Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone Live in your shop??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bugsy, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

I know that you might feel like you do sometimes or maybe even your other half might accuse you of it on occasion but does anyone here actually live in their shops? I mean like one that has a living quarters or apartment or something like that built in. I'm seriously considering doing it. I've done quite a bit of research on metal building living and there's some pretty cool ideas out there. I also totally dig quonset huts too. Tons of those were used for homes and living space after the war. I think that it would be great to have everything (shop and home) all in one. Anybody here done it??

2. 2manyprojects

2manyprojects

My wife always threatens me that I'll have to be live'n at the shop. 1 of these days I might just take her up on that. Hell the beer's always cold at the shop.

3. skullhat

skullhat

i did work out of my house as a kid, it was kinda odd on the respect that you are done with what you are doing, but customers come by and such, tool trucks, etc,

i prefer to have a place to leave to, but if you are not running a business, go for it

skull

4. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Haven't done it but was just thinking about it today.

Last weekend our car club went for a cruise to the southern part of the state. At one point we stopped at an abandoned car dealership body shop to take some photos. It was a cool old, deep 3 bay building that looked deserted but still in decent shape. The building was currenlty for rent. One of the guys called on it and found it was only $600 a month.

I have to admit I thought, "If only I were single again..." and considered the possibilites of covering the windows on one of the bays and turning it into an efficiency type apartment.

I bet most guys that have the "If only I were single again..." thoughts aren't thinking about moving into an abandoned body shop at the time they think it.:D

5. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

I don't think so, at least I HOPE there's no one living in my shop. Although I do sometimes find king cobra 40 bottles, and GPC butts in there... now you got me paranoid.... I'm checking the rafters first thing in the morning...

6. synthsis

synthsis

I looked at a building back when I was in the housing market that was essentially a 3 car garage with a full living space above that was the size of an open 3 car garage above it. It needed far too much work so I passed but it was very high on my list.

7. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

i live in an apartment above my dad's shop. Good times.

8. spooler41

spooler41

I don't know if this will count or not, but my living space sits on top of 2200 sq. ft. of work space. About 1400 sq. ft. is my wifes flower and gift shop and the rest is my fab and hobby shop. I've also got a 24x 36 pole barn /3 bay garage. I need to do an addition.

Jack

9. bkap

bkap

I had a friend once who built a tall metal building that he used as a machine shop/garage for side jobs. He built a pretty cool loft as a partial living space. He didn't have a wife or girl friend but I always thought that was a great way to live.

10. havi

havi

I built my house as a ranch style with a bathroom in the corner, shop light fixtures recessed into the ceiling behind the sheetrock, 16' garage door header built into the wall, an open floor plan, and two walls to make rooms that are removeable for the day it becomes a shop....unfortunately I will likely never be able to make it a shop. That was after I got married.

When I was single, and already owned the property (and trailer house), I had plans on a metal building 36'x54'x16' high, with the back half blocked off for living quarters. The main floor would be an open kitchen/living room, and one small bath. There was to be a big picture window looking into the shop. There was to be a stairway going to an upper level for a bedroom, and another small bath directly above the downstairs bath. There would be a balcony outside overlooking the yard. The garage part would have been 16' high, plenty for a lift, and fitted with a full stereo system throughout the entire building. Simple living, garage space, popular with all the gang. But likely living single, lol.

11. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Havi..that's almost exactly the layout that I've thought of....Also..I'm single (again) and my 2 and 4 year old are game for anything!!! I better do it now!!

12. The guy that put up my metal building had a large pole building that he showed me, it had a full bar, poker table and sleeping quarters with a full bath on one side and a work area on the other. The whole thing was heated and really quite cozy, I thought if I were single thats how I would like to live.

13. I think Modernbeat lived in his shop.
    The story of his moving in party was great.

14. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

it only feels like it somedays.....

15. Berzerk

Berzerk

I have a friend who bought an old fire station that was built in the early 1900's. Double bay the entire length of the building, basement, and upstairs. He plans on converting the upstairs to his living area and keep his toys in the first floor and make the basement a gameroom. I'll take some pics sometime. The first floor still has stalls from when the horses where used. Pretty cool and lot's of potential.

16. About 30 years ago a friend had a 3500 square foot shop in Costa Mesa with about 1500 sq ft of living space. It was a pretty nice set up. We had some great parties, push all the cars out bring in the band and the kegs and take the "Bad Girls" into the living area. Hose the whole shop ou in the morning

The painter next to my current shop lives upstairs in about 300 sq ft. It always stinks of paint.

