Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Tach Collectors Show and Tell

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scottrod2, Nov 25, 2007.

1. mow too much

mow too much

Kaydub.........neat gauges

2. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

Here's some I have 1st one is in my Buick Wagon, I have two of them, one for a spare and they work perfectly. The second is a 4000 rpm Sun Tach that I have in my 65 Chevy Truck.

Attached Files:

3. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Stewart Warner cable driven works clockwise or counter clockwise 5 1/8th

Attached Files:

4. Carguy365-24-7

Carguy365-24-7

I have this Airguide tach but it doesn't have any switch to select the number of cylinders .From what I've found is that it's from a boat?Can anybody give me more info? PAUL

Attached Files:

5. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Airguide did lots of boat accessories like clocks, compasses, barometric guages and stuff. I have an earlier model Airguide in my 54 - pic is posted earlier in this thread. I gutted it and put Dixco blisterpack blandness inside. At least it works.....

Based on what I found inside mine, (which admittedly is an earlier model) your Airguide is prolly going to need a sender unit I reckon.

6. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Hey, where can I get a 6v positive ground tach for my shoebox?

7. Carguy365-24-7

Carguy365-24-7

Thanks.That's what I figured.....On to ebay it goes...PAUL

8. mow too much

mow too much

Heres a couple I have.[​IMG]

Yutan Flash likes this.
  9. Kurto

Kurto

I'm looking for a vintage pedestal tach that reads to 10000 or 11000rpm that would have been available in the early 70's. Any suggestions? There's some damn nice ones in here but not many read that high!

10. Paul Windshield

Paul Windshield

11. Here's mine, won't work because of the magneto in the car.

Attached Files:

12. Studedewd

Studedewd
    from USA

Here's one of mine.

Attached Files:

13. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Scottrod2:

The Stahl tach you have was made around 1967 or 1968.

Jere Stahl was know for making some really trick headers that worked on small block Chevrolets in drag racing.

Dick Moroso used Stahl headers in the mid 60's with a great deal of success and his corvette was kind of a test car for Stahl headers at the time.

I remember a few sets of headers that Dick put and went slower they were send back pretty quick to Stahl for some more work.

Jere Stahl and Dick became friends and around 1967 Dick was offered a position working for Stahl in York, Pa. Those were the days when the decals and stickers said Stahl & Associates.

That working relationship only lasted about 1 or 2 years and Dick moved back to Connecticut. That is when he openned the store on Greenwich Ave. and really started Moroso.
    Before the move to York, Pa. Dicks business was known as Performance Automotive and located at that time on Cannal Street in Stamford.

Dick knew that Jones Motorola made tachs for submarines on Fairfield Ave. in Stamford, Connecticut so he used them to make the tachs.

I believe that the idea really came from someone else for the tachs that Dick either knew or got wind of from some where.

Nice to see some of the original tachs are still around.

Jimbo

14. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Pat Swanson put this one together for me,
    he used a body and innards from a speedometer like the one next to it with a new face

[​IMG]

15. Paul

Paul
    Editor

couple more

'nuther mechanical SW

[​IMG]

and my favorite, a Dixco from Vashon, WA

[​IMG]

16. AlteredChevy

AlteredChevy
    from Chi Town

has any one ever seen a "GAS RONDA" sun tach

17. Like this one in my 409 car?

[​IMG]

18. Muttley

Muttley

No, but I have a Gas Ronda RAC Tach. This one isnt mine but looks just like it.

[​IMG]

19. scottrod2

scottrod2
    from Columbus

Thank you Jimbo. Excellent information about my tach.

20. hoffbug

hoffbug

Guys.. Any idea who the manufacturer of the tach on the left might be?

These both came off vintage Brutanza "Brut" snowmobiles made from 72-74 . We had never seen a tach like the one on the left.. The one on the right was used in 72 only.. and the 73-74 used another style altogether as shown in the bottom picture on the left..

Maybe this is a prototype.. what thows me off is most SW stuff has "RPM in Hundreds" printed on the face like the one on the right.. The one on the left we think might have been a prototype has "RPM in Thousands" printed on it..
    Any ideas?

[​IMG]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

73-74 main production tach on left..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  21. guffey

guffey

this is about 5&1/2" in diameter

Attached Files:

22. 289 Sportscoupe

289 Sportscoupe
    from California

Hi guys. I pulled mine off a '68 Ford F250 at a local salvage yard. I've never seen a Faria tach with the Ford logo/script, only the Rotunda or Faria script. Anybody have info on it?

Attached Files:

Yutan Flash likes this.
  23. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Just picked this up, I believe it was made by Dixco. PO said he bought it in '68 and ran it until '74 when he sold the car. He put it back in the box and packed it away. Doesn't have a mark on it, it looks like brand spanking new. Never heard of OK Tire and Rubber though.

[​IMG]

24. johnnie

johnnie
    from indiana

I have one of those. I found mine at a swap in Ohio. Picked the one in the first pic at the same time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  25. There are a few OK Tire stores here in Ontario Canada. One here in Parry Sound!

26. turdchazer

turdchazer
    Member Emeritus
    from Spokane

Not sure but I thought I heard somewhere that Dixco made the tachs for Napa???

27. Here's a pic of a tach I had in my 67 Mustang GT in 1977 when I was 18, I bought it second hand at Valley Speed and Marine in Kamloops, BC for $16. I've never seen another Gas Ronda signature model(RAC), but a few months back one of the mainstream car mags, either Hotrod or Car Craft had a feature on vintage tachs that had a photo of one, I've often wondered if its the same one. Final bid was $116.​

Attached Files:

28. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Thanks, found out there used to be some in Iowa up until a few years ago. Sounds like it was a fairly good size chain.

29. indianhead74

indianhead74

I remember Stahl as a force in Jr. Stock drag racing, Jerry Stahl manufactured headers. Didn't know about the tachs. Was Jones an English firm? Indy

30. dam8

dam8
    from mass

Guffy, I love the tach with the vac wow don't see many of those!