Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

And one more thing!

Any of you ever have, or know anyone that had one of these? I remember seeing them advertised, but wondered how many actually sold.

Neat units!!!

[​IMG]

2. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

Josh a friend of mine has 3 he wanted to trade me about a week ago Cheep

3. larrypfitz

larrypfitz

Attached Files:

4. 64mod

64mod

The answer is!!!!!! a front bumper!

5. 64mod

64mod

Ive been wanting one of those 1/4 scale cars. Have him contact me. Ill help him sell them. Thanks.

6. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Good info Larrypfitz. I saw that roadster and wondered which car it could have been.. neat!

Thanks!!

JD

7. rootbrothers spl.

rootbrothers spl.
    from indiana

Was at Rushville at the Oldtimers meet there tonight and was talking with Fred Johns owner of the Tuffy's #25 Kurtis Midget. He's looking for a picture of the car on the track or in the pits in its day for documentation. It must have the Tuffy's showing. Anybody have anything?

8. BS_in_SC

BS_in_SC

This was my first trip to the "Little 500" - 1966 Front Row
    Dean Mast (#64) Rollie Beale (Ken Lay #8) Tommy York (#27).
    I remember pulling for all the NW Ohio drivers, but mostly Rollie (My childhood hero). Rollie Beale, brother Al Beale, Karl Busson (he use to work with my brother at Devilbiss Corp.) Benny Rapp (his pearl w/ candy apple red trim # 14 was one of the best looking sprinters I can ever remember), Darl Harrison (future 3 time winner), Duke Cook, etc. The entire starting line-up was awesome for that matter. Dean Mast won if I remember correct.
    Thanks for this memory Josh!
    BS

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Buzz Gregory #32, Dick Good- Winchester 1964.

Attached Files:

10. bobjeffreson

bobjeffreson

Corngrower 32
    What timing....I just got hold of a brand new Pacesetter sprintcar. When I say brand new, it was built in August 1980 and has never been run. Not a mark on the car, not even on the under tray. Friend of mine found the car in Texas and knowing that I race 1/4 sprintcars here in Australia, offered it to me.
    Now in the process of being restored, which is really only a polish and get the engined firing again. Also changing the radio system to Australian standards. This car will never be driven when I do get it going. It's too good for that.
    Ron Mayes,
    If your friend is after a buyer for any of the cars, I'm very interested.
    Here's mine. The windscreen was taken off for shipping.

Attached Files:

11. A follow up on the Tuffinelli Midget. Here is a photo I took today at the Rushville vintage show. Here is Freddy and Caroline Johns.
    HG :cool:

Attached Files:

12. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Few update pics on the car on the main table in the shop.

66' Watson copy. N.O.S. body and frame, never raced. (never built either, so.. I've had to fabricate ALL tabs, brackets, stops, and mounts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a new helper in the shop. It's an Amish boy named Abe Lincoln, :D
    naw, really it's Tyler Hilton, hell of a hot rod builder!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Hutcho

Hutcho

Nice pics Corngrower you guys seem to have an endless supply of great old cars & pics,must have something to with the 300 million population i quess? BTW the #26 car driven by Bob Platt I remember using 1 of those helmet bubbles in kart racing about 1969/70 they were very pliable when I track tested it at 1st meet,cost me another bubble but saved my face.I cant rememder may have been called Bercko Bubble?

14. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

Maybe Buco, as in Buco helmets? Also made by Paulson, who made the bubble googles all the good ol' boy taxicab drivers used to wear.

15. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

Chrome on a roll bar is never good. It probably broke b/c of hydrogen embrittlement. Any race car part should be heat treated right after the chrome process. I believe it was in the USAC rule book, but I think very few people did it. We once had a roll bar break on one of Ray Smith's Ward cars with JP driving At Dayton. One more roll and Parsons would have had a bump on his noodle.

16. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Butch Evans,
    It sounds like you have a connection to Ray Smith. Can you tell me any thing about the spring front, stacked bar car that Vogler, Bigelow and others drove? It carried numbers 14, 5 and more. It appears to be a Stapp car or could it been built by the Smith people? I know that Ray bought the Stapp house car#27 in 1968 and became #6 In 1969 with Greg Weld driving, but this was a different car.

17. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Got some more of Wayne Doebling's stuff scanned. The date stamp on this one is Sept. 11, 1971, indicating it's probably the Hoosier Hundred. I know it's after 1969, but there are no cages...

[​IMG]

18. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Wayne's date stamp says this one was also taken in September of 1971...

[​IMG]

19. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Not sure where, but the date stamp says June of 1969...

[​IMG]

20. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

On this one, Wayne's notes on the back say it's JR in Wally Meskowski's car, quickly losing oil pressure at Winchester on Sept. 15, 1968...

[​IMG]

21. Buildy

Buildy

Great stuff-Love that shot of Mario at the 71 Hoosier 100.

22. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by oldebob [​IMG]
    To be really honest I don't know what the engine is. The car is owned by Del Mclure out of Portland. It is a late model Chev GMC DOHC 6 with Hillborns. He ran a Champ car team for a lot of years. His vintage champ car , Hemi Desoto w crossover Hillborn stacks has always been one of my favorites. They have been working the bugs out of this one for a couple of years and it is really running STRONG. With the injectors and exaust and a lot of stuff trimmed off the covers and block it is actually a pretty nice looking motor.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Can't be sure if it's the same car, but some time back this engine was discussed here, and it does appear to be a late model Vortech I-6. (?)
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG]

</FIELDSET>
    There are now also 4 & 5 cylinder versions of this engine available in the new replacements of the S-10 Chevy/GMC pickup.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  23. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

When I picked up my midget restoration project I shot these pics. This is one of several buildings the guy has with restored cars, cars under restoration, and cars in waiting. I did not see what was in the other buildngs.

Blacki-Suede

Attached Files:

24. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

4 more pics. Amazing what one guy can collect, and this is the "to be restored" building. The guy may be willing to part with some of these waiting projects. He has several TQ projects he is willing to sell, as well as the rail framed car with body shown here in image 1 (MI 5 .jpg).

To many projects, not enough time.

PM me if you are interested, I'll give you a telephone number.

Blacki-Suede

Attached Files:

• MI 5.jpg
      MI 5.jpg
      File size:
      331.3 KB
      Views:
    • MI 6.jpg
      MI 6.jpg
      File size:
      148.3 KB
      Views:
    • MI 7.jpg
      MI 7.jpg
      File size:
      121.1 KB
      Views:
    • MI 8.jpg
      MI 8.jpg
      File size:
      120.5 KB
      Views:
  25. Butch Evans

Butch Evans

Hey Wynns; I remember the car but I had started running my own car by that time (#27 Nothing Spl) and I wasn't working full time for Ray then. I'm thinking it was a Roger Beck car and Curt Waters from ARC might have been the connection. The Stapp car was good and Greg brought the STP $ to the deal which made Smith happy. I later put a cage on it and Jerry Poland tested my welds at Cincinnati.

26. Hutcho

Hutcho

Yep your right Mr Jones,Buco bubble visor

27. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

[QUOTE=Hutcho;4449201]
    I first thought this was a good looking #3 but when I sat down I thought this is a great looking #3,thats from my view anyway. :D[/QUOTE]

<LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This car -- the Honker II -- is a Don Edmunds single tube chassis.

It was origionally owned by someone out of Chicago, IL and driven by Bob Tattersall. If memory serves me right it was all white when Tattersall flipped it at Hershey, PA, in an USAC/ARDC co-sanctioned event.

Ken Brenn bought it and it was driven to many feature wins in both the ARDC & USAC by various chauffers. Bert Brooks lost his life in it, at an ARDC event at Hershey, PA. That tragedy - I believe - really accelerated the use of cages. It was a wreck that Brooks might well have survived had there been cages on the cars then.
    There's an Al Consoli picture elsewhere on this thread of this car as the white & red Ken Brenn #35 Offy, with Bert Brooks up.

A truly superlative gentleman - Pete Petraitis from Huntington Station (Long Island) NY then bought it. Sonny Sanders (aka Anthony Madonia) drove the Petraitis Chevy II #40 to many victories in both the ARDC and the SMRC. Under the Petraitis banner Sanders took the checkered flag at the only indoor midget race ever on Long Island. The headline read (something like) .... OLDEST CAR - OLDEST DRIVER WIN INDOORS. (Actually it was the second oldest car there.)

The Petraitis/Sanders/Honker II combo out of the Petraitis stable was know as "ONE OF THE (Long Island, NY) BAD GUYS"!!!!

All in all this car has quite a loooooong history of winning!!!!!

The last time I saw this car (running) was after it sat for many years, I'd helped convert it to run on racing gasoline (ease of maintainence) to by used as a pace car in various Pete Petraitis Memorial Races.

Maybe it was somewhere along the line, but I don't remember the car being yellow & red as pictured here.

Of course I wonder where this car is now (Austraila??) and who is it's current care taker?

THANKS
    -Ken

28. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

I'll repost Al Consoli's picture of the Honker II when Ken Brenn owned it, with Bert Brooks driving.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?????? This might NOT be the same car.

A quick glance shows MANY differences.

Front & back radius rods are different, as is the dry sump tank. Outside hook (brake) and weight jack are either very different & one or the other is missing.

I never remember this car having a hoop over the nose at any time.

Throughout it's history the front bumper distictively had the letter L in it (not just a verticle bar).

Now I'm wonfering if this #3 is the real Honker II or a nice tribute car???

Attached Files:

29. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Hey folks as GRRRRREAT as this thread is, many of the things here should really be posted on/added to the "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  30. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I got a couple of them.. One is "blue" NOS still in the paper.

My buddy owns this company.. check them out. They bought a whare house full of original Helmets in Ohio.. (like 6-7 THOUSAND!!)

http://www.justifieddefiance.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21

I got a NOS Rebel flag helmet with a blue Bubble shield off them earlier this summer. There pricey, but they are the real thing, with aperfect NEW liner in them. The Shields even have that "rotten eggs" smell to them,, :D