Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Good question for Wynn's #1.

2. MIDGET-RACER18

MIDGET-RACER18

yes it was the car van gurly had,we traded our midget for it,it was blue in 76 and white in 77,bruce doesnt know where its at and my dad(bud) passed away in june

3. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I have spacers but I cannot space the left out far enough and the right hangs out To far for me visually. I really need to find a taper axle rear

4. MIDGET-RACER18

MIDGET-RACER18

what yr of a car do you have, the splined axles are for 65" cars from like mid to late 80s on

5. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

My car is a 60's edmunds copy. I am building it from pretty much the ground up. The rear fits and everything works out it just looks to modern and out of place.

6. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I grew up in that area and spent a lot of time at the Central Pa sprint tracks but never heard of a sprinter from Binghamton. There were a few from Elmira and Dundee. Vern and Bryon Osgood each had one as well as Ken Townsend and Bob Shaw. I would check with Lynn Paxton at http://www.emmr.org/ . He should know.

7. Crudbro

Crudbro

Back on post #5880, Steve E. requested any photos of midget driver Donald Switzer of Indianapolis. This clipping reports Switzer's death at the Portsmouth Speedway in 1954. I live very near this now closed track. I believe Switzer's death was the only fatality during the speedway's 10 year existance.

Attached Files:

8. MIDGET-RACER18

MIDGET-RACER18

yes than you will need a tapered axle,i measured mine on my 73 edmunds and its 48" and my 90 edmunds has a 53" splined axle

9. Jerracer

Jerracer

I dug out that painting done by Paul Knierim back in 63 and posted some pics of it.
    Funny story- He came by my shop back in 2000 and couldn't remember doing it.
    My dad won it as a door prize at the 63 CRA banquet.

Attached Files:

10. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I guess I need a taper rear end. Anybody have one?

11. Rootsgroup

Rootsgroup
    from Indiana

I'm with ya-- Sounds like your axle may end up looking out of place (way newer looking than the rest of the car).

If you were thinking that using a current driveline would be to your liking, you might investigate A TQ axle. We ran a Winters full midget rear in a TQ but with a shorter axle. It was 3", used all the same spacers and so on. It's a common thing on TQ's these days.

Another option might be the Acro if your not giong to run a lot of power.
    A real popular TQ axle, and tapered ends, possibly more vintage looking.

http://www.acroeng.com/

12. Why not post this on the Friday Art Thread?

13. Jerracer

Jerracer

Thought it would be relevant to this thread being 60's champ dirt cars. Sorry to have broken any rules.

14. No No No!! It is extremely relevant to this thread. I just thought the cats on the Friday Art Show thread would love to see it and your explanation. I meant that to be in addition to this thread. Sorry for not being more explicit in my suggestion. Rules? There are no rules broken and even if there were it sure would not be me pointing it out. If you haven't you may want to post it on the other thread also. :eek: :D

15. We all loved the post, rarely do we get to see such kinds of work that represents our corner.

Thank you.

16. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

I dearly love the history, but the car builders after they find an answer, need to take it off line. Personally I don't care about splines or evans Denver steering units, this was a thread about sprint cars, the drivers and such before 1969. Corngrower can nullify this post, but the technicalities dont help.

Just this new guy's opinion.

thanks

17. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Sorry to hear about Bud when it happened. The car looked good running around Joliet...sesco sounded great. I'll ask around about the stapp.

18. MIDGET-RACER18

MIDGET-RACER18

i remember when we sold the car,i believe it went down towards louisville,ky.
    i was told there was a gentleman on here that may have driven the car after we got rid of it

19. MIDGET-RACER18

MIDGET-RACER18

more photos from the car im looking for

Attached Files:

20. Jerracer

Jerracer

Guess I misunderstood. I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. Like I said in a previous post, I grew up looking at that painting and it inspired me to learn the craft (lettering).

21. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

This was in "corngrowers" introduction to this post. Gather to swap stories, get info, and give Info when asked. NOTE get info, and give info. I believe that would include vintage race car restorers questions. This is great post for those that are restoring vintage race cars as well as those that want to hear the stories. For me I enjoy both!

My Two Cents Worth
    Blacki-Suede

22. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

He used colored pencils on the one I have....

23. Jerracer

Jerracer

Looks like he used colored pencils, ink and watercolor (for the background, trees, etc.) Which of His do you have?

24. NED FRY

NED FRY
    from iowa

Bznel--- I have several tapered axles email what measurements you need and just what you are looking for at [email protected]

25. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

back in about 1979 when I was young and stupid I attended the same church as Art Ingles (I'm sure a lot of you know who he was and can fill in the history, but the short version is he was a panel beater supreme who worked for Frank Kurtis, and oh, by the way, INVENTED the go-kart).[/QUOTE]

Racer 5c, I'm surprised you didn't bite on this post; looks like your Dad knew who Art was- he owned the Ingles-Kraft roadster.
    I know this is a bit off-topic, but it relates as Art was heavily involved in the open-wheel scene working at Kurtis-Kraft, and this car borrowed a ton from then-current KK design.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  26. Racer12

Racer12

Actually Josh we space current sprint car RR's out WAY further than the green #24 in your pic. When we start the night without the wing the RR is spaced out to 22"-23". That measurement is from the outside of the chassis to the center of the RR tire. When it is out that far you can see the entire birdcage and some of the wheel spacer. USAC has their rule but on the local Indiana tracks we can run whatever we want. Hope some of you come out to the last race of the outdoor season at Putnamville on Oct. 31st.

Bob

27. Ovalmeister

Ovalmeister

This photo is really small and I can't see much detail, just thought it may be of interest to you.
    David.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1947-TONY-BETTE...ewItemQQptZUS_SM_Fan_Shop?hash=item1e56d8c2dd

28. Jerracer

Jerracer

I tried to post over there. Got a message saying I didn't have permission.

29. Racer 5c, I'm surprised you didn't bite on this post; looks like your Dad knew who Art was- he owned the Ingles-Kraft roadster.
    I know this is a bit off-topic, but it relates as Art was heavily involved in the open-wheel scene working at Kurtis-Kraft, and this car borrowed a ton from then-current KK design.
    [/QUOTE]

Some of the last work Art Ingles did ad Frank Kurtis' shop, before he left to start his kart business, was to make the hood and headers, and punch the louvers in my roadster. He was truly a master panel beater.

Attached Files:

30. I hope you don't mind but I did a copy and paste and was able to get it on there. Make sure your are logged on and not just a visitor. Visitors may not post.