Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs TELSTAR,,a little off the top..trimming the fins a bit, , , ,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom7777, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

there's been something bothering me about the fins for the past several months,,until now, i haven't been able to quite put my finger on what it was, , ,today it just came to me,,,,,,,the car is all about flow, not a sharp line on her,,,EXCEPT for the fins,,,,,i realized a little reshaping was in order, , , ,also by doing this, ther deck won't be so hidden..i taped out the lines, the taped part will be removed and i think it will add so much to the overall flow of the car,,,,now it flows with the wheel openings, the side trim, and the deck shape,,,,,nothing abrupt,,just flowing and smoooooth...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  2. I am really impressed by the fact that you are not at all afraid to jump back into an area and try something else. I am usually not open minded enough to "re-do" something once I think it is "done".

Keep on plugging away! I am loving the development as it unfolds!

3. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

its all about improving the car,,if you stand back and look at the car and say "i could have done this or that better", you're NOT done , , , :);)

4. Do you ever sleep ahhaha
    Looks great but, I am just not sold on the 'second' fins drop to the tail light, I think it needs a small radius to blend into the tail light and tie in the sweep of the feature under the tail light...........does that mae sense at all?

5. MEMPHIS RAT

MEMPHIS RAT
    BANNED

i wonder what your daily driver looks like.....ahaha

nuice, i like the flow of the lines, plus it help with the curves....

luke

6. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

lol,,ill sleep when the car is done
    there is no second fin,,,the tape represents what will be cut off,,

7. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

great stuff!!! cant wait to see this when its done! very friggin impressive!!!!!!

8. ELD

ELD

I'm sure what you cut off will be reused! This does add more to the flow, the fins looked great, until you made the changes to the front end. you should try your hand at sculpture..haha

9. Ah now i understand, sorry I just got up.....such a retard!!!!
    So your going for the 60 Mopar look to the fins.....very cool.

10. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

the forward look!!,,,,,well, i don't have any mopar parts on the car,,,might as well....lolol

11. It's cool that you aren't afraid to undo and redo until you get it exactly the way you want...some of us get in a hurry and compromise the vision....especially when it's evolving as yours has...

12. DrJ

DrJ

Since you're still at the masking tape stage, may I suggest you follow the same kind of contour as the trunk lid?
    Round it off with a bit tighter radius at the top then follow the angle of that short area between the tail light pods.

I'm digin' it so far !!!! :cool:

13. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

its kinda hard to see in the pics, but it does follow the contour of the deck,,,i think that definitely softens the lines and makes it more pleasing to the eye,,

14. I looked at this and said "Nooo!".

Then I looked again and thought..... "yeah....I can dig it." Sort of a proto-fin from about `54/`55.

I little like this NSU...

[​IMG]

15. Man those tail lights are cool.^^^^^

16. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

the bumper is cool as shit as well

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

yeah... cut it off and redo it. then next week weld something else on and cut that off. eventually the car will be a bunch of one inch squares all welded together.

18. I'm liking the cut down fin better too. But also picturing more of a concave fin like the the sides of 59/60 chevs or 60 ford. A concave feature stating on the side and then up to the fin peak and concave again flowing to the trunk.

19. ratster

ratster

the fins look lower then the front fenders now, i'm not sure. are you gonna fill the cut-out in the doors?

20. Shame that car is only about half as wide as Telstar!

21. thank-you thank-you thank-you...much better, was hoping for that!!

22. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

lol....glad to oblige,,,,:D

23. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

If it was me, I'd keep the fins...

24. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i am keeping the fins,,,just a little reshaping for better flow..

25. VanHorton

VanHorton

Jim this is beyond a car... its is a piece of art! seriously the way you pay attention to details and the overall impact of the car, you are more of a painter than anything! hahaha... i love this thing and cant wait to see it on the road, even if its not for a long time because it will be sooo perfect dude...

26. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, I see that, but I still like them before the tape re-shape. Regardless, its a freakin beautiful car. Really nice work.,,and lots of it!

27. chaotic

chaotic

I think it will be cool. Have you done it? Got some pics?

28. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

workin on it now, , , may be a while

29. Like that would stop him, lol!

30. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Ever since you went with the Olds tailights, I always pictured the car without the fin. I would just blur my eyes and fuzz them out. Glad to see we think alike. I really dig.