When I was finishing the Chuck Price Roadster for the 2007 GNRS, it seems like I lived in my shop for about 3 weeks, only going home to shower and slepp a couple hours.

A good friend of mine too over the old Buick Dealership in Long Beach, CA and has about 30 cars in it and a nice apartment type setup.

17. FuelFC

FuelFC

Funny you should bring this up. As now being single again. Having owned a few houses. Maintain...cut grass...worry about...

My boyhood hero an old drag racer used to live in a big apartment upstairs of his store, race shop out back, with a restaurant attached that made the best hamburgers I ever knew at the time. (And even his wife liked the living arrangements) I thought that guy had the world by the ass. He did and we laughed about it years later.

I can't replicate it but I sure as hell am gonna try to get close.

This will be my next property investment. No need for a 'real' house anymore kid grown and out and whats her name no longer a deciding factor.

I am going one of three ways all out of town a little and on a few acres at least.

1) Arena style over building with a block or tilt wall style building underneath. Saw one in Florida and was blown away at the room. Plenty of storage underneath the arena roof and out of sun.

2) Tilt wall style (think small warehouse) with large over hang eaves. same typ of deal only a little more industrial for the country.

3) Traditional steel. 80X120.

All with some carved up seperate spaces for bed and bath and one huge office for me. A 1/2 bath for the few guest who may show up.

Shop space and work area. Grilling smoking area. Hot tub. Big old sitting area porch. No lawn except where the cows are going to graze.

I want to open the power gate, open the overhead door, drive or ride into the living room, close the overhead door, shut off, walk over to fridge in my big island backed commercial style kitchen on one wall, grab a glass, get some ice out of my big ole damn icemaker fridge freezer combo bitchen thing, pour a drink of Crown, plop on the couch, pet the dog, and maybe even take a nap.

Within the next year I hope to be living the dream.

18. A buddy of mine had a very successful steel fab, erecting, crane business. He bought an old truck terminal. Sixteen doors, two levels. To gain extra space, he backed up 40ft trailers to 12 of the doors. He converted the entire basement to living quarters.
    The place already had a six head shower and meeting rooms.
    Best part was cement block walls, steel doors, and block windows.
    Place was built like a bombshelter.

19. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

I think "single" would be the key phrase here. I see no problem with it. BUT.....When you meet that perfect one:rolleyes:.... Good luck! Not giving you the business, just rootin for ya!:D

20. #### Define Live !! If I spend more time at the shop than at the house does that mean I live in the shop or the house ?? >>>>.

21. FuelFC

FuelFC

I don't know about that Fergen. Chick I know just moved after divorce and is looking for her own shop/barn to live in. Think I might start chasin her... LOL.

22. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Very Cool! Tell more about your friend.

I meant "hero"

23. autobilly

autobilly

The guy who bought my HD Bobber (we also knew each other in the "scene" in the '80's) lived in his shop. It was/is a "factory unit" in a light industrial complex amongst various businesses. His unit was one of about ten in a prefab concrete building, with a concrete floor, very high ceiling, large steel roller door and a mezzanine level which served as his bedroom. The small office/sales area served as his lounge room. Noise was never an issue! As a contract under sea pipeline welder in the Middle East he could afford plenty of cool vehicles to fill the shop floor area. It was a cool set up and as far as I know, he dug it!

24. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Damn.....never thought about it that way!!

25. __________________
    I'm pulling for you,,remember, weer all in this together.

26. FuelFC

FuelFC

And I also know of at least one well known fabricator/builder on here that lives in his shop damn near 24/7. His only home.

And you would never know it. Hidden quarters above that just blends in to the scenery. About 800 sq ft of hidden spaces full amenities. Windows, small balcony area...

27. WILLIEJP1969

WILLIEJP1969
    from Iowa

I live in mine. it's a 40 x60 with a kitchen bathroom, living room and a lofted bedroom. The rest is all shop the only thing I wish Ihad done different would be to have added windows...

28. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

She would be "technically" single right? Ha! Go for it! :D

29. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

I'm just happy to finally have a garage.

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do. Real estate is WAY too expensive, and business too slow where I am to justify a different roof and four-walls to go to for just 6-8 hours a day.

I have a 40' inter-modal shipping container, electrified and plumbed, sheetrocked and insulated, with heat and air conditioning. It has windows too.

It is cozy, and portable. It is now in the second building it has been in since I put it together. If I threw a peaked roof on it, it could go outside too. Not ideal, but it'll do, for now.