Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1930 Model A Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billthx138, Oct 18, 2009.

1. billthx138

billthx138

Found a virtually rust free Nevada restored Model A coupe. The car was assembled in the San Fransisco plant and by all accounts it has been in Nevada, Reno then Las Vegas, all of it's life. One problem, top is to tall, it has fenders, and it is way to slow....

A little off the top, a massage here and there, slip it over the deuce frame...awe, that's better.

Attached Files:

Lil'Alb likes this.
  2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

wow, you chose a nice one to cut up.
    looks like it's coming along nicely.

3. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

You're making some great improvements there! I like the slight channeling over the '32 frame.

4. billthx138

billthx138

Only the best will do for us finicky west coast hot rodders. I did have to clean up some rust on the driver side, however, the passenger side is pristine after 79 years.

Attached Files:

5. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

I couldn't have done it. It better come out nice!;)

6. -Brent-

-Brent-

Let's see those motor mounts! Coupe looks rad!

7. billthx138

billthx138

Front motor mounts for that hot rod look. Searching for 1957 283 to go with the motor mounts.

Attached Files:

hotrodtodd1960 likes this.
  8. That is my dream build! You are one lucky S.O.B.

9. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

looking good starting with good stuff makes itl a little easier.

10. billthx138

billthx138

The slight chennel was actually very easy to accomplish. I just removed the cross braces from under the sub rails and reattached them to the top, this allowed for the 1.5 inch channel. I used the dimensions from a 32 frame set up for 28-29 highboy and it slips under the 30 perfectly.

Attached Files:

Lil'Alb likes this.
  11. -Brent-

-Brent-

Rad! I subscribed... I'm stuck not choosing what I want to do with subrails, fab my own or buy some replacements? Yours look great and I love the channel depth.

12. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

I started w/ a nice (older) resto - I couldn't bring myself to cut it up - too many good candidates out here in the west to start with something so clean to chop it up. Good luck, but in my opinion you could have saved $$$ starting with less.

13. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Looking real good must have been hard to cut that one .:D

14. Big Tony

Big Tony

Nice before but gonna be bad ass hell after... keep us updated

15. billthx138

billthx138

Actually, thanks to E-Bay I'm into the body only $1,500.00 after selling everything else to those that still are into restorations. Glad I could help them.

clem likes this.
  16. Livewire created/built by EVEL and his buds was the way to do it when it comes to building a car I feel. His build of Livewire was the shit plain and simple.

I hate when people take a perfectly good restored car and chop it up. Sorry its just retarded. I love hot rodding but especially where you are located there are still tons of cars out there that need saving. That's my .02 and I do not care to hear any responses from anyone either.-Weeks

17. even if I agree with you? That car was way to nice to cut up. I think the guy completely ruined it.

18. Pinewood

Pinewood

Great project. Keep up the good work. Don't worry guys there's enough restored model a coupes out there for people to look at. Last time I checked this board was for traditional hot rods and not original restoration. With the parts he pulled off this one he probably helped five guys restoring their cars. I think it's a wash.

What are your other plans for drivetrain etc?

19. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Who is going to buy all the perfectly good restored cars? The owners of restored Model A's are getting old (dying) and without people buying them to rod there isn't much of a market. The price for Model A's is set by those hot rodding them not the restoring crowd.

Neal

Lil'Alb likes this.
  20. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

Spray the bare steel down with the garden hose now and get that perfect traditional patina look everyone digs.

21. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Do your thing. Don't worry about the comments. That car is going to be nice as hell and with the recoup from e-bay you're saving a fortune in bodywork. Hell, in the midwest guys are paying $3000.00 for a rusted out shell. Can't wait to see more!

22. mosimpson

mosimpson

How much did you chop it?

23. bones35

bones35

damn man, I can cut some shit up but!! that was a nice car.

24. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Cut that bitch up! I love it! Your doing a great job.

25. billthx138

billthx138

I took 4 inches out, I think with the slight channel it gives the appearance of a little more. Also, keeping the amount of frame showing equal from front to rear gives the body an ever so slightly rack accentuating the chop.

26. billthx138

billthx138

Still finishing the chop, final mud work and primer to come. filled the corners where the visor connects to the top.

Attached Files:

27. edweird

edweird

Wow! What balls!

28. Like WOW man,
    That is the way ya do it, nice job, don't worry about the NA sayers, I cut one up too, and man do it look good.
    I'm watching this one, BTW, nice motor mounts

Lil'Alb likes this.
  29. -Brent-

-Brent-

I've been looking up subrails and mods and such and I was wondering, did you cut the lower lip off the subrail when you moved the cross channels up? I really like the channel depth on your car... you've got me thinking.