Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Jerracer

Jerracer

Here's some pics of the 47 Kurtis I lettered recently. The owner, Steve Enright was kind enough to send me these and let me post em. I also lettered the "5" in the background.

Attached Files:

2. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Awsome work.. some of my favorite childhood events were watching the sign painter come over and letter our midgets. It isnt as easy as some of you guys make it look..

3. Hutcho

Hutcho

:)Nice car ,not a lot of signwriters can take a good car & make it look great.Fantastic job do you make house calls?

4. Jerracer

Jerracer

Here's a couple more. Hutcho, yeah I wouldn't mind going to Austalia again. I was lucky enough to go to Melbourne back in 88 for the NASCAR Thunderdome race. really enjoyed your Country.

Attached Files:

5. Jerracer, your work looks great & the car looks great, any idea of any history for this car??
    mlight9.

6. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

7. larrypfitz

larrypfitz

Harley, your comments regarding Fred and Caroline Johns -- and Gene Hartley -- are right on the mark. Fred and Caroline are great folks and have supported many of our events with their #29 Offy roadster midget. My Gene Hartley story goes like this: The paint was barely dry on my newly restored #16 Watson Simoniz Spl. roadster when I got a call from the Speedway inviting me to join a few others to parade our cars immediately before the start of the 1992 500. I had driven the car a few times at a local airport to unscrew any obvious problems, but the car had never yet been on a race track during its "second life". The parade included several cars from the museum and a few privately owned cars, all to be driven by "vintage" drivers. It was an honor to have Gene turn the first laps in my "new" car, the same car he had driven in the 1962 500. It was a great day for all of us, except that it was soooo cold that morning -- 35 degrees as I recall.

8. Hutcho

Hutcho

Melbourne!south of the border mate,we call them mexicans here(hope thats not offensive over there,its a joke here).I notice the tyres you have 3 slicks 1 tread did this car run asphalt? I run my first season on the black stuff & loved it(in what I think you call TQ) in1983/84 season.Coundnt get enough heat in the fronts so grooved the tyres to brake up the wide contact area to make it work harder,instant temp.One of my friends Barry Graham was sensational at Liverpool,he then did well at thunderdome & now is doing real well in US (Richard Petty deal) as did another friend Walter Giles.Walter resides in US was spannerman for Marcos Ambros but has since moved on.
    I would like to get a pair of used Goodyear fronts as on my Larry Rice car 68x13x7.

Attached Files:

9. racer5c

racer5c

Thats a good lookin 5!!!!

10. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

As good as Reigel was on dirt (especially Hatfield) .. when he was on asphalt he was the opposite. .. On asphalt he almost looked like he had a death wish.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  11. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

see the kids in the tree behind the cotton farmer and j.r. crash? they must have told that story many many times

12. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Hell yeah! :D Just like the "kids" that are on this thread telling about there younger years!

13. jimg12

jimg12

Little Fauss, I have not been on here for a few days. Thanks for your nice remarks about my Sprint car. The car looks mauroon in the pictures because it was real cloudy that day. It is real Candy Apple Red and Pearl White and look much better in bright sunlite.It started life as a caged sprinter and I wanted to make it look like a late 60's car. One guy did the frame work and the Root [the ones on here] Family did the paint and lettering, so I can not take any credit for the what it looks, but I like it- glade you do too.
    A little on Gene Hartley. I drove for his Dad[Ted] in USAC midgets in 1966 and got to talk to Gene several times. He said he could make more money racing than working and he did not like working, so he raced. Whe he was driving the Bolander car that he used most during the year he won the Championship he had Ted do something new on the car. When everbody started using inside brake pedals they were still connected to the outside lever, so when you used the inside pedal the outside lever would move and everyone could tell when you had the brakes on. Gene did not want everyone knowing when he used the brakes [you used them sometimes to help steer the car as well as to stop]. So he got Ted to fix it so he could use the inside pedal and no one knew it. It took awhile for the others to catch on, so he had a small advantage for a small time.
    Jim Graybeal

14. Jerracer

Jerracer

I Thought you'd like that.

15. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

I could ne wrong, but I thought it was "BILL" Dunham (Dallenbach).

The name Dunham came from Dunham's Creek Road - on or near where Larry Dixon lived in ?Marietta? Ohio.

The Brenn sprint at Trenton was an Offy (vs sbc's) and if memory serves me right at Flemington he was in Brenn's Trevis (Offy) midget.

I was standing with Charlie Hophan (who Dallenbach had driven for - for quite awhile - in the ARDC), who was VERY SURPRIZED to learn the Dunham was actually Wally Sr.. The beaautiful black #29 Hophan Offy was the former Ken Hickey Kurtis. Dallenbach won his first midget feature ever driving that car for Hophan at the 1/2 mile dirt Orange County Fairgrounds Speedway in Middletown NY -- "OLD TIMERS" might remember it by it's previous name -- the Victory Memorial Speedway.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  16. Hutcho

Hutcho

I first thought this was a good looking #3 but when I sat down I thought this is a great looking #3,thats from my view anyway. :D

Attached Files:

17. butch27

butch27

I did a ride along with Barry Graham at Lowe's. We had to test the track after a rain. Hit a wet spot and slid and he never lifted. FUN!

18. Buildy

Buildy

Hutcho-Thanks for posting photos of one of my all time Favorite Midgets!

19. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Not a bad looking #3 at all.. For Vinyl. :p

20. brandon

brandon

just one of those effects you can't get with a brush:rolleyes::D

21. Jerracer

Jerracer

The original was one of many done by the late Paul Kneirem. It was done with variegated leaf as I remember. Paul's work was awesome and is what inspired me to first learn how to draw race cars and later on to learn to letter them. I have an original painting done by him in 1963 of Marshman, Parnelli, Ruttman, McCluskey, Ruby and Elmer George from the 62 season. As soon as I get over to my storage unit, I;ll dig it out and get a pic of it and send it in for ya'all to enjoy.

22. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

What the heck is a picture like that doing in a storage unit!?!?

23. Jerracer

Jerracer

Long story....

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The C-T Automotive Special. I believe this was the first sprint car that Willie Davis built and Johnny Rutherfords first 'official' USAC ride.

Bobby Marvin getting pushed off at Ascot, late 1962, between the Sacto-Phx.champ car races.

Clay Robbins racing Allan Heath at Ascot, early 63.

Later in 63, Chuck Hulse at W/G. Although it has a few changes I believe this the same car.

Attached Files:

25. Hutcho

Hutcho

Your a lucky man butch I guess you needed a pitstop yeah.Thru the 70/80 Barry run Grand national sedans on the pavement(asphalt) 1/4 mile banked Liverpool City Raceway,He entertained thousands of fans each week & held his own up against some of the greats you had,like Big Ed Wilber(what a character)Gene Welch,Rodney Coombs,Hank Butcher etc etc.Hes one of the gentlemen of the sport.

Your welcome buildy,let me tell you your dream car is maintained immaculately & used regular by a real enthusist & all round great guy,Graham Gallagher.

Mr Corngrower thanks for pointing the vinyl out to me,from where I sat I didnt have time to notice! ;)

26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

That's a BEAUTIFUL midget! and the rest is hand lettered. Looks great!!

27. Offy

Offy

The car on the outside pole appears to be the Mocca Bros. Offy from Missori and it was usually driven by Don Carr Don recently passed away in St Petersburg FL.

28. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

I have had the vintage car bug for a long time, but street rods kept getting in the way. Recently, after a long absence, I went to Winchester Old Timers deal, and bit the bullet. Attached are some images of the midget I recently purchased. Should keep me occupied for a while. Appears that the car once had a SESCO in it, was being converting to a Chevy II, and never finished. 1965 style Edmunds, or Edmunds copy, frame, spring front, cross torsion rear, bolt on cage (that will be taken off). Seller said this car was driven (and maybe owned by) King Kramer, a three time AMRA champion out of Lansing, MI. Racer 5c belives it may have ties to Benny Rapp. Any info would be appreciated.

Blacki-Suede

Attached Files:

29. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Several more images that may help with info.

Blacki-Suede

Attached Files:

30. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I was Steve Bixler's shop the other day having some machine work done, and stumbled on a pack of pics. He owns the restored original Vivian Buick car. These are some pics with the car, or having to do with it.

I'm sure some of you might recognize a few faces here. Feel free to point them out.

Thanks,

JD

---------------------------

[​IMG]

Check out the snap on grille protectors for towing!! VERY COOL!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]