Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody run a Magneto on the street?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrBelvedere2, Oct 13, 2009.

1. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

I was just wondering how many people are running magnetos on thier street cars, if any? or is it more of a race only type application? I was talking to a guy and he said he loves it on his street car gives alot of power for spark, just have to wire in a kill switch or else the car will keep running when you go to shut it off. I just never see magnetos on street cars is there a reason why?

2. Ron Bair

Ron Bair

Probaly because of the cost. In the 1960 a speed shop owner ran one on his station wagon. there was no problem. Todays electronic ignitions provide a hoter longer duration spark.

3. I run one in my 34 chevy with a 348. Runs fine with no problems. Sometimes I forget to throw the kill switch on.

4. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

There is no advantage to running a mag on the street. Most mags don't have a mechanical advance mechanism. This makes starting hard because you have fixed timing.

5. squirrel

squirrel

there's a clown here in town who has them in two of his cars. Drove one all the way across the country and back with it....the guy is nutso

6. TERPU

TERPU

He's been seen in my neighborhood as well

Mags are great, run it.

Tim

7. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

cool thank you for the replies.

8. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run one on my 45 H-D. Alittle crankie starting sometimes but i think it is the Linkert carb not the mag.

9. panic

panic

Bad:
    most have no mechanical advance mechanism
    most have no vacuum advance mechanism
    all require very small plug gap, like .020" - bad for mileage
    must remove from the car if you weld on the chassis
    points and condenser are expensive
    maximum plug voltage less than modern HEI, Dura systems

Good:
    very resistant to plug fouling
    dead battery? you can push-start it

10. bignateokc

bignateokc

I ran a don zigs on my 27 t and now a sarello frankenstien mag on my 29 a no probs plus they just look cool just dont shock yourself it sucks

11. oldtime

oldtime

Ive had one on the 283 in my Forty for ten years, it's a Vertex with mechanical advance. Been absolutely bulletproof and it sure makes the rubes look.

Old Time

12. von Dyck

von Dyck

I ran a Mallory Mini Mag with the Power pack coil on a 426 Hemi powered '68 Charger. Took a trip from Saskatchewan to Texas, over to west Tennessee, then back to Canada. Even got 18 mpg (Cdn gallon) on one leg of the trip - not too bad for a dual 4bbl carb setup. Yes, it has mechanical (centrifugal) advance. Yes, it starts with battery assist during the cranking mode. Yes, the plugs had to be regapped to .018". Yes, the points will last almost forever due to the small amount of current flow across the points.
    BTW, disconnect the battery ground for any electric welding on any alternator or computer equipped vehicle!
    Mallory still stocks points for their dizzys and old mags, but not much else.
    Don't know a whole lot about the Vertex except this - like any mag they kick pretty hard if you happen to have your finger at the wrong place at the wrong time. Nuff sed.

13. Isn't the magneto that little item that puts out the big shock??

It seems as if I recall my Dad saying that in his college days they would
    hook a magneto to a metal door knob - and the next guy to grab the knob got
    a shock.

So, why couldn't a magneto be wired to the body of your car as a theft
    deterrent? Not to mention keeping those pesky folks from touching at
    a show. Would probably need to invent a remote with a clicker to turn it
    on and off.:D

14. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

I run a Vertex on my flathead, lots of miles with no trouble

"Doc" Parsons

15. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

I run a old don zig mag in my 23 t bucket with 2 750 carbs no problems the harder you turn it the hoter the sparke. But they will knock the hell out of you, I KNOW

16. RAY With

RAY With

I have run Vertex back in the days in a small block chev,a flathead and a Y block on the street. I never had any problems but in todays cars run the MSD ignition.