is a pic from starbirds book. this car really needs to be restored to its original version

[​IMG]

22. Needs stone chips yes- but 'Doesn't belong here' ?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  23. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Looked a lot better the first time.

24. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

it looked better before you guys touched it

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      59.5 KB
      Views:
  25. Maybe someone should have talked the owner into returning it BACK to it's original form. I'm sure you guys have some left over purple from that Merc,LOL!!!!!

26. chaotic

chaotic

The same owner owns it today. Exota has been on this site for many years. This car is more traditional than most of the "traditional" hot rods on this site. Being designed in 1958, being rebuilt in 1960. After showing, being rebuilt in 1962. Ron Dubberstein, owner, was the first to modify it. 50 years later, he still owns it. Ron would have like to have us totally change the car and update to the newer styles with interior, wheels & tires and complete new color. But, like most of us, he doesn't have unlimited funds. Money is an issue. So we found a complimentary color, modified it to look good with the peach/pink and gave Exota a fresh look.

27. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

HAHAHAHAHA thats what I was wondering!!!

It really should have been put back to the original version. I don't understand how making it an 80's or early 90's street rod is giving it a "fresh, new look".

Awful, just awful.

28. Well I looked hard and found one thing I liked, the IRS. That pink just sucks. I guess Starbird got mixed reviews back when he did it in the day, but I think it looked cool then. Now it's an 80s lookin' easter egg colored street rod. EEEEW.:eek:

29. uh....Not really! Looked like one of those marshmellow peanuts from Halloween,HAHAHAHA!

30. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

I think its nice that its still going and all but it looks like something from the 80's or 90's. Why someone would rather paint trim on rather than go out and find the real stuff makes no sense to me. I am suprised it isn't tubbed out with billet all over the place.

But you did what the owner wanted and I guess thats all that matters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.