Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Chrome Czars and the Hunnert Car Pileup #8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hellfish, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Buckle

Buckle

Great show, my third time attending. I plan on coming and volunteering next year, fun show to end the year with (this is usually the last car event I attend each year).

:D:D:D

Buckle

2. GirardsSpeedShop47

GirardsSpeedShop47

Is there a final car count?

Thanks

3. magnet

magnet

not yet.. soon.. it was right around the same as last year though.

4. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

I unfotunatly misssed this years event due to illness....but I have talked to a couple of guys who went, and from what I've read, it was just another pile up....BIGGER/BETTER THAN THE YEAR BEFORE. Hats of to the czars and all of thier followers. You guys have to know by now, this show grows every year, so that says you are doing it right. Not every car is going to get "screened" properly, you will turn away some who should get in...and others get in that really should be out side. I have been to 5 of the pile ups, and personally one of the things that brings me back is the location. SERIOUSLY.....where else on a friday night can you go down town to main street, and step back into the sixties. Let alone saturday night.....the before and after party is just as awesome as the show itself. The town people have always been nice to me and the group I go with...that is HUGE. You also have the sunday show/swap meet that the lions put on too.....

I do not have any carshow experience as far as planning, putting on, or running one is concerened, but I have been to and will continue to go to a ton of them. I will probably not suggest the fix for what is supposibly wrong, but I will give ya my "2 cents" as an outside opinion on what I think could help.

KEEP IT IN MORRIS AT GRUNDY COUNTY SPEEDWAY. It is right.

RAISE THE SPECTATOR FEES AT LEAST TO $10. If you do go to ten, you could still charge $5 for parking, but this will require a lot of people power and planning to get the cars into parking efficiently, and be able to collect. You could go to $15 or $20 for spectators, then still "offer" FREE PARKING. Would probably be easier overall.

HAVE A DESIGNATED AREA "OUTSIDE" FOR ALL CARS THAT DO NOT PASS INSPECTION. This would not be hard to organise, yet it would keep the "not allowed" guys somewhat more happy with the fact they did not get in, and the spectators will love having the extra carshow to check out!!! I for one find myself always walking outside to check out what else is out in the lot....

Last but not least, KEEP IT IN MORRIS!!!!

If you seriously think about it, this show is done to raise MONEY for charity therefor raising the cost for spectators would be one of the most logical places to start...but, I for one, even tho work for me is slow, finances are tight, I WILL STILL COME!!! $5, $10, $15 OR $20 I WILL STILL COME!!! and I am sure that most everyone you ask would still come as well. You may loose some, but not everyone. I do know that you should not change a lot at once...that usually never is the right way to go. Try a few changes, and as far as charity goes I think raising spectator fees is a great way to start. Even if you still have "growing pains" and the crowd is too big next year, you will raise that much more for your charity!!! NOT A BAD THING AT ALL!!

Whatever you guys decide to do, one thing is for sure.....PEOPLE WILL COME!!!

5. SLACKERCCBUZZ

SLACKERCCBUZZ
    from CHICAGO

Wow!!!! I worked the north gate from 11;00 till 1;00 out of all those people that passed me i had only one person flip me off(in a little shit box nissan)1 cop bitch about traffic on i 80( sorry ! You could of got out of your car and helped)1 guy in his 2005 corvette bitch about how long he has been sitting in traffic! I say don't change a thing !!maybe the crybabbies wont come back!!! Thanks to everyone for not kicking my ass when we closed the lot. Still the greatest show on earth!!!!!

6. Hellfish

Hellfish

Actually, no. The show is done to have a hot rod show for our friends. All of you. A "family reunion" as Plowboy put it. The money is secondary. We're gald our little show can help a lot of people, but that has never been the goal. It's not a "charity show", but a show that happens to donate its proceeds to charity. Subtle difference, I know. Thanks for all your suggestions.

7. tommycarpunk

tommycarpunk
    from Milaca, MN

The show was great... I say most complaints about what cars got in or did not get in are from the people who’s cars were turned away at the gate... Suck it up take a good look at your car and see what needs to change... Or go to a different show!!! Is the show any worse if you car is parked out side rather than inside? If it is your at the wrong show anyway! I want to thank the chrome czars. They did a great job the last time I was down and again this time. I will be back next year one way or the other.

8. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

Charge the same rate for participant and spectator. Keep up the great work!

9. chopz56

chopz56

I can't say enough about the Czars&The Red Shirt Army that i'm always a part of,i always voluteer and drive my car to the show with my wife(who also voluteers)as someone else put it on here we have sort of a reuion every year and we just happen to drink alot of beer talk alot of smack listen to great music and do it all over again the next year!Count me in and the wife also no matter were it is!Just keep it up no matter what some of these complete idiots are saying!

10. truckdude1

truckdude1

My truck is now an official HCPU emergency vehicle:[​IMG]

11. mark 55

mark 55

I know what your problem is. The name is too cool.Whoever thought of calling a car show the Hunnert Car Pileup is a genius. I live in Louisiana and I just might go next year. Hope you find a bigger place.

12. Ron

Ron

Thanks to everyone that worked so hard to put on the show. This was the first year that I made it on Friday night for the party in Morris. Friday night was great as well hope to do it again.

13. koolratrods

koolratrods

would my 28 olds rat rod be allowed at HCPU or even at rust revival?

14. ...you can thank the famous Mike Zenor for that cool name...
    it's ALL his fault!

15. GaryC.

GaryC.

Hellfish: I know exactly what you mean
    about remembering the jerks more than the good folks.

16. dakotajayne

dakotajayne
    from 3c1

congrants to the czars! this was my 2nd pileup and i plan to continue attending. i hope you will work out the problems and continue this great event.

17. Hellfish

Hellfish

Mike Zenor circa 2002

More people need to come out on Saturday! Saturday night is just as fun and would be even better if more people would show up. We had 3 great bands including BLEED and only a few people were there.

I don't know. You'd have to send us some pics. Calling it a "rat rod" doesn't bode too well for you . :D

18. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

The pics are in his profile.

That's all I'm saying about that....

19. Ebert

Ebert

Rashy, you are a better man than I..but someone let me know if this thing is coming....I will stay out of the way!!!!!! YIKES!!!

20. chumscustoms

chumscustoms

i went and was told to leave also, but i will for sure be there next year if it is going,
    i took alot of crap on this site when i posted the thread on if my car will make it to hunnert, it didnt get there but i did and i was told to leave,
    but it is no big deal, to me it means that there is still a love for our hobby, and if we want we can take over a town, and cause havoc,
    so to me it was actually kind of neat, but yet very dissapointing driving 4 hrs to get there and then shot down ,
    hope to get in next year
    good luck

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

No matter what next year don't wait till noon to arrive at the event that starts at 9am cuz you will miss half of it.;)

22. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

By all means, come back. It's well worth it. And if you really want to take over a town and cause havoc then don't miss the Rust Revival in May.

23. kustom01

kustom01

I was at the show and had an awesome time! I've never put on a car show and don't know the stipulations of the fairgrounds, but an idea I had that might make sense is this.

1). Have the fairgrounds open from 5-9am for show cars. Allow showcars in BEFORE any spectators. It would prevent a cluster fuck at the gate and long lines.
    2). If you didn't make it before 9am. Tough luck. Close the gates to show cars at 9am.
    3). Open the gates for spectators at 9am. This would help ease congestion before the show allowing almost all the cars to be in before any spectators show up. Because if cars got there early and rolled right in they could get a handle on parking alot easier as well maybe?
    5). Have an ATM on site. hahah. I had to walk all the way back to I-80 to get cash, but maybe I was stupid and didn't see the ATM on site.

I don't know if this makes sense to the organizers or if the fairgrounds would even allow such an idea to happen, but just my two cents. I am really happy the show was a great success. I had a great time, loved the people and the cars. Thanks to all who volunteered and showed up to make this a great time for all.

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I guess you must have missed the part about this show is not geared or put on for specators pleasure or convience. ;) Do you realize how early the Chrome Czars, the red shirt army and the vendors have to get there just to open the gates at 9am?? Don't know about you but alot of these folks were enjoying the Red Cent the night before which is all part of the whole "event".

Also, there was no cluster fuck at the gate all morning long. It was the specator's cars that started the issue with no where for them to park.

25. **** Shudder *****

Talk about letting non criteria cars in... we'd all be drunk b/c we'd have to go straight from the bar to the gates. As it is we get there at 6 AM.

And we had an ATM last year and no one used it... so we nixed it this year.

26. damn good time. my room is already booked for next year.

27. murfman

murfman

The problem is if everyone shows up at 9:00 AM the traffic is gonna back up earlier and the po po will be shutting it down earlier. I like the Morris location, but I think its time look for a bigger venue, at least one with better access. How about the Will County Fairgrounds in Peotone? The Pileup would fit there, there is a lot more room in the fairgrounds, and close off site parking across the street etc.. The tri-5 Chevy club pulls off a nice big meet there every spring.

EDIT: Just thought about it, and I'm not sure it could be done with insurance and all, but Peotone has a nice Oval that would sure be cool to do some hot laps around!!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  28. Yikes! Can I have those 2 minutes back?

29. lilclay81

lilclay81
    from illinois

yea peotone is much bigger alot more room for parking. would be a good location. the kankakee fairgrounds is really big to.

30. carshowgirl

carshowgirl

Thanks guys for a great show!