Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead ford V8 engine colors ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by quickgene, Aug 25, 2009.

1. quickgene

quickgene
    from duluth mn

I think this is about right for a 1950 type flatte.[​IMG]

2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster

Here's a bronze:

[​IMG]

3. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Great thread. Any pics of the dark blue in '41?

4. ocfab

ocfab

5. Would really love to see the dark blue or tangerine. Anyone have any pics?
    Matt

6. OLLIN

OLLIN

btt. this is a great thread! These are the kind of details that make a car really period correct.

7. 1950merc

1950merc
    from Butler, PA

From the factory what was painted the same color as the block and what was black (pumps, pulleys, dipstick, oil filter, breather, etc.)?

8. Bringing this one back up to see if anyone has a picture of the Merc dark blue color?

9. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

I've seen some that were kind of goldish colored, I always thought that was the bronze color. But then again, I've seen some that color too, I've just never stopped to think about it.

10. Freeman1938

Freeman1938

I use the early Ford green from 'Mac's Antique Ford Parts.' Part # RSP6.

11. FTreadway

FTreadway

Mac's Antique Auto Parts sells the Ford green engine paint. They claim it is the correct shade, but some of their claims on other parts/tools have not even been close. I just ordered 2 spray cans from them but, I will have no way of knowing for sure if the shade is correct.

12. 49FordF-1

49FordF-1

Fast forward to December 2012......

Lots of great info here guys! I stumbled on this post while searching for correct colors for my 49 F-1. Very surprised that red was used for those trucks. I have a 50 8BA going into my 49, completely rebuilt, painted RED! Now, I crapped up the paint "experimenting" on other colors I thought to be origonal, or close to it. Stupid, stupid, stupid..... Sooo...... who has the most correct shade and sheen for the ol' 49, even though its a 50 motor?

13. 46 Flathead

46 Flathead
    from Florida

thanks for verifying the engine colors. I plan to repaint my 46 flathead without pulling the motor. The time will be in the prep and masking. Any tips to avoid overspray? Also do you know what color the hood hinges (and trunk hinges) were originaly?

14. King Callie

King Callie
    from Virginia

Got my Ford Bronze paint at Bill Hirsch. They have all the colors for each year. The paint quality is excellent and is available in spray cans or pint/quarts for those who wish to spray from a gun. I was happy with the finish and would order from them again.

15. Two words: Roy Nacewicz. He worked for Ford and procured the correct paint formula. His shade of green matched that of my NOS "A" parts perfectly.

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

A reasonable but unproven yarn about the change from Ford green to blue on 239s that took place circa 1941:
    The earliest 239's in '39-40 came in green, and visually were identical in every way to 221's.
    They had a 1/4" stamping of "99" punched inconspicuously into the intake surface to distinguish them.
    The "99" stamps disappeared at least close to the time of the blue 239...I suspect that assembly foulups caused by the very inconspicuous stamped mark led some genius to come up with marking that could be seen easily...blue paint. After the war, they were all 239's...and so all blue.

17. Ford Antique Engine Green. You can get it at Snyders Antique Auto. I use it on all my flatties.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Here's my 283 painted with the dark green that Roy sells. He lives close by. The paint is spray able from a gun and the color is bad ass. Cool guy too.

roy nacewicz 734-654-9450
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

19. Ian hall

Ian hall
    from Uk
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

"Tangerine red" in my 53

Ian

Attached Files:

20. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Interesting post....my 41' Ford Flathead has always been 'red' since I got it 40 years ago....but, I really like that color of green...gives it a more definate vintage look in my opinion....never knew what color that actually was, but I sure like it!....my 31' Ford jalopy is bits-and-pieces of many years, so I don't imagine is 'period' correct....I ''do'' like that color;)

21. metaldave

metaldave
    from michigan

22. metaldave

metaldave
    from michigan

There is no such thing as a correct green. If ford had some extra paint that needed to be used up they dumped it in A little extra black or blue wouldnt matter.

23. Please cite source(s). I have a very difficult time believing this...Henry was thrifty but also very measured. I'd be willing to bet Ford had an exacting formula for every paint used during the Model A through flathead V8 era.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  24. looking for a source for the later year blue [teal] color for a 54 mercury pickup. paint code? or a quart of enamel supplier?