Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hudson Essex

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldrodder43, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Gigantor

Gigantor

Okay Perley, if that doesn't work out let me know. I have a third of a cord, mostly birch, just sitting by my house. I had big plans on getting my old woodstove installed this year, but don't see that happening anytime soon, so if the little bit of extra heat would help you out, I could throw those logs in the back of my truck and bring them on by.

2. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

Sam, you are a Friend indeed! I'm getting a lump in my throat. :eek: What a great gesture. I really couldn't ask you to do that, man, that's a long drive and you're a busy HAMB already! I surely do appreciate that offer though. Keep in touch please! Let me know when you are getting ready to start on your Essex. Be glad to brainstorm with you on your ideas etc.:) Perley

3. I'm no expert, But I was with one yesterday. as mentioned above 32 was the transition year and the only year it was badged as ESSEX TERRPLANE. I was looking at a 32 Essex Terrplane roadster 1 of 4 known to exist and a 38 Terrplane with 22,000 original miles. really cool stuff the Roadster held the hillclimb record for 1932. take that you ford guys. I just got an old Photo of my uncles 34 Terrplane that got totaled when tried to beat a L.A. street car and lost

4. WOW, you were looking at a '32 E-T ROADSTER!!! That is an extreme rarity and I mean like a hen's tooth - they only made a very few in '32 and '33. Then in the Australian market they made like a dozen more in '34. I dunno about any later than that. Is that roadster streetable? Get a picture??

Both the second half of the '32 model year and the full '33 model year were known by the name Essex-Terraplane. Then '34 through '37 were 'Terraplane' only and on the way out in '38 they got called Hudson-Terraplanes so they really were eased in and eased out! For example, the '33 I owned years ago was a Essex-Terraplane 8 convertible coupe, model KT.

Can you scan the pic of your uncle's '34 and post it for us to appreciate? Thanks.

5. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

i have a 31 essex rumbleseat coupe. i think its gonna be for sale soon though.

6. 24riverview

24riverview

Some before and after shots of a local car, 1928 I believe.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I have this 34 sedan I need to get back to work on. Need to finish the chop. It will be raised slightly with different offset rear wheels so they stick out of the body a tad. Engine will be early hemi or a 6 cyl mercedes. :D

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  8. TikiBoi13

TikiBoi13
    from San Pedro

I like hudsons essex, cool looking cars in a sea of fords and chevy's

9. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

10. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

WOW, what a wealth of H.E.T. information and pictures. Thanks everyone! Please--Keep them coming.

11. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

24 Riverview, nice & clean! Sure wouldn't be considered "radical" by anybody, would it?

12. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

yeah thats pretty much the look i was gonna go for with my essex, with a rover and t5 for power which i have, then i started planning the hudson 308. but the latest plan is sell it to some one that will enjoy it the way it is.

13. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Wow, that looks great! Btw, it would be a '27 not a '28. IIRC '27 was the only year without a body line on the cowl.

14. 396skip

396skip
    from MN

Heres a friend of mines car....told him I want to buy it.....

Attached Files:

15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

<a href="http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg107/lippy055/?action=view&current=03-0942191620G.jpg"Trouble with my Photobucket, sorry.

16. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Lippy? Yo, Lippy!!!

17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Jimi, I can't get my photobucket to act right! LOL. I was going to put up a couple pics of my 34 Hudson sedan. I'm working on it. Lippy:D

18. Hud, that stepdown doesn't deserve to to hide behind anything with the cool engines mods your doing!

My barely pre-war 1942 Hudson Coupe project is beginning to finally pick up a little (very little) steam lately. I've got a brand new set of 2" dropped spindles/disc brakes assemblies (designed for 55-57 Chevy) installed using 'adapted' original lower arms and re-engineered upper arms. Looking to order new set of lowered rear springs soon as I find the right rear with 3:73 gears. The straight eight engine is in the machine shop as we speak. Plans call for mild mostly stock with self engineered multicarb intake and headers built for driving.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  19. Oh yeah, not much to see right now except my 'vision' for the future.

Attached Files:

• IMG.jpg
      IMG.jpg
      File size:
      233.7 KB
      Views:
  20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Figured it was something like that, Lippy. JUST joshin' with ya, buddy!

21. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Can't have a Hudson-Essex page with out my 37 Terraplane. Bought it in 85 and finaly getting my interior finished. Started driving it in 94, still working on it, little at a time.

Attached Files:

22. ratster

ratster

essex thread? how'd i miss this.

23. ratster

ratster

here's my 27 essex

Attached Files:

24. koolratrods

koolratrods

kool old essix, I saw some say "tell your boobs to stop staring at my eyes"

funny line ?

or the one "its not a hot rod unless it has 3 pedals"

well I thought of one ," its not a hot rod unless the headlights are bigger than tits"

anywho i just posted pics of my 28 olds rat rod and she does ware a drivers 1/4 ,fender ,and tail-light from an unknown year essix
    the light was connected to the fender when i got it and the fender was connected to the 1/4 panel,and now that all is connected to a 31 pontiac front clip all held in place with an S&H green stamp

25. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

hey Perley, thanks for the compliment. I was just looking at the pictures you put up of your Essex and it's looking great. There certainly aren't many of them around, which makes it even cooler.

yeah my dad is definitely into hot rods. Last month he chopped a '37 Ford cab for no reason other than the fun of it, stuck it on a frame with an old flathead eight and put it on the lawn as a "lawn ornament". I don't think the neighbors get it but oh well. We have a four bay garage that my dad used to run his business out of that he and all three of my brothers work in. It's crowded but we consider ourselves lucky.

shoot me another private message if you're ever in the Augusta area, we'd love for you to stop by. I don't find myself in the Ellsworth region too often but if i ever am i wouldn't mind seeing your Essex either! :D have a good one

26. Great looking '33 Essex Terraplane 8 convertible coupe. I recognize that car.

27. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I have a buddy back in Calgary AB that has a street rodded '32 Essex 4-door. It's not HAMB friendly, but it's a beautiful car.

28. frank spittle

frank spittle

This is a '33 8 cylinder Essex Terraplane Convertible. 1933 was the transition year and the only year they were called both. This particular car is one of the nations oldest hor rods, a documented hot rod since 1940. It first ran a hopped up original straight eight engine. It would blow the doors off a flathead V-8 Ford. Then in the late fifties it was changed to 331 Cadillac power with 2-four barrels. The Carson Top was added at the same time. Ten years later it was converted to Blown Chevy power. Then to the stock 454 Chevy that resides in it now. The paint and interior are both 40 years old. I was shocked to see it on this thread. I sold it back in June to Ivan Zaremba in California. I owned it for 41 years. It is nice to see Ivan has already had it at a show. At the front wheel you will see the sign NHRA had made for it when we were invited to the U.S. Nationals Hot Rod Display at Indy a few years ago. I'm already missing it.

29. Would love to see Ivan put another hotrodded Hudson Straight 8 back into that car. Course I'm a little biased to those straight 8's.:D Awesome and historical rare hot rod there-loving it!