Register now to get rid of these ads!

Welder price advise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poofus1929, Oct 13, 2009.

1. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

I need a small 110 welder for sheetmetal work. The local pawn shop has a used Lincoln 3200HD that I can have for $150 out the door. The only catch is that it is missing the regulator, The ground clamp is wasted and the gun is kind of beat up. Plus it has a few minor scratches on the casing. Is it worth it? I don't really have any experience in pricing the smaller welders.

2. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

Sounds like something I'd go for,,, then regret it.

I think you can get something similar, new, for around 3 bills.

3. AntiBling

AntiBling

Is it missing the regulator or was it never set up for a gas regulator? If it was a flux core machine you may have to buy a whole kit that includes wiring and a valve and a hose to run it as a MIG machine.

Other than that sounds worth it, don't worry about scratches or a beat up gun.

4. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

It has the fitting on back for the gas line.

5. A regulator will cost you $100.00 new.

6. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

7. Diavolo

Diavolo

I spent around $500 for a small bottle, a cart and a Lincoln from Lowe's a few years ago. People make cracks about them all the time, but my little Lincoln runs on 110V, is easy to roll around the 2 car garage without running into anything and has turned many separate pieces of steel into joined together pieces with never a worry. They aren't great, but they are REAL handy. If I had a million dollars, I would get a fancy mig/tig/espresso machine that rubs my feet when I am working under the car. For now, it does the job as good as I need and is well worth it to me.

8. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

9. budd

budd

i would never buy a used welder that i couldn't try first, could be totaly burnt out, theres another thread on here about a new welder that only cost $149 new, it was a non-gas welder, but if your handy at all you could convert it yourself for a few bucks.

10. Watch out for those $150-$200 welders, you get what you pay for. I have seen the cheap welders keep the wire "hot" when you let off the trigger. The trigger just turns off the feed. This makes Filling holes VERY hard. A good buddy was having problems with his welder filling holes, I went over to help and found this out. I sure the Lincoln you are looking at will not do this, just don't compair it to a new Harbor Freight unit price wise.

11. I have a 110 Lincoln that I got new, liked it at first now I am always using my buddys 220 or the one at work. After a while you learn the linitations of the 110, go for a new 220. May cost more but you'll want to buy one anyway after you spend the $150 + extras.

12. txag01

txag01

I have the Lincoln 110V 3200HD mig at the house and I love it. I have had it for about 6 years now and it has worked extremely well. The machine would have initially come with the gas set-up and the machine is only "hot" on trigger. It is great for up to 3/16", but is a little sketchy when you get to 1/4". A small spool of flux cored wire is only about $8, and would be a cheap trial to make sure it works before purchase.

The price seems decent, but here is an "like new" setup on evil bay that comes with everything:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150379716449

13. ever talked to anyone that had exceeded the "duty cycle" on a welder? funny thing is most novice welders can't weld long enough to exceed it but when it happens the IC board is toast. hey i'm no millionaire but after seeing a few junk used ones puchased by friends cheap i'll stick with new.

14. Vinny of Destruction

Vinny of Destruction
    from wisconsin

DONT BUY IT!!! To start its a rip off!! you can buy the same machine new for 2-300 bucks
    Second I wouldnt touch a 110 welder they weld like crap and are really inconsistant with voltage output.. just search craigslist you can find a decent used miller or lincoln mig for cheap ;) Most likely the seller will let you test it to boot.

15. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

For really light duty stuff.....yea.....you could go with that.......
    Save your money..... and get a 220 machine.....at least a 145 or higher...........you can always turn it down some and you'll be alot happier...........

16. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Its a lincoln, and the "same one for 2-300 bucks" is complete bullshit.
    All of your bitches about a 110 welder is coming from the 2-300 piece of chinese crap, not a lincoln, miller or hobart.

As for duty cycle, at the last shop I worked at we had a lincoln 110 welder that we bypassed the duty cycle completley, wide open all the time, guess what, we burned it up. AFTER 3 years of use.

17. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Best advice----Don't buy that incomplete welder---Like buying a car one piece at a time ----It will cost you too much to get in proper welding status----Step up & buy a new name brand welder, Lincoln, Miller, Hobart etc.----Don (welding since 1951).

18. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

I already have a Lincoln 175 that I use for heavier stuff like framework and it is as strong as a horse. It is too strong for bodywork even turned all the way down. I just need the 110 machine for sheetmetal work. Trying to use the 220 machine on a 1927 body doesn't cut it.

19. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

Offer the pawn shop a crisp $100. He likely paid $50 for it. Both parties will be pleased.

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

A waste of 150 bucks if you ask me..save up another 150 and go get a new one...you can thank me later

21. holyroller

holyroller
    from KTOL

I'm in the same boat, got a Lincoln 110v to learn on and now I'm always welding with mike's 220v. Spend the extra $, You will be happy you did!

22. TomH

TomH

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  23. Drive Em

Drive Em

That is a good deal,the Lincoln 3200 is up around $500.00 now at Home Depot. You can get a good regulator for about $60.00. You will have to buy a bottle with the new or used one, so that point is moot. I have a Lincoln 3200 HD and it works awesome, but I am a welder and I weld everyday.

24. txag01

txag01

I mostly use my 3200 for sheetmetal, and it works very well for that purpose. It welds 18 and 20 gauge beautifully when using shielding gas.

25. Vinny of Destruction

Vinny of Destruction
    from wisconsin

I hope this doesnt come off the wrong way, but if you are having blow through problems its you not the machine (unless it broken).. Ive used many L175's for sheet metal as thin as 26 gauge without an issue.. Its lowest setting is 30A which should be fine for any body panels. The Miller I currently use is 40A at the lowest setting and I weld 22g metal all the time without a problem.
    Check this out hopefully its usefull to you ;)
    http://chromeczars.com/board/showthread.php?t=1496

If you are still stuck on 110 Id say go with something like this then
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Lincoln-Work-Pa...ders?hash=item5ad218900c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

26. mottsrods

mottsrods

I just today, picked up a used Millermatic 130XP. It had a new regulator with it, and a new 8" spool of .030 wire. It had one problem, the potentiometer (wire feed control) was bad and guy I bought it from didn't want to try and fix it. I took it back to the shop, pulled it out, got the part number, called my welding supply guy, they had it in stock, for $12 bucks. I put it in and started welding. I ran a fillet on 3/8 and it got great penetration. All told, I have $62 bucks in it........thank you craigslist.

Look to see if you can find you a used millermatic. You won't regret it.

27. Squablow

Squablow

I don't know where you guys are getting brand new comparable-sized Lincolns for $2-300 but I'd like to know.

I've had my Lincoln SP100 for about 10 years and I've never felt like I've needed anything bigger. I only do bodywork and auto related stuff with it, that's all I've ever needed. It's not like a car's chassis is a 1/4 thick or anything.

Good welding is way, way more about proper prep work and less about what size welder you have. Personally I feel like if you buy this unit for $100, then buy a new regulator and bottle, you'll be happy, assuming there's nothing wrong with it beyond some wear.

Not everyone can afford to drop $800 on a new, fairly basic name brand system.

28. zombo27

zombo27
    from E-town Ky.

X2. I agree totally with this statement.

29. shoeboxsean

shoeboxsean

i bought a millermatic 140 autoset for like$ 650.00 from airgas through Deckard Sr.on the hamb and its the best little machine for the money . it only cost a little extra to go first class.buy new you wont regret it unless you come across a deal like mottsrods.

30. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I don't want to start a war here but this is just MY way.
    I would never use a mig welder for body work. I can do a far
    better job with a gas welder. No bondo or lead needed.
    All steel beats bondo any day.
    I can see the use of mig in a production shop.