Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who drives there straight axle cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stlrider, Oct 13, 2009.

1. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

built the A65-67 drove to work on the freeway everyday 70's&80's

got the pu ...6cly pwrgld...it was driven up/down little tujunga cyn rd for 20yrs ea day while i was a volunteer living at a wild animal rescue ranch

Attached Files:

2. mtrhead

mtrhead

i drive mine all the time..like it's been said..set it up right and you'll drive it anywhere..

3. Muttley

Muttley

I dont understand what the big deal is, that axle doesnt know weather its under a '55 Chevy or a Model A.

4. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Look under the front of any of the 10 million trucks that cross the usa every day, Ive never seen anything other that a straight axle.
    Simple,easy and durable as can be........................

5. colorado51

colorado51

I drove my Chevy II all over the place this summer. No long road trips, but a lot of "around town" driving.

I just avoid pot holes & rough roads (the front is a little stiff), but other than that, no problems at all!

6. skwurl

skwurl

My model a has a straight axle. I drove it from Jonesborogh to Atlanta last year. I drive it to work whenever the urge strikes. I drive it most anywhere

7. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

It's the springs, not the axle. My parallel leafs make the ride a bit stiffer than coils would be. Maybe that's a downside. The upside is the ride is (more) posative, straightforward, stable. I had a '56 Fairlane years ago and I considered the cornering characteristics 'unstable' and sloppy. Not so with straight axle with parallell leafs. "Beat you to death?" Not.

8. havi

havi

I'm working on my '62 to do the same thing. Still in the drawing stages, but I don't see a problem with the driveability. Heck, just throw a couple more pillows on the seat.

9. I just got done rebuilding the 55-59 chevy truck front axle under my 56 and it drives great!!! While we were at it I drilled 19 3/4inch holes in it. I plan on driving it to Scottsdale GoodGuys and even Delmar (less the 4:11s) Ive been driving it daily and its a blast now

Attached Files:

10. PUNK RODDER

PUNK RODDER
    from KC, MO.

I drive the snot outta mine. Drove it to a show 3 hours from home, drag raced it, turned around and headed back.
    Only time I am ever "awakened" when driving it is going over rough RR tracks or doing 65 on the highway and going over a viaduct where there is a bump in the highway. It's all about the driver and what he is willing to do to put up with the style he likes. Because of the stance of my car, it is hard to see anything 10 feet behind you in the rearview mirror. That bothers me more than anything to do with the steering or handling.
    Just make sure you set it up correctly. Lay the axle back at about an 11 degree angle before bolting it all together and it will track straighter down the road. There are a bunch of threads on here for proper set up if you are going this route. Educate yourself and do it right the first time or while you are getting beat up by the car, you will be beating yourself in the head.

[​IMG]

11. 1lowbuckrodder

1lowbuckrodder

"street driven"

Attached Files:

12. Muttley

Muttley

Who cares, you've already been there. ;) :D

13. straightaxlenova

straightaxlenova

Driven regularly, and stress tested- 1/4 mile at a time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. swilly572

swilly572

I drive mine when I can, but in Mass., the weather and road conditions are always against you.