Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Black Lightning: The Russian Flying Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Great, I still have one of those old Volga,s in the shed. Tough as nails car. It,s an old Russian tradition to drive your Volga of a building or of a cliff. Makes the panels fit better than when the car came out of the factory.

3. WhoDoYouFink

WhoDoYouFink

That's the way it goes. The low buck guys start a trend and then the big money guys come in and screw it all up! Flying car = New Rat Rod :D

4. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I dig old USSR iron. I have no personal expirence with them, but I have seen a few pics of some shoebox styled rides from our russian brothers that I thought had a lot of potential.

5. I want one of those for my next kustom.

6. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Hell yeah! That looks killer!

7. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

"I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I dig old USSR iron." Ya'll going to start singing "Back In The USSR" by the Beatles next?

8. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Reminds me of the Spiderman storyline....replace the radioactive spider and superhero suit for a rocket car. I'd actually like to see it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  9. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

Wow! The Russians are making some pretty slick movies. First the Nightwatch series and this killer gem. I'm hooked and need to find out more. From the trailer it looks like it's being released through Universal Studios which is no small feat. And those Russian hotties, Yes Sir!! Still the Volga and Moskvich are all real turds. Although turds have been known to polish up pretty nice.

10. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I really like the old iron from Russia. I would love to have one to do into a kool kustom hot rod ! It kinda reminds me of a cross between the Bat mobile with Superman driving it ! I would like to see the whole thing even with the damn sub titles !
    Whatever you think of it , that would make a kool flick for the US film makers to screw with ! What the hell , all they would do is screw it up anyway !

RetroJim

11. James66g

James66g

Ha!! thats rad. In the sequel it will either be a girl with a two door are have a slightly retarded truck friend!

12. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Ridiculous premise for a movie. Can't wait to see it!

13. 61TBird

61TBird

I know this is a severely o/t conversion for the HAMB,however,Here's a "Volga" done right...:D

[​IMG]

http://www.ladaparts.ru/hotrods.php

14. I've lusted after that Volga crossed with the BMW 850 for a long time.

15. MODELA30

MODELA30

Come on guys that russian flying car does not have nothing on a flying delorean. Then you can listen to huey lewis while you fly it or drive it how ever you see fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. autobilly

autobilly

The movie might be interesting in a B-grade, kitsch kind of way, but lusting after Volga (vulgar) BMW hybrids? That is sick, wrong and OT!

17. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

I'd drive it!

18. monsterflake

monsterflake

check out this little flying car...

Attached Files:

19. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

OT? Give some of these guys here a Vulva....I mean Volga and they'd gave it chopped, lowered, flat black and pinstriped in a few weeks! ;)

20. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Wow. What a transformation! Kudos to the guys who did the work on that little gem. They really turned a mundane piece of iron into a beauty.

21. daddio211

daddio211

I'm always wondering what's going on around the world in their car cultures. This is cool to see what the Russian film industry can come up with.

If we're waiting to see it released in the US you can be sure Universal will destroy it with political correctness that doesn't exist in Russia. You know, like the car burns E85 at the rate of 1 gallon per year but Congress is trying to shut the owner down because Al Gore said it was endangering the "potatoe" crops? And don't forget paying respect to the ACLU with a token gay relationship. Thanks alot Hollyweird!

I'd love to see the whole movie with the subtitles in chopped English just like they are. At least it would be (or seemingly to me) in a more pure form.

Okay, soapbox away.

Cool post, thanks for sharing Jive!

22. flamingokid

flamingokid

Why not just enjoy the movie for what it is.BTW,love that Russion rod.

23. kyhotrod

kyhotrod
    from Kentucky

Vid removed from YouTube... dang it.

24. synthsis

synthsis

From my VW days these Volgas would come up frequently in discussion. The one pictured above was basically coach built for some uber-rich Russian guy. There's another one based off of a BMW 8 series chassis too.

25. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I remembered this thread this past weekend because this movie is on Netflix under the foreign film section. Sort of targeted towards teens, but it wasn't terrible.

26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Holy Sturgeon & crackers, Bat Man! That build looks sweet to me! Dare I say it? It reminds me of a little Italian GT coupe, kinda Ferrari-Maserati-Alfa-Fiat or Iso-Griffo-ish, even. Gary