Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine on a lean

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob Galet, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Bob Galet

Bob Galet

I'm considering putting one of my Olds 425s on about a 20 degree tilt to one side. Any bad side effects? I thought of making a custom oil pan and moving the pump pickup.

2. matt 3083

matt 3083
    from Tucson, Az

Might want to give some thought to
    carburation. Changing plugs on the low
    side may prove to be challenging. Oil in
    the low side valve cover may present
    another sit of problems. Almost anything
    is do-ible.

3. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Why would someone want to do this ??

4. David Chandler

David Chandler

I have seen it done on stock cars back in the late 60's and early 70's. But they seemed to be doing it to make it sit level on the banked surface.

5. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I'm wondering the same thing.

Clearence issues? I would seem easier to just move whatever is in the way.

6. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Come on Bob , tell us why ????????????

7. R Pope

R Pope

Side-by-side twin engined diggers had the engines tipped over about 45 degrees. Allison and Daimler both made W24's by placing two v12's sxs at about the same angle. Like the man sez, anything is do-able. But why?

8. Oil drainback from the top end to the pan would worry me a little. Also the same for the timing chain. Has it been modified for crankshaft priority oiling? I kinda freaked when I saw 2 Olds 400s tilted away from one another in a twin engine car once. I think it had dry sumps.

9. mondtster

mondtster

Oil drainback to the pan would be my biggest concern too, especially on the low side. One thing that you might consider would be to add a hose and fitting to the valve cover in a low spot to drain the oil back to the pan if you find that you have problems with it.

I think I would also either modify or build an oil pan and pickup for an application like this.

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The Lotus 907 that i put in my roadster came in a Jensen-Healey at a 45 degree angle. It's really one side of a V8 just like the old Pontiac Tempest 4 cylinder. I stood mine up straight since that would look right in a Model A. I redid the pan to point down and moved the pickup to sit near the bottom of the pan. the oil drain backs were now below ths cam followers (twin cam 4 valve motor) so I made little stand pipes to hold the oil at it's old level. Same thing as leaning it over but the other way. Easy. No brainer. Go for it.

11. Fenders

Fenders

I seem to remember reading of six cylinder "laydown" engines turned on their side to fit in a low profile race car, they used dry sump oiling.

If I remember correctly...............

12. My slant six doesn't mind.

13. A slant 425? Sorry, I'm not buying it. You'd need to hand out press releases to anyone who sees it or repeat some bizarre justification story a zillion times.

Bob

14. Bob Galet

Bob Galet

Well I was planning on putting two of them side by side and to try and save some space tilt both of them a little.