Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pro comp bbc aluminum heads good or bad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shfifty five, Oct 21, 2009.

1. shfifty five

shfifty five
    from New Jersey

I'm planning on redoing the top end of my 402 bbc, cam, heads etc. I found a pair of pro comp aluminum heads. Yes i have heard plenty of bad things about thier products, and many things about thier sbc heads, but i never heard any bad or good about the bbc heads. Does anyone run these heads or tryed to, and what outcome did you have, and or opinion on these heads.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  2. FuelFC

FuelFC

Depends on what you are planning. Going big huffer or nitrous? Umm not so much. Small build HP have been mostly ok. Not the first choice of heads to run for long life IMHO.

Casting quality from run to run and even head to head is all over the map. Not consistent at all. Doesn't matter sb, bb, bbf, sbf,....edsel all styles have had issues.

If they are used why are they for sale? Lots of racer unloading them recently for the reasons you already know about.

If you can get em really cheap cheap well...Fast, cheap and good are not all inclusive.

3. Glen

Glen

I read another board and there are some very informative posts about those.....most of what is stated above. I ran the Brodix Race Rite on my 408 BBC and they pulled hard.....They would be great for that motor, AFR makes a nice product and I am hearing good stuff aobut the RHS but they are new to the market.

4. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

I too have seen a lot of negative on these heads but my experience with them has been just the opposite. I use and sell these BBC heads. For the money they are the best out there. I have compared them with new GM Performance heads (Edelbrock) and some Broke-dixs. The fit and finish is better on the Procomps. Darts have just terrible deck finish.

The Procomps are a bit lighter in weight than the GM, but the decks are plenty thick to withstand heavy milling or angle milling.
    All the threaded holes are heli-coiled. I have customers running .800+ lift roller cams on these and no stud or guide/seat problems. Ports are clean with very little bowl cleanup required. The GM (Edelbrock) are much worse in the bowl area.

I have not seen flow data on these heads, but one of my customers sent his pair out for "prefessional" port job and very little work was evident.

On my own heads. All I do is break the tails off the helicoils that enter the upper intake port area. Smooth all transition areas and blend the lower seat areas into the bowls. Do a check on seat size and angles with the Serdi cutter and assemble. Spring seat heights are always closer than Darts or GM.

A lot of aftermkt heads have the seats "Sunk" on one head and up higher on the other. So far all of the Procomp heads that have gone thru my shop have been right on the money. I have used and sold the Oval port and the 320 rectangle ports. GOOD STUFF!!

5. FuelFC

FuelFC

Or if you want some kind of smaller shit. I have a set of early 90's EPD's with two matched dominators, cam lifers, and the tunnel ram for it. LOL. System flows very well both air and fuel.

Guaranteed less than 4 mpg or your money back! Positively guaranteed. Avg was 3.8 on a good day in a 2250 lb car. LOL.

Seriously if you are not worried about NEW and making BIG 700+ HP there are some great deals out there. We have a ton of good engine builders on here that will have a very good variety of that type of stuff used laying around. May not be todays hot ticket but for a street strip car very good reliable parts.

6. shfifty five

shfifty five
    from New Jersey

The heads I found are brand new in the box. I know that if ya wanna go fast ya gatta spend the dough, I was just hoping that maybe by some fat chance these heads might actually be good. The other more expensive set up I was ganna go for was the Edelbrock power package 2095. Says you can make up to 540 hp. The kit goes for 2700 bucks.

7. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

Shfifty five,,buy them,,on ebay around $600.oo complete. I've had as much as $900.oo in a pair. I can port them for $200.oo.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmOc7xOLqsM

I have run several sets of ProComp Heads on the sbc's. They're very good heads especially for the money. I have a brief video of what I do when cleaning them up. I'll buy more as they are good heads regardless of those few parrots who claim to know otherwise.

8. FuelFC

FuelFC

9. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Hard to say by the photo. The old aluminum GM heads were guilty of the same failure. But, usually brought on by wrong geometry setup (binding)when using high lift cams.

I have a customer with several hundred passes on the Procomps. Well over .800 lift. Has replaced springs and a couple of rocker arms but the heads are in great shape.

10. Glen

Glen

Bob...Im sure there are lots of success stories with the Pro Comp..
    Im sure AFR and Brodix have had failures...it happens.

And in Pro Comps defense the guy trying to save a penny on Pro comp heads might be the same guy trying to run his old set of springs, his old push rods.....and not buying equipment to check installed heights.

But I think before install their heads should be inspected for proper assembly and tolerances...IE installed height, spring pressure etc.

11. shfifty five

shfifty five
    from New Jersey

Well thanks for all the input guys. I think im going to take the risk and pick up a pair and try them out. Im going to put everything new in the upper half of the engine. Ill do more research on cams and all that good stuff. Ill deffinatly update on how i make out and see what kind of success or failure i run into. Thanks again guys.

12. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I use them on my BBC blower motor have had good luck with them. They beat the cast iron boat anchors any day.

13. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

I have a set of Edelbrock's for Sale